Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

http://www.gearbest.com/diy-parts-and-tools/pp_194381.html
Aluminium Bare Pill for UniqurFire 1405 / 1504 Flashlight - SILVER 132436801

What KKW said above, or if you don’t feel comfortable soldering on the battery +ve you can also add solder blob on the driver spring instead.

Hallo guys,

I am new here. I would like to create a new flashlight for my brother as a gift. I have next idea. To buy an UF 1405 and modified LED and driver with this kind of led and driver:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-30W-6V-Cree-XHP70-Warm-White-White-Led-Emitter-Lamp-Light-5-Modes-6V/32494172921.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.55.ZcsGd4&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_2_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201560_1

do you think, is it possible? I am aware of that, the driver is 15 mm high and probably there will be not enought space for it.

Please be so kind and try to help me. Do you think that it is good idea a XHP70, it is almost 4000 Lumens, I think it is amazing.

Thank you guys.

Hi Bublifuk, welcome to BLF. That led plus driver looks pretty good to me, if it does what the specifications tell it will be a great mod. One worry is if the ledboard, that looks to be a copper board, has a direct thermal connection to the core (or that the heat has to pass a dielectric layer), which would help a lot for getting the heat out of the led. But you will not find that out before ordering it anyway..

The next question is, that chip of XHP70 is 7 x 7 mm and XM L2 only 5 x 5 mm. So there will be need of increase hole for chip. I saw some improvements, where was removed the small lens above the chip (I dont know how it translate), but is it really helpful? Manufacturer have some reason why it is is there, or no?

I’m planning the same build. You need to find a 17mm Driver and a 16mm MCPCB. The MCPCB in your link looks like a 20mm one. So you’ll have to file it down to the correct size. Better to just find a 16mm one. I got mine from Mountain Electronics.

Also if you can get a brass pill from a 1504 it will be better because its brass, so you can solder the led mcpcb directly to it for better thermal transfer.

If you want to use the screw down retaining ring you may need to file it open a little bit. I plan on soldering the mcpcb directly to the brass pill so I wont be using it. I think its just there to press down on the mcpcb, so you could use thermal adhesive, but I dont know if thats a good idea considering how hot these leds get.

Heres my 16mm xhp70 that just came in next to my 1504 dedomed s42b build, same pill size, for comparison.

Uffff, it is really bigger :slight_smile: Where you ordered the XHP70? Could you add here some link?

Thanks.

I got mine from Mountain Electronics. http://www.international.mtnelectronics.com/

Yes, I forgot about the 16mm ledboard. Mountain Electronics currently is out of stock for all XHP70 on 16mm boards, but the 16mm version from them is also a 20mm board that is filed down to 16mm, so I would just go for the Aliexpress version and do some sanding. (I have a electric disc sander for that with a small aluminium block clamped on the table to get rid of the heat while sanding).

I am here again. :slight_smile: A postman just brought me flashlight. It is really big. But I am dissapointed. The driver inside is only aproximatelly 16-17 mm gross. And the driver which I want to buy from Alliexpress is 32 mm gross. But for XHP70 isnt probably so small driver. Could you help me with this somehow?

I do not know if this thread is still alive.

i have put in a new driver (LD2) with ultra low resistance and a XP-G2 S4 2B dedomed led.

tailcap current is max 3.3 amps and declining to under 3 amps.
This is because of the higher Vf of the S4 led.
voltage at the led is 3.9 volt which is good.(after modifying tailcap)

even with the lower current(the driver can do 6 amps) it is more powerfull then the Xp-G2 R5

i am hitting the 1600 meters now(light up a windmill 1600 meters away)

if only they would make a new led with a lower Vf

1600m? Nice!!

I want to reach the 800m, why? Because I think it is cool to be able to light the castle towers at 800m :wink:

So I can’t find any good reviews on the Uniquefire 1504 (since I prefer not to be forced to use 2 cells in series.)
However there was a BLF groupbuy, RMM sells the host so it must be good.
Where are the reviews on this flashlight?

Good choice? or better idea to go with the 1405

NVM ordered the 1504 and make my own review :wink:

A couple of things.

I assume that the windmill was white, or close to it. I assume you were just able to make out that it existed at that distance, but you weren’t seeing much detail.

I assume these things because at 3.3A to a dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B a 1504 is under 500kcd. At 500kcd (generous, more like 400-430kcd) the 1504 would have a rated throw of 1414m. I know that I have been able to “see” things at distances 30-40% greater than the calculated distance in optimum conditions, but that it’s a loose term. You can see that the object is being illuminated but almost all details are invisible to the naked eye. I suspect you’re in this category, and not that you have some super secret modifications that boost your output to over 640kcd,which is roughly 1600m of throw at .25 lux.

Going to a 1405 with a buck driver at 5.5A to a dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B will gain you about 100kcd over a 3.3A 1504.

The highest output 1405 I’ve made makes 675kcd, but the one I use the most runs about 640kcd. Getting to these levels takes more than a driver and LED swap.

For someone wanting a high output 1504/1405 and willing to go up on lens size, talk to MEM about printing a bezel to hold larger lenses. He’s already made a few.

Another factor which can make him see the windmill could be that the windmill is really big.

By the way…

The 1405 can achieve 675kcd nowadays?!

MEM is printing a bezel to hold larger lens?!

And since when BLF has a new forum interface like this?!

Oh boy, I didn’t come to BLF for quite some time already and now all these modding madness has came to a different level… LOL!

Sorry, I can’t find the pics. Didn’t someone in this thread put an MT-G2 in a 1405? I’m seriously considering this mod. Any ideas/ suggestions?

I can’t find that thread either… I definitely remember someone posting beamshots of an excellent aspheric output from an MT-G2.

My brain is saying it was nickzom maybe? Or LSX? I think it may have been a sales thread

I have. I didn’t take beamshots before I sent it out though.

1405 with MT-G2 thread I made