Update December 14: Ultrafire 504B XM-LT6 Black and Silver at DD for $13.15

My 504 hits 4a. Probably why they burn up. With an unprotected samsung.

silver/black now 13.99 before discount

How bad is PWM flicker

Longtime Lurker, first time poster.

Mine arrived today, but I think I have a bad switch. It worked correctly once or twice, cycling through all 5 ;-) modes. Now, however, instead of modes of (high, mid, low, strobe, SOS) it gives (high, high, high, high with flickers at the strobe frequency, high with flickers in the SOS pattern). I tried taking the tailcap off, and using a penny to complete the circuit. It was much better, but still occasionally had the problem. Newer zinc penny, not that it probably matters. Shouldn't be a heat issue, as the longest it has been on at a time is less than a minute.

Does that sound like a bad switch? Do you think DD will work with me on this? Summer???

Thanks for all of your help, both past and future.

P.S. No PWM on mid and low, the few times that they worked.

Try unscrewing the switch ring a little and then re-tightening it, a pair of tweezers should do it. Also check the solder joint between the driver/pill for a crack with a magnifying glass.

M.

Could be a lose/improperly seated drop-in. Check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. I had tried it according to the troubleshooting guide at the other place.

I didn't try gorilla style tightening, as I'm a little leery of damaging it in case I need to send it back. It feels plenty tight, though.

Oh well, have you tried unscrewing it though?

Yeah, I did loosen the ring on the switch, and then re-tighten. No change.

I do think it is with the dropin, now. I took it out, then put it back in. Now, the penny gives the high-with-strobe-and-sos-flicker, and the switch is all high, all the time. So it did have an effect.

I wouldn't mind it so much if you could run it on high and drain the battery. However, this makes it pretty useless as a prolonged photon source (PPS).

Thanks so much for the prompt help!

What would be the best way to check? The led is surrounded by the white spacer on the top, and I am nervous about removing it on the off chance I need to return it.

How does DinoDirect usually handle these kind of things?

TIA!

Wish it wasn't 5 mode

Updated prices

Anyway all who have one better change the POS driver that came with to something congenial. Also do not forget the foil wrap around the dropin! It's still a XM-L afterall, and at 1,5A+ heatsinking is very important.

Budgeteer, what is a POS driver?

Piece Of S#!T driver. im assuming the horrible pwm i got in my 502b

Okay, I was wondering, POS,
I even used google, but it didn’t show anything related to drivers : )

there is no pwm flicker ...I know ... like a miracle huh ?

I just wanted to thank this thread for pointing out a great light. It took only 9 days from checkout to opening the parcel and with the free dinopoints mentioned in another thread it was one of the cheapest, yet brightest lights I've got. Plus it has, at least to me, a great tint.

You must have been lucky... 9 days.. Anyway, great we could help you with it!

The flashlight is fine if you do the driver swap. The reflector could be better if i may be picky.