UPDATE! groupbuy: Lumintop EDC05C - first 100 pcs only US$29.99

Yes you’re right. It’s just my opinion. :slight_smile: I also understand when someone cancels an order.

To be clear i did not made a order yet because i has waiting for additional information, so no cancel from me.

That it takes XHP35 is cool (too bad it’s Cool). The dual purpose side Nichias for hi-CRI flood are nice, like a Geek.

But now that it won’t also take AA (for backup purposes), I’m out. Will wait for future releases.

I found one Chinese site with more photos including the typical Lumintop brown box and some pages of the chinese manual(OCR and translate if anyone want) Chinese site

Interesting... My sample didn't come with the cell, charging cable, or manual. It did come with the typical nice Lumintop box, but probably same box as the EDC05, just different name.

The cell looks to be 750 mAh, protected, button top. Shame - wish they would go with a 1000 mAh, like the Vapcell.

That’s good news. Will it be a separate version or will it accept both AA and 14500?

Really disappointed, was sold as working with both 14500 and NiMH (though could only charge 14500) and it doesn’t work with anything I have. The Sanyo UR14500 and PKCell have pretty pronounced top buttons but either this is defective or it needs a ridiculously tall button. Going to try to get a refund as neither NiMH incompatibility or button-top was specified. The tailcap does come with a tool, but doesn’t look like it’s going to hold up to many removals before the shallow slit gets chewed up even if you’re careful. Should have just been a regular screw-cap like every other light.

I need a couple more 14500 so I guess I’ll order some AW 600mAh button tops for $10 more. Seems only the gold Vapcell really has more capacity at 2A (using lgyte’s tests), the UR14500 isn’t really made for 2C, and calendar life matters more to me that capacity. I have an AW 16340 in a HDS clicky that I bought with the clicky almost 10 years ago, that still tests out around 80%. And, mooch, though he hasn’t tested 14500s, says if he had to recommend one, it’d be the AW.

Very annoying when listings are incorrect. I would never willingly buy a light that only uses button top cells. It’s a lazy, cheaping-out, design compromise, and this isn’t that cheap a light.

Did you read my review first? Thought I made it clear about the battery issues - only 14500 button tops:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/56005

I just received my Lumintop EDC05C.

After reading about Tom E’s issues with flat-top 14500s, I checked with my flat-top 14500s (I only have 2 models of 14500 with flat-tops: a Sanyo UR14500P and a PkCell flat-top 14500). On my first tries with both the flat-top Sanyo UR14500P and the PKCell 14500, I got them to work immediately.

However, subsequent tries show that if I rotate the battery, then sometimes these flat-top 14500s won’t make contact. So I have to rotate the flat-top 14500 battery a bit and check that they make contact (don’t tighten the tailcap yet). So, it’s a hassle when one is in a hurry. But so far, after doing several trials, I’ve been able to make my flat-top 14500 batteries work properly on the EDC05C.

Regarding the “tool” — I was wondering what that metal plate is used for (I tried using my fingernails and then a coin to unscrew the tailcap at first), then I read your message, and noted that the “metal plate” is the “tool” for unscrewing the tailcap (the manual doesn’t mention anything about the metal plate, so I had been wondering why a metal plate is included in the flashlight package). Thanks for mentioning its use. :slight_smile:

“Did you read my review first? Thought I made it clear about the battery issues”

I ordered it from a Facebook group buy post before there were any reviews, and apparently with a sloppy cut & paste set of specs. Had to even ask the question if the battery was replaceable. It said NiMH but also said “built in LiIon” so it wasn’t clear if it was RovyVon type that makes the whole expensive (relatively) flashlight a disposable item (or a challenge to find a replacement battery and not destroy the light replacing it). Answer was that the LiIon was replaceable, and it worked with NiMH. Don’t blame the messenger, do blame Lumintop for not writing a fresh set of specs. I hear that copying text is tempting for non-English-speaking companies once they have a translated version, so maybe the specs in Chinese were correct. Who knows.

Anyway, it’s so annoying that they could have made the contact 0.5mm thicker and avoided this problem.

It’s not like reverse polarity is a problem given how it’s not designed to have the battery changed often, and there’s no excuse as far as ease of construction like with the 3 or 4 18650 in parallel lights where they use a contact ring instead of the individual contacts that would be better but a bit more difficult.

I had a tiny magnet about that thickness, maybe 1/32” x 1/8”, that patches the defect in their design, but I know there’s a risk it’ll shift and short out the cell, so I’ll be just as glad to have the AW cells here in a few days.

On the positive: the side light is much brighter than I expected, despite the diffuser, and very nice quality “beam” and color rendering. If they make another side-light version with a regular tailcap and flat-top & NiMH compatibility, I’d get one for work.

coupon doesn’t seem to work.

I also tried it, doesn’t appear to work because they are currently running a special offer price of $31.99. Or have the first 100pcs already been spoken for?

SB is right - the Flashsale does block the code

(not sure about the 100 pcs)

I'd find it rather surprising if the existing light could be made compatible with NiMh/Alkaline. 1.5v to 12v is quite the boost.

Most likely, the path to compatibility is to use a 3v LED instead and to switch the side-light to a parallel array instead of series. Boost circuits for that are already common.

Well, so much for the AW 600mAh (red) cells. Hope it’s OK to say this, but an eBay vendor starting with “r-l” sent me some that check out at 300mAh and drop below 4.1V after a full charge. Probably 2015 stock or something. Sigh. Not having an easy time with what’s a really nice flashlight to use. Guess I’ll try to return those AWs and give the latest-and-greatest yellow-wrap 1Ah Vapcell 3A rated button tops a try from 18650 or one of the non-eBay non-Amazon stores.
Tried my other UR14500 and the button looks pretty big for a flat-top, but not enough to make contact after a few tries. Sticking with the tiny magnet for now.

Is this group buy over?

I’m very interested in this light and looking for the best combination of price and shipping time.

Many sellers appear to be out of stock.

Thanks.

Your code still working for the EDC05C, i pre - ordered 3 pcs, thanks Martin … :sunglasses:

Thanks!

I just pre-ordered 2 with your discount code.

Their description still says no battery, so I guess I’ll know when I receive them. I don’t have any 14500 batteries.

Now the waiting begins.

If you don’t have any fitting 14500s, I recommend the Vapcell 1Ah button tops. Got a 4 pack from one of the main web retailers and they work perfectly and run a long time. Actually get over 900mAh on my tester, so almost glad the AWs didn’t work out (& I did end up getting a refund).

agree, but the last picture show a cell included, any mostly pictures say more than thousand words… :person_facepalming: