UPDATE: Hello Frontier Fiber! [Goodbye Viasat satellite internet. Goodbye Starlink internet!]

A Viasat shill/spambot appears in this thread?

I don't think you'll get much love around here.

(Also, a number of your claims are straight-up lies.)

I received an email from Starlink today.

I created a password, and signed into their website.

My family should be getting Starlink internet service in December 2021!

TRANSLATE with
COPY THE URL BELOW
Back
EMBED THE SNIPPET BELOW IN YOUR SITE
Enable collaborative features and customize widget: Bing Webmaster Portal
Back

We received the Starlink kit yesterday and hooked it up.

Today, Starlink internet actually started working!

So, yesterday we had 3rd world internet, and today we have 1st world internet.

Woohoo!

On December 1st, I got an email from Starlink.

They wanted something like $500 for equipment so that I could get their internet.

Elon Musk: Gimme $500 for 1st world internet.

Me:

Also, a special thanks to kuoh for making me aware of Starlink!

Excellent photo, not the one i usually see.
And congrats on getting excellent internet! :partying_face:

The internet is very fast in the house with 5 GHz.

With 2.4 GHz, it's kinda slow.

In my detached bedroom, the internet is also kinda slow, even with 5 GHz.

The Starlink router's range is terrible.

I probably need to order an item so that I can hook up my router to Starlink's router.

Once that's hooked up, I'm hoping we'll have better internet throughout the house and in my room.

Do you have a router from your previous provider or did you have to send it back?

We have to send the ViaSat router back, but that router only works with ViaSat.

I have two routers that I purchased, and each of them probably have better range than the Starlink router.

By the way, the ViaSat router has a superb range.

It's about the only good thing about ViaSat.

I just ordered this doohickey for $20:

https://shop.starlink.com/products/us-consumer-ethernet-adapter-gen2

That will allow us to use our own router as the Starlink router has no ethernet port.

The link asks for username/password but odd that there is no Ethernet port to attach a router to.

Oops.

Here's a screenshot...

Yep, it is strange that there is no Ethernet port.

They're obviously trying to save a little money.

That will solve your issue since you hook up a good router.
But yeah, nickle and diming is silly.

Congrats on your new internet service! Please do keep updating this thread, I’m very interested in how well it will work long-term in the real world.

There are a lot of variables here to take into account. The theoretical maximum speed of 2.4GHz should still be enough to handle the full bandwidth that Starlink is giving you. And even if it’s not quite the full maximum speed that the ISP offers, at the very least it should still feel subjectively “fast” and definitely not “slow”. Try running (and sharing here) several fast.com internet speed tests, and especially notice the ping time, which makes a bigger difference in perceived speed than the actual maximum bandwidth. If you still feel slowness on 2.4GHz it’s almost surely due to congestion of the WiFI spectrum in your neighborhood. It’s a major major problem that renders the 2.4GHz band almost useless in most areas from my experience. It’s as if everybody had a walkie-talkie in each house on the block with only 3 channels to choose from, and they’re all constantly pressing the push-to-talk button at the same time. (And yes, the analogy of “only 3 channels to choose from” is applicable to 2.4GHz WiFI, even if routers technically have 11 channels to choose from, only channels 1, 6, and 11 don’t have overlap.) It could be that the new router is using a different 2.4GHz channel that is even more congested than what the Viasat one was using. Or, it could be on auto channel select mode, and most likely all the other routers in the neighborhood are too, and they’re constantly doing a sort of musical chairs dance and changing channels to try to avoid stepping on each other, so in the lapse that your old router was disconnected and the new one was powered on it might have gotten the short end of the stick in a pileup of routers that ended up on the same channel. Maybe try an app like this to get an idea of what the 2.4GHz spectrum looks like around you:
WiFiAnalyzer | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

As for 5GHz, it technically has higher max bandwidth, but the real reason why it feels faster and is more reliable is because it doesn’t suffer from the spectrum congestion described above. It has way more channels to choose from, and more important still, its range is significantly less than 2.4GHz because the frequency doesn’t penetrate obstacles very well. That’s usually a good thing, because there’s very little interference from neighbors, but the bad part is it probably can’t reach some areas of most houses. My router’s 5GHz signal can barely reach inside a bedroom ~4 yards away, and I only have about 50% signal in my office that shares the same wall where the router is mounted on the other side. So that’s probably the issue in your detached bedroom.

But with all that said, it’s also likely that they gave you a poor quality router. I’ve noticed that most complaints about “slow” or unreliable internet isn’t really a problem with the ISP’s internet service itself, but rather with the junky router they lease to their customers. What I do is put the ISP-provided “router” (which is actually a fiber-optical terminal plus a wired switch plus a wireless switch plus router functionality all rolled into one) in bridge mode, so it acts like a dumb pipe that just passes packets to the far superior router than I purchased separately. I personally prefer MikroTik routers, they somehow manage to offer the most features for the lowest price, and they continue to provide firmware updates even for ancient devices.

Here are some speeds from speedtest.net

(I haven't tried fast.com yet.)

ViaSat maxed out at about 16 Mbps down.

(It was frequently a lot less. Many times it was impossible to just surf the web.)

In "the house", Starlink maxes out at about 180 Mbps down.

In "my bedroom", Starlink maxes out at 28 Mbps down.

The reason my room is so much slower is because my room takes up half of a detached garage.

The distance from the Starlink router to my room isn't that far, but there are TWO exterior walls in the way, and one of them (the garage) is metal.

Inferior routers cannot deal with those two exterior walls very well, but like I said, I have two much nicer routers that should be an improvement.

So far, we haven't had Starlink very long, but I think the potential is excellent.

My main worry is that Starlink will change their Terms of Service in a negative way, though I don't think Elon Musk companies are known to do that sort of thing.

With Starlink, our pings are around 30 ms.

With ViaSat, our pings were 600-700 ms.

I received the Ethernet Adapter yesterday, and installed it today.

I hooked up my best router (out of two), and it's working right now.

I need to get an even better router, one that has extremely good range, especially on the 5 GHz band.

Then I think I'll be set internet-wise.

I ordered this router, which was made in 2020:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H8ZLKKK

I couldn't find a router with very good feedback, but I narrowed it down to three different routers, and this one was cheapest by far.

(I was only looking at routers that are $200 or less.)

I think it'll be a big improvement over our current router, which was made in 2015.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0V2NQ8

Shortly after placing the above order, I cancelled it.

Today I ordered this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJJ3RGW

This one is not very cheap, but it is powerful.

Hopefully it works out for you —- We have an area in our house (master bedroom) that we have problems with for my wife’s office —- Wireless works OK , but lags with big files— I used one of the Wall Outlet ethernet setups that I had from years ago —- put one by the router and one by her desk — it uses the house wiring — now the test speeds are always a steady 60mbs —— off the router hard wired / 5G measure 180mbs and 2.4 measure 35mbs —- but she has to be docked

Unfortunately, that technology won't help my situation.

The main house and the detached garage (where my room is) are on different electrical grids.

It's a great solution for other people, though.

And it looks like a Star Wars type fighter :slight_smile: