UPDATE: Hello Frontier Fiber! [Goodbye Viasat satellite internet. Goodbye Starlink internet!]

Yeah, I didn't choose it for it's looks, but it does look cool.

By the way, the LED lights in front can be disabled easily, which is a good thing.

I have been extremely unimpressed by Asus routers. I’ve seen complete device failure after a short lifecycle, or if you get lucky with one that lasts then Asus loses interest in supporting it with security updates, and you end up with a huge security risk on your network. Just a very sloppy company with a throwaway profit-focused mentality.

@sb:

Which brand/s of routers do you like?

I could cancel my order again.

Ahhh, gotta love Amazon. :wink:
I’m a diehard MikroTik user, unbelievable performance/price ratio, and they keep offering updates for all their devices for decades without exceptions. They can be insanely complicated to configure for more esoteric networking configurations, but they have a fairly consumer friendly quick setup page that covers 99% of most needs.

I find today everything is the throw away mentality of companies —- It seems like if you’re lucky enough to buy in their product line that’s good, then you’re lucky —- reading Reviews is kind of useless and I would never buy anything if I took them seriously

I bought this router for my wife’s office —It’s just for their personal Wi-Fi —- The main computers/ phones are on State Farm’s crap — She has a big / long building (100’ from router to furthest point ) and it seems to work fine for the cameras etc ( by saying this I’ll have trouble next week LOL )

My internet at the house has the Reset Blues lately — every since they started a new Sub Division near by

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6CFM39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Absolutely this. It’s shocking how everything is so poorly designed and cheaply made these days.

Hmm...

Their wireless routers on Amazon.com do not appeal to me at all.

If I needed a wired router, that might be a different story.

I think I'll stick with what I ordered.

It’s kind of our own doing — If some one makes a Good Product , then some one makes it cheaper — human nature kicks in — the crazy part is sometimes the cheaper one last longer

That's fine, but don't be fooled by the antennas or lack thereof. The antennas on those consumer routers are just for show. What makes a real difference is how selective the radio is at picking out the signal from the static, and MikroTik routers excel at that.

Way way back when I had a local Staples near me (literally walking distance) and they had some pretty insane sales, I “stocked up” on WD routers.

“Whuuut? WD made routers?”

Yeh, and they’ve been rock-solid reliable for at this point probably over a decade? Had one as an always-on 24/7 router (N600) fed by my cablemodem, and a couple for my NAS farm (wired-only, no contact to the outside world). Dumping Rectum and already signed on for FIOS, so “borrowed” one of my NAS-farm routers (N750) for that. Dropped right in, as expected, works flawlessly.

Pretty unobtrusive, too. Looks like a flat piece of Tupperware.

If I want to get pretty hardcore about security, I think I’d stick with a switch vs a router. Make it device-specific.

That's news to me.

I have read the exact opposite of that on all other websites that I've gone to.

It's too bad that Dong hasn't reviewed any MikroTik routers.

Dong has been a great resource in my quest.

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-routers/

Yeah except that starlink is slowing down. It will not be able to keep up. Once folks jump onboard it will be like dial-up….

Elon Musk’s Starlink Is Quietly Expanding, But Speeds Are Getting Worse

It's pretty fast right now.

Starlink promises 100-200 Mbps down.

With ethernet, I got 330 Mbps down.

I agree that it might slow down in the future.

Only time will tell.

I have 1 Gbps fiber and to be honest I don’t notice much difference when I’m wired to the router or when I’m on a wireless connection getting somewhere around 100 Mbps. There are 5 of us in the household and normally just stream and do the usual browsing of the internet, so not much in terms of requirements. Large file transfers are certainly faster wired but that’s not something I do a lot of.

To be honest I don’t think that most people would notice the difference in speed for anything over 50 Mbps. For things I do latency and website response time is more important.

I may not notice the difference when surfing the web, but when I'm downloading large files, I notice the difference.

Just got caught up on the thread and congrats on finally having reliable access to the connected digital world, now just wait until you get into the virtual world! As for the signal issue in your room, keep in mind that it isn’t always the router that’s the main problem as it usually has the advantage of high power and a better antenna. Many times the issue is the signal level from your device with a smaller antenna transmitting with limited power. You might think, well that only matters when I’m uploading, but when downloading, your device has to acknowledge each of those packets and when the router can’t hear you, it has to wait and retry many times, hence the slow down.

I know it’s a little late now as you’ve already ordered, but if that router doesn’t pan out, you might consider going with a mesh system. While it still uses wireless to connect the nodes, you can place them close enough to each other to have reliable and fast links, but each node can broadcast usable wireless on each side of the obstruction. Just make sure to get a system that uses 5GHz for the node to node relay, as the cheap 2.4GHz ones can hurt more than help, especially in RF noisy areas. I’ve been using Ubiquiti wireless access points for years and all the current generations have builtin mesh capabilities. Keep in mind you may still need to have a wired router if you go with APs only. I’m a proponent of keeping the router/FW functionality separate from wifi as the ones doing double duty often aren’t great at either. Believe it or not, I’m still running a roll your own router/FW called M0n0wall from over 10 years ago on equally old hardware which is more than capable of handling gigabit speeds and have easily upgraded my wifi to new generations at my own pace and at reasonable costs. KuoH

My router is mesh compatible.

If I get another Asus router, they can create a mesh network.

I just did a little research on mesh networks, and I might do that if I think I need to.

I tried to cancel this order yesterday, but I couldn't do it.

The item still hasn't shipped, but once I receive it, I'm just going to return it.

I ordered this router from eBay...

https://www.newegg.com/asus-gs-ax5400/p/N82E16833320512

Keep on top of when it should be delivered, then just refuse delivery.

I ordered some weatherstripping, it was supposed to be arriving in like 10days (strike 1), then after a few days the arrival date was pushed back a few more days to about 2wks (strike 2), and like 1 day before it was supposed to arrive, it’s “Shipped!”… only it wasn’t coming by Amazon van (ie, to arrive the next day), but only tossed into the USPS system from Utah to New York which’d take ANOTHER week or more (strike 3).

F that, I trekked on over to The Work Bench and picked up a few rolls, which is what I should’ve done all along. Came out cheaper, too.

Kept tabs on the package, it got to the local PO which usually means it should be out for delivery the next day, and yup, it was. So I waited for the mail-lady, didn’t catch her at the door, but grabbed the package and asked if I could refuse delivery, yup, no problem, and shortly after it was marked as a delivery exception, went back, and I got refunded no problem.

Didn’t have to remail it back, get a label/sticker/whatever from Amazon, nothing.

i read a couple days ago that starlink was having customer issues, speed, latency, new hookups