【Update】Will this be your ideal EDC flashlight? Share your thoughts!

‘Hold for OFF’ is incredibly intuitive and simply the most brilliant advance in flashlight technology to occur in the last 75 years. With so few ways to program a single button interface, the introduction of ‘hold for OFF’ was revolutionary, such an elegant refinement, such gumption, and so full of panache, that I can hardly think of a better element to incorporate into a flashlight UI, with a possible exception being made for ‘next mode memory.’

3 Thanks

If you do hold for off I will not be buying it.

• ideally 5 modes - moon, low, med, high, turbo
• click to turn on
• hold for moon, or low if no moon
• if moon, hold again to get to low
• hold to cycle low, medium, high
• no mode memory, click to turn on medium level
• double click for turbo, or high if no turbo, from off or on
• double click again to go back
• click to turn off

If not offering high CRI emitters then at least make it so people can access the emitter if they want to swap it themselves.

1 Thank

My ideal EDC, and that of many others, was the Sunwayman V11R. You could do worse than to make a light like that - but with updated emitter, etc., of course.

Thanks for the giggles :smile:

anduril

small as possible

under $50

1 Thank

hate ‘hold for off’’

ANDURIL!

1 Thank

You are certainly pulling our legs on this one… :smiley:

Really… we enthusiasts need hold-for-off as much as we need to sit on a nail… it’s a PITA of the worst kind…

2 Thanks

Hold to turn off is a relatively new operation. Every flashlight I ever used going back to pre-Maglight days, used a simple click on and click off. That’s all the oldie flashlights could do.

How do we turn off most lights in a house? Click = off. Flashlights should be the same.

1 Thank

1 click on/off
XHP 70.3
powerbank function
Throws about 350m
magnetic tailcap
constant current driver
c to c built in charger
nice design

your ideal EDC flashlight? Share your thoughts!

There are a few designs I think work really well for EDC type lights…

• 16340/18350: Something like the Olight S-Mini (not the newer models), but with convenient charging built in.
  • 14500: Something like the Wurkkos TS10, but with one nice LED at ~8 cd/lm instead of three floodier LEDs. Also, a ZebraLight H5 series clip.
  • 18650: Something like the ZebraLight SC64 / Olight S2, or FW3A / FW1A. Side switch and tail switch styles are both good, in different ways.

In all cases, they should have a few traits…

• As narrow as possible for the battery type.
  • Standard unprotected battery, nothing proprietary.
  • ~5 to ~10 cd/lm beam with a particularly nice-looking LED, like 4000K to 4500K with negative duv. For example, Nichia 519A 5700K dedomed, or 219B sw45k.
  • Deep carry clip which only goes one direction. Should ideally clip onto pants with the button up, so the user can grab it from the top and already have their thumb near the button. Hopefully a captive clip which can’t be pulled off, but some clip-on types are … okay I guess.
  • Open-source firmware with easily-accessed standard flashing pads.
  • Dimming from 0.01 to 500+ lumens, ideally with a regulated driver. Hopefully buck/boost, but linear can be okay too.
  • RGB aux LEDs somewhere, set up Anduril style for use as an always-on locator and a quick battery voltage indicator.
  • E-switch.
  • Can tail stand.
  • No markings on the host.
  • Hopefully available in bare aluminum plus a few colors.
  • Available with no magnet.

Lately I’ve mostly been using a D4K. It’s really good, but ideally I’d go for something smaller for EDC purposes because I don’t actually need a 5000 mAh battery. It takes me ages to get through each charge.

3 Thanks

Onboard charging usually only makes an EDC too big.

Moonlight is usually too high. It should be sublumen on low low.

Pill/LED is not user serviceable. That’s my compliant of the P10.

The pale silver MAO finish on my Cyansky P25 is REALLY nice. I suggest that color for the light.

Extra rubber switch boot in the box.

Aux light/battery light with low parasitic drain.

Deep carry clip.

except for the LED and the constant current driver, you just described the Wurkkos FC13 with the SFT40 LED! :smiley: I have one and love it.

I’m right there with TK on most of it, but for this:

This would make it impossible to use as a hat light, which is incredibly useful on a baseball cap specially in the rain for someone using glasses (ask me how I know ;-)).

Granted, hard to do with the heavier 21700 and 18650, but very practical with a 14500 light, I do it with my TS10 every single time it’s raining and I have to go outdoors.

1 Thank

Side switch, one-way clip with “button up” orientation:

I’m just curious, One way clips is actually easier to use, however the versatility to be able to switch the clip is also important.
Since I’m kinda new in this kinda flashlight business, I’m not sure if there was already a company who made flashlight like picture below.
Sorry TK I use your picture for my illustration :slight_smile: and my noobie photoshop skill.

Basically you have 2 possibilities to place your clip orientation, without disassembling the body. It might be not so tight secure the light but for normal use it should be easier than two-ways clip. I think.

3 Thanks

1 click for on/off :+1:

2 Thanks

Sure thing, but I was also referring to that part of your original post (as per my quote):

AFAIK, a captive clip can be usually be ‘captured’ only at the tail-end, unlike the clip-on type in your picture, right?

It could also be screwed on, or threaded between the bezel and the pill section, or threaded between the head and the battery tube, or whatever. Just some sort of way to ensure it won’t slide around or get pulled off.

Yeah, but the manufacturer could drill and tap holes for a clip anywhere they chose.
I am divided about the two way clips. I like the flexibility to use them on a hat. But honestly, I don’t think I have ever had to do that. I don’t like the fact that the recurve on the clip protrudes from a pocket and can (and will) scratch surfaces. I know because I have scratched my car just walking by. But walls and furniture can also be victims. I have several that I have cut and sanded just because of this.

3 Thanks

… and when clipped at the waist on clothing, the extra clip material digs into the skin and hurts. So I don’t carry lights with a double clip.

As for hats, the only ones I wear are sun hats with a wide floppy brim. They can’t support a light, and even if they could, the purpose of the hat is to block light, not to make light. A sun hat isn’t useful at night… unless I’m having a really bad hair day.

2 Thanks