【Update】Will this be your ideal EDC flashlight? Share your thoughts!

Hi, guys.

:heart:Winner Announcement :heart:

Hi, everyone! Thank you for all your active participation. The list of winners of this event through random drawing is as follows:

1. dmenezes
  2. ToyKeeper

Thanks to ToyKeeper for giving this opportunity to others.
after our random selection, Mandrake50 was chosen.

Congratulations! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Please PM us to send your delivery information. We will send you the prizes ASAP.

Since the CYANSKY product was launched, we have received numerous valuable suggestions, and we are truly grateful for these constructive insights that have helped improve our product. Therefore, we are now working on creating a special edition EDC flashlight. We welcome everyone to provide any feedback and suggestions.

Basic Product Information (subject to change):
Model Name: P12R (to be confirmed)
Size: Compact and handheld (A little bit longer than CYANSKY P10)
Beam: Spotlight
Brightness: 800-1100 lumens
Level: Low - Med - High - Turbo
Range: to be confirmed
Button: Single-button control
Battery Options: AA battery, NiMH battery, 14500 battery
Charging: TYPE-C
Magnetic: Magnetic tail

UI Interface:
Power On/Off: Single-click to turn on, long-press 0.5s to turn off
Mode Switching: Single-click
Strobe Mode: Long press 1.5s
Lockout: Quadruple-click or 4+ times

The above product information is tentative, and we may make changes based on your valuable suggestions. We welcome any input you may have and look forward to hearing from all of you. :beer: :beer: :beer:

:heart:Giveaway :heart:
Thank you very much for your support all the time.
We will draw 2 members’ suggestions from the comment area on August 4th to give away our CYANSKY HS5R headlamp. Good luck! :gift_heart:

:heart:【Product progress update】 :heart:

The appearance design of the P12R product is as follows, is this the type you like?

1 Thank

I really like the look and features of your lights, but it seems none of them use Anduril… and for me (and many others), no Anduril means no deal.

So my suggestion is, get at least a couple of your models with Anduril already! It’s free and opensource and if you want to keep offering your current UI, it’s no biggie to code it in place of Anduril’s “simple” interface so your current users will keep getting the same thing they do today just by turning on the light, while us enthusiasts can get to true Anduril with just a few clicks… it’s a win-win for everyone.

Lots of bonus points if it uses the wondrous AT1616 MCU and not the sorry-ass AT85 or AT1634 as some of your competitors are doing (coff… Convoy… coff coff… Hank) and has easily accessible flashing pads in the @gchart layout!

5 Thanks

Andruil firmware is a must.
Should be able to tail stand. With that button it’s impossible.
Should have keyring hole.
Belt clip will be scrathing body when turning. FW3A or Solarforce type clip mount is better.
Led: CRI 95, R9 90+ for flood version, would be nice to choice led flood/throw before buy.
Mike

5 Thanks

Nice, dual-chemistry flashlight.
My suggestions would be:

1. Anduril 2 (It is not a must, but you have to set your low-med-high settings appropriately. The good thing with Anduril 2 is that I can configure the setting based on my needs. Med: is usually the level with 90% the highest regulated output thus the brightness stays until the battery dies, High: above regulated output but sustainable >1h)
  2. 1000 lumens would be great.
  3. I dont think USB-C charging is needed
  4. LH351D or Nichia 519a 5000k, with OP reflector
  5. I assume with tail button, you cannot have a magnetic tail. But if you consider a side button, use a rubber button please, no cheap plastic.
  6. Instead strobe mode, I would prefer moonlight mode.
  7. Since it is a special edition, a rainbow anodized aluminium would be pretty interesting.
1 Thank

No long press for off!

A throwy (single emitter) hir cri beam. There are enough floody aa lights available.
Moonlight mode.
A deep carry captive pocket clip.
Able to tailstand.

3 Thanks

Re: UI - hold for off is a no go.
An EDC light should have a firefly or moonlight mode (sub-lumen). Skip the USB charging on the light itself, instead offer a cell with integrated USB charging.
High CRI emitter, as others have mentioned.

3 Thanks

Make the battery a 16340, the LED a 519A 5000K, give it a side switch, direct moon (lower 1 lm), direct turbo, lockout/unlock by triple click, always ramp up by hold, ramp down by click’n’hold, make it as short as possible by using a TIR, have optionally a magnet in the tail cap, design an efficient regulated driver for it.

Ingredients for the perfect EDC. Olight Baton 3 killer.

Almost forgot: Moon, Low, Mid1, Mid2, High, Turbo, Moon and Turbo no regular modes.

Color: Slate Blue hard anodized as on the Skillhunt AAA.

Please don’t use long press for off. Recommendation for the minimums:

1 click: on/off
2 click: turbo
4 click: lockout
Hold while off: shortcut to lowest mode
Hold while on: change brightness

More features can be added on top of it, but there’s not much you can do wrong with this minimal UI.

5 Thanks

I’m an Anduril freak, but ignoring that, having one action turn a light on and a different action turn it off is bad design imo. It’s a flashlight, “turn on” and “turn off” are the most common commands a user would have for it, so they should both be associated with the easiest action available: a single click

3 Thanks

Yes. This UI needs a catchy name. It should be the standard e-switch UI unless Anduril is used. Many manufacturers already use it, or a close variation, e.g. olight, thrunite, sofirn, wurkkos, and convoy (and I’m sure several others).

1 Thank

just want to say “holding to turn off” is very unintuitive and weird to use. thats like the newer nerfed frog/gt nano simple ui. terrible.

the most simple ui imo is single click on/off (with memory), hold to change modes (LMH), 2C for turbo, 3C strobe, 4C lock (with momentary moonlight). very easy to remember 1-2-3-4.

To be honest, I don’t understand why people refuse to charge (after all, a flashlight at 14500 loses its charge pretty quickly).
And I’m also for TIR optics, which wakes up to give a uniform and moderately wide spot of illumination for work at a distance of 0.5-20 meters. Well, a high CRI is preferable.
Perhaps a steel bezel (due to the small size, the flashlight will hardly add weight).

The initial specs you’ve listed are a good start for a simple/straight forward EDC flashlight.

-The ‘mixed chemistry’ (AA/NiMH/14500) is a good choice and make it more versatile, so I do like that.
-I prefer it to certainly have a bit of throw, rather than a really ‘floody’ flashlight. As mentioned by someone else already: a TIR optic could make for a nice and even beamprofile!
-800 to 1000 lumen max outpout is fine, since a 14500 has relatively limited capacity anyway.
-A magnetic tail would be a nice addition, but that would mean a side switch. (Which I’m fine with)
-I also prefer 1 click for ‘off’, but to me personally it’s not a deal breaker if it has 0.5s press to turn off.
-I would like it if there was at least a 5000K version. 6500K only would be too cool for my taste.
-A nice/good high-CRI LED does have my preference, but the above stated color temperatures (of at least 5000K and/or maybe 4000K) are more important to me, as long as they have a nice tint (not too green/yellow and little tint shift).
-I do like Anduril, but for a ‘simple’ and easy to use EDC, I’m also fine with a simple low-med-high and turbo, BUT… please make turbo a double click and don’t put it in the main modes!
-A ‘moonlight-mode’ (or at least a very low lumen mode) would be appreciated! It would be nice if you could turn moonlight on, directly from off. Otherwise: at least ad it to the main modes, so for example: “eco/moon”-low-med-high.

You stated in the opening post something about USB-C charging; would that be build-in in the flashlight or is it a 14500 battery with a USB-C port?

Someone mentioned to make it a 16340 flashlight, but personally I wouldn’t like that; not only do you loose the versatility of using several types of batteries (AA/NiMH/14500), but there also isn’t much difference in maximum capacity, between 16340 and 14500. If you would go for a different battery type, then I prefer 18350 over 16340, since it’s only a little bigger, but 18350’s can have substantial higher capacities compared to a 16340.
But to be clear: I prefer the suggested 14500 size/battery over the 2 battery types mentioned above!

No need to add built in charging.

I’d just throw out that built in charging on a light that supports both 14500 and NiMH cells is pretty interesting, I assume it only charges 14500 cells though

Nice!
Some thoughts on the specs.

14500/AA makes for very good EDC light, if made compact. Slightly longer than the P10 should be ok, considering the USB-C addition. Keep it slim, still!

For EDC I prefer the beam to be not too spotty. Some reach, but also useful spill for foreground illumination while walking. TIR is better than reflector due to wider more gradual spill.

Having some reach, not only flood, also makes the limited capacity of 14500/AA last longer as even the lower modes bring enough illumination.

Roughly 4-8 cd per lumen is good balance.

With the provided output, that’d be:

• 800lm OTF output: 3200 - 6400 cd, or 113 - 160 m throw.
  • 1100 lm OTF output: 4400 - 8800 cd, or 132 - 188 m throw.

Emitter was not specified, but I’d love something in the 4000-5000k range with neutral to rosy tint. High CRI would be nice. :slight_smile:

If tailswitch (like P10), make it recessed so that tailstanding is possible. That said, I prefer sideswitch with most lights, EDC included.

Magnetic tail is nice, but make the magnet user-removable! In some situations magnetic tail can be hindrance or even safety issue (compass).

I really like if the manufacturer is able to keep the USB-C port hidden, or make it such that no rubber flap is needed. If a rubber flap is necessary, in a sideswitch light it should be positioned in such way that there’s no possibility of mixing the switch and the rubber flap by tactile feel.

With EDC proper moonlight mode with instant access is must. With 800-1100lm I’d prefer modes to be

• 1 lm | Moonlight (separately accessible)
  • 15 lm - 60 lm - 240 lm | Low - Med - High
  • 800/1100 lm | Turbo (separately accessible)

I love Anduril, but understand it’s not for everyone.
But Click for ON, Hold for OFF… that’s illogical and goes against muscle memory.

Thus my preferred UI in your format:

• Power On/Off: Click
  • Mode Switching: Hold
  • Moonlight: Hold from OFF
  • Turbo: Double-click from any mode. Double-click while in turbo takes back to memorized mode (or to low, if no memory)
  • Strobe Mode: Triple-click (or 6-click, or no strobe at all)
  • Lockout: Quadruple-click or 4+ times

If you keep the light compact, make the driver somewhat efficient, choose an emitter that’s not green and take some of the UI suggestions provided by the BLF users here… I’m sure plenty of users will find the P12R handy!

The long press to turn off is a deal breaker to me.

1 Thank

It should be big yet small, and have warm 6500K light. Plus, it should have a protruding magnetic tail button but must be able to tailstand. Plus a bidirectional deep-carry keyring. And waterproof sideswitch for charging, too.

That should please everyone. :clown_face::joy::poop::100::clown_face:

1. Next mode memory is a must.
  2. Hold for OFF is an absolute necessity.
  3. Double click for strobe for tactical purposes.
  4. 7000k 65 CRI LEDs for better visibility on target and maximum efficacy.
  5. Disco AUX leds for location purposes and to disorientate attackers.
3 Thanks

just want to reiterate ‘Hold for OFF’ is a terrible TERRIBLE unintuitive idea.

i just want to switch OFF and put it away quickly. imagine having to wait for your light to turn off. the heck