[Updated 2023-02-10] Migration complete

Right, the other alternative would have been a lot more confusing. :slight_smile:

It’s not necessarily that the date is wrong, but rather, it’s arguably the wrong date. By that, I mean it’s probably showing the modification time, not the creation time. If someone edited their posts on the old platform, it changed the post date to match the edit date.

So the date is probably correct… it just isn’t the type of date one might expect.

Thanks for the dark theme! I’m using it as my default!

2 Thanks

Yep, TK’s Dark Theme for BLF is awesome!
(I like it even more than her After Dark theme for the old BLF.) :+1:

2 Thanks

Been gone a min… wow things are different.
How long has the site been like this?

1 Thank

Around February 6th, 2023…

EDIT:
Looks like it was February 10th, 2023 for Pacific Standard Time (and EST.)

1 Thank

Hey @Pulsar , great to see you! Please take a look at this information about the new forum and why the change was necessary:

1 Thank

I agree the old forum was way out dated. Just thought I was in the wrong place when it loaded up lol.
I was kind of worried when my password didnt work, but I created a new pass before I saw racoons post and was able to log back in to my original account just fine

2 Thanks

I find the “draft” functionality to be problematic, but I may be using it wrong or missing a step?

When I “create new topic,” then write up the post, then save the draft for later, there is no longer the option of “create new topic,” it only says “open draft.”

As a work around I save my drafts in a .txt file on my computer and abandon the saved draft on BLF in order to be able to create a new thread.

Ideally the site would have two buttons: “create new topic” and “open draft.” Or otherwise, when “save draft for later” is clicked, it should put the draft in the “drafts” area of the user control panel, and with the draft stored over there, it should then allow a new thread to be created…

Also: the site does not seem to allow a proper trailing ellipse at the end of a sentence, which is FOUR periods.... it removes the fourth period.

1 Thank

These days I use Notepad more than I used to about a year ago :grinning:

Hi there Hoop, good observation. It looks like it’s working as designed at the moment in Discourse, which only allows for one new topic draft at a time. It’s not ideal, and hopefully Discourse will improve this feature in the future. It does however allow for multiple draft replies in different topics to be saved under /my/activity/drafts .

The current workaround suggestion from the Discourse developers regarding this limitation is to keep a running PM thread with yourself, and then copy/paste from there into a new public topic once it’s ready. The advantage with the PM-to-yourself workaround over Notepad is that it will let you save the draft text on the BLF server and you can access it from any device. You can have one public new topic draft and one draft PM to yourself both being tracked under /my/activity/drafts, and when it’s ready you can turn your PM draft into a public new topic:

If you still need more concurrent new topic drafts then you can hit send on the unfinished PM reply to yourself, and then come back to it and hit the edit button, and once it’s ready you can copy/paste the text into a new topic.

5 Thanks

Nice!
Although I do have a running PM to myself, I rarely use it for this.
I use Notepad++ instead, which is freeware that is much better than Micro$oft’s Notepad that comes with Windows.

EDIT:
I even have the colors set up so that it sort of mimics the Commodore 64, my family’s first computer.
(By the way, this is not super easy, but it is doable.)

In messages, unless I started the conversation and that I posted the last reply (and that it’s only 2 participants) then it’s not possible to know who the conversation is with unless I click on it, it would help a lot that all participants were listed instead of only the author of the 1st and last messages.

edit : I should mention I have plenty of messages that have similar titles due to sales of my flashing adapters, for now I’m adding the username of the other user in the title so I can figure out who I’m talking to from the message list, but it’s kind of annoying.

4 Thanks

Totally agreed. It’s a limitation of the Discourse theme that we use here, which does away with the list of participants in a thread.

In my opinion the theme we use is an improvement for the /latest list, but unfortunately the same design doesn’t work well for the list of PMs. It will probably require coding a custom theme component to make the PM list behave as expected with this theme.

4 Thanks

Necrobump!
I just received a warning that I’m running out of “likes” for today.
This is the first time I’ve been told that.
I guess giving approximately 42 thanks in one day is a bit excessive. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Thanks

Douglas Adams would be proud of that 42

1 Thank

Yep, that’s what I was thinking. :alien:

1 Thank

I will test that 42+, if we keep posting and i keep liking lets see if i get the same warning :grin:

1 Thank

By the way, if anyone thinks I’m making up the “42” statistic, I took a screenshot, and I didn’t PhotoShop the image.

1 Thank

Where does one find this?

1 Thank