Updated on 7/31. More shots added. Some beam shots: from flooders to monster throwers. Thanks to Tom E for his awesome modding

Very nice beamshots, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the shots. That modded TN31 looks pretty impressive for sure.

The fact that the hotspot is over saturated even in long distance shots just goes to show how powerful a thrower it is.

Maybe I’m biased, but I prefer the look of the tn31 to the k40. For some reason I think of it as ‘the classic thrower shape’, maybe because it was one of the first major throwers.

It is interesting to think of the evolution of LED throwers actually. Only two years ago, only one LED light has over 100kcd (AFAIK), which is Olight SR90 at $400. Now it seems quite easy to get over 100kcd, and costs about $40. What has changed? I think two things came. The first is technique to safely dedome CREE. The second is the use of copper, which greatly increase the current a light can handle.
And TomE made a monster thrower available at a very acceptable cost.

My TN31 modified by TomE is 365kcd. Yours is probably quite similar.

Can you share details about TomE l2m dropin?

It is a xpg2 1a dedomed, reflowed to copper, driven at 3.5a (so I need low inner resistance batteries, trustfire flame works but only to 3A). I believe the blank drop in is the XML one from manafont (smooth reflector).
I think that is pretty much it. Did I miss something?

dedomed xpg2 dropin

dedomed HD2010

mod TN31

night sky control

three lights (from left to right: TN31, HD2010, xpg2 drop in)

The photos are over-exposed on purpose. This is only for fun.
Hope you enjoy!

+1 Awesome! The HD2010 looks like, and is, a killer - then the TN31 totally trounces it. I think those 3 lights are pointing to something up in the sky.. yes, it's my big fat head!

More awesome pics. They look great and really give a feel for the beams. Thank you again.

It’s difficult to pick which beam shots render better. Maybe the Thrunite TN31.

How do you get a dedomed hd2010 in focus? I dedomed mine and it has a big donut hole.

Usually that's from not being seated into the reflector good enough. Try loosening the pill 1-2 turns before tightening down the reflector. Also try to get the wire solder connections as low as possible. Last thing to try is sanding/grinding down the back of the reflector to better clear the wire connections. I use a dremel with a sanding drum for this, angled away from the center -- but you have to be very careful so as not to break thru into the reflector.

I sanded down the bottom of the reflector so the led is higher in the reflector. Refer to Ultrafire HD2010 vs Thrunite TN31 Posting 40.
Edit: thanks Tom! You beat me by one minute.

Awesome pictures!!!

Thanks for the shots! I cant believe the output of that p60 xpg2! wow, drop ins keep living on…

No trouble. Glad you enjoyed them. P60 is good because it is a good balance between power and portability.
If you don’t know about vinz dropins, search for them. They are extremely powerful. And beautiful.

ultrafire g4 mcu:

I have a question about this flashlight;

This is a normal c8 body studded with reflector? which led is that?, I have such a body in stock.

how heavy would the driver may be? 2.1Apm nanjg 2.8 or 3:05 will be too heavy?

thx for replay

I got that light (ultrafire g4 mcu) from the group buy in June 2012 (link ). Now it is still about $11 at Tmart (link )

My sample is a solid C8 with Q5. Not sure about the driver or the current. But double check in the groupbuy thread. It does not get hot. I assume it is giving 300 lm.

I left it stock all the time because it is perfectly focused as stock. It has a very nice hotspot and throws really well.

The host itself is a good quality one. Should be able to handle more than 4A for XML2 or 3.5A for XPG2 on noctigon.