UPDATED! OTF Lumen and Lux Value Google Doc

Thank you for doing this JohnnyMac. I just knew you were up to something with that IS. Lovely, i must say, lovely :-)

wish this were around when i ordered my KD C8, may have helped me pick the HD2010 instead…

Stellar! Would be a good post to keep at the top.

If it wouldn’t be too controversial, maybe offer some categories/classifications that would help with common questions people have . . some possibilities

K - Keyring
F - Flooder
P - Pocket
T - Thrower
FTT

Another idea would be to link to reviews and/or beamshots over time. I’m sure you’d get help with these from everyone and it could grow.

This is a great idea, and I have a bunch of my own to add. What do you think of changing the title to something more easily searchable, such as "Actual Lumen Numbers" or "OTF Lumen values" ? That may make it a little more google friendly, which I'm sure Mr Admin would appreciate.

Also, what do you think of adding another column for lux? I find myself looking at those values more and more on smaller lights...combined with lumen values, it gives a great indication of beam pattern.

Good points, Match. Done & done! Christ, what a PITA to go through and add a new cell to each row of that table. LOL!

Fantastic work! I’ve been hanging out for someone to do this.

Cool ... Thanks ! ... Now let's see it grow ..... :)

Awesome, this will be a terrific resource!!

Have you thought of doing a Google Spreadsheet instead? Just make viewing of it public. Way easier for you.

Throw greatly reduces lumens. There was some discussion of that topic on my lumen measurements post here

Hey Johnny do you have 4 Xtar 2600 you can test the King with? My reading seems lower than it should be.

Thanks JohnnyMac! I think everyone who has some kind of measurement device should take readings, and if we all pool our results together our knowledge will grow and we can analyse all kinds of things about the lights for example, uniformity of light outputs, output, throw, etc. Because as always, more sources = more accuracy (that is if people follow the same testing method for all their lights).

Sorry, I don’t. I only have 2 of them. Never bought more because they just didn’t impress me.

Yeah I’m not getting any more. I’m going for some CGR Panasonics or unprotected Sanyo next time.

Johnny,

Just wondering as a useful resource would it be good to have a lumen rating at 30 sec and a 2nd at 3 mins so as to show how output changes or doesn’t once the light has been on a while. A bit like the ANSI FL1 standards, but giving us a comparison.

Also are any of your lights modded?

+1
There are many variables involved here. In the first few seconds most lights sag a lot (say 10-30% -it also depends on the heatsink modding level) and so does the battery voltage of a newly charged battery (perhaps it was better to measure at 3.7V at the flat part of the discharge curve).
Even with precise measuring equipment it is unlikely that two persons will measure the same output on their respective lights of the same model.
Numbers should always be presented with details of the measuring setup and procedure.
(perhaps I’m just a grumpy old man? |( )

+1

3mins is definitely a point where I see all flashlights truly show their constant lumens after voltage on load drops, aluminum is heated and the temperature is forcing the LED to drop the vF.

Got a stock incandescent MiniMag and fresh AAs? :wink:

This is great! Thanks for taking the time to do this.