Upgrade Version! SKYRAY King Real 3000 Lumens 4x CREE XM-L2 T6 LED 3-Mode Flashlight(Special Offer)

Thanks for posting the pics of the driver. This model looks to be one of the better built variants. Replacing the wires with thicker gauge wire, adding thermal epoxy and copper braid to the springs would pump up the output a bit, yes?

Increase Output? Sure, but you probably looking at an increase of only a few percent, hardly noticable. Thermal paste could let heat away from LEDs faster. These Leds need 2a+ each! :slight_smile:

Great pics! Thanks, but shame I’m not a wiz with circuitry. :confused:

Good point, Pchri12. I was thinking that doing those things would decrease resistance and be a good starting point before doing a resister mod. Beef it up before souping it up to churn up 3+ amps per emitter. Winter is coming gotta keep the hands warm but don’t want to cook the light.

Illuminaria, are there toroids on the other side of that driver?

I’ve ordered from them about 3 times in the last two months, and aside from not having one of those items, they shipped fast and got here as fast as I could expect.

No, I was referring to the old 3 led driver. I have the newer linear(?) FET driver. This post, SkyRay King XM-L2. Need driver Advice, refers to this light. The owner was not happy with the output. I wish he could post some current readings to compare with mine posted in this thread. I gather from that post that this driver is near max but I have not a clue at this time. The Sony laptop pulls I’m using can discharge 3 amp each in my hobby charger but the most read is 5 amps with this linear driver. A driver swap may be in order but hope someone with a light meter can measure it to see if the 3k lumens is real. I think the LED color is warmer from my old SRK. We have to wait on beam shots from Pchri12 or other.

Sorry, Illuminaria if I’m slow to comprehend, I was up late. You are saying that this 4 XML version of the prolific SRK variant is using FET’s instead of toroids for current? And it has a cooler kelvin? I kinda wish that they would just sell a blank host that we could load up as we see fit.

Thanks for the link, it looks like I was assuming things that I did not understand. I assumed that I would be able to clean up the electric and thermal paths and alter the resistors, plug in some samsung 20R’s and get 4000 lumens total. Maybe if I swapped the emitters onto copper pads and jumpered the resistor stacks like Comfychair discussed. Or is the 3 emitter the way to go. Suggestions anyone?

I may be wrong but I would think you couldn’t get 4000lumens out of this thing without driving 3.5a per led, considering all the losses. I think 3500lm would be a very healthy expectation once a resistor mod has been done. Optimising the thermal paths would just allow the output to stay higher for longer If I understand correctly. Nonetheless if someone could get 3000-3500lm output I would be thrilled!

Just a little off topic, while we wait for my skyray king to come from Will buying, why not have a peep at the comparison shots of the fancy flashlight XML T6 Skyray king, vs my beast driver modded Trustfire X100 5500lm+. :slight_smile:

Enjoy: Flickr: Philip Christian's Photostream

4 x 26650, are these protected? I want one.

I see the reason for the finned head!

My list is growing, now up to 2K in US$…must not click buy!

Yes, I use Trustfire Flames Protected 26650 LIon cells. The large head and fin design provides an excellent candidate to punch out so much power. Love the skyray king, but for a flashlight, the brightness of this thing is madness. Will wow anyone :slight_smile: I don’t want to make you poorer or anything, but This flashlight is built ridiculously solid, and a must have. The only bad thing is it will make all the rest of the collection drop a lot in brightness :wink:

I have received the new King. Initial impression: built decently, not quite as nice as the original from Fancy Flashlights, but for the price, with XM-L2 emitters, quality is more than acceptable. Its day time but used it in a dark room and immediately noticed the cooler bin of the new emmitters, I like. I then took some 1/1600 shots in comparison to my other 3xXML T6, and the spill on the new one is brighter, but perhaps a tad less throw, but hotspot is larger. I then compared the power its punching out by feeling the heat emmited from the front, and can confidently say there is more heat there = brighter. Will post beamshots later.

So i decided to get this XM-L2 version, and my brother got the XM-L2 version of the 6-emitter SRK. the XM-L2 versions seem to be a hint brighter than the T6 versions of the 3-emitter, 4-emitter, and 6-emitter Kings, but the Skyray Kung XM-L T6 i have is still very noticably brighter, with more throw AND floodier. I must have been lucky to get a really good stock hard-driven Kung. ( also my Kung is pulling oddly high amps at the tail cap, just under 10 amps.

Do you guys have any good tips where (and WHAT) SRK to get?
Decent build quality and high power with NW tint would be nice. Kung, orig. SRK, 3, 4 or 6 emitters?? :open_mouth:

The SRK Kung i have is the brightest i have seen so far, and tint is good. (its the 49 dollar Gun-metal one found on ebay) the original 3-torrid driver, 3-emitter King is good too, ( comes in gold or black for around 43 bucks.) also some of the Fandyfire versions has been found good. The 6-emitter models seem to be floodier, but the gunMetal Kung i have out throws them all. ( i have 7 variations of SRKs.

So I placed an order for the Skyray King 4x flashlight.
Payment was made on the 30th and it is now the 4th and my order still says “processing”…

I tried to contact via live chat on willbuying.com and tried to email but no response.
This is very un-professional… |(

How long does it take them to ship ?

It’s the X-mas holidays and I would guess they bees busy? Mine took 20 days, 2 months ago, so nothing will get ordered until after the holiday rush from China.

Would you suggest people keep looking for the ultimate Kung or is this light good enough? Comfy said this driver may be near direct drive. So do people buy or spend the bigger bucks or stick with 3X lights for modding. Mine is only pulling 5.3 amps but need to hook up to bench supply to see if batteries holding it back but don’t think so.

Thx

Kind of similar to Cat eyes post, which SRK?! 3 T6 emitters and 3 Toroids sounds like the better option to mod, or is the newer 4 emitter version without Toroids a better option?

So what’s the verdict on this light ? Willbuying shipped mine a few days ago and should be on it’s way.

What is the color temp ? I ordered the 4x XM-L2