Upgraded Thorfire s70s

The original s70 is turned on and off at the tail, the eswitch is for mode switching only.

A rough calculation using 5,000 mah batteries shows a complete discharge in just 47 days.

Hey guys I just fired up my new s70s from Elfeland outdoor lighting through AliExpress after………53 days of shipping. Anyway ever works perfect except I can’t get a moonlight move to show up. Anything special to make it appear or is it just likely a screw up?

press&hold from OFF - think it's the only way.

Tom you are the man. Thanks a lot, turns out this light even had a little folded document inside the box that explained everything. It’s amazing that I am so used to no instructions from Chinese manufacturers that I don’t even look anymore. My bad
Thanks again
-Joey

How much drain does the green indicator led cause? How long till it drains the batteries?

Had a weird thing happen. It was green for weeks and then I used the light for a couple of minutes. It slowly turned orange over the day but when I clicked the tailcap off and on it reset to green and has remained that way for weeks now.

Could be as low as 50 uA or as high as 200-300 uA, all depends. Also there is parasitic drain from the MCU and driver electronics. If well designed, could be 5 uA to 30uA or so. Bad design - much higher. Not sure I measured it.

Here you go.

I don’t think the switch led uses much power at all, but the driver uses a lot. If you using 5,000mah cells it should completely drain them in 48 days. This light should not be kept on all the time. It’s better to click the tail switch when not in use so the batteries don’t drain.

Hallo guys,

I would like to ask you. I would like to order Thorfire S70S, but I need as long thrower beam as possible. I tried to find some topics here about smooth reflector, but I did not. Is there some possibility as with Convoy L6, to change the reflector? Or, tried to some one, if smooth reflector for Convoy L6 will fit for ThorFire?
Thank you very much.

The S70S and L6 are not designed to be long throwers. These lights have big hotspot and decent throw of maybe 500 to 550 meters. So maybe 500 usable feet.

The L6 smo reflector does fit the S70S. This shrinks the hot spot size a little and gives a little extra throw.

There are other lights out there that give 2 or 3 times that throw distance by using a smaller hotspot.

Thanks for your comment JasonWW. So please, could you help me and give me some choices? I checked some, but the price is totaly different as on for example S70S, which is now available for 40 Dollars and low. I found some throwers, but there was price more then 200 Dollars! :open_mouth: . Why is the difference in price so abysmal? Thanks.

A big thrower light needs a big reflector and it costs a lot to get a good one made. Plus you typically run a 12v emitter like the xhp35 which means multiple batteries in series and a special buck driver to run it. All that is extra work to design. Plus the size it a lot bigger which adds weight and adds to the shipping cost. A lot of times the shipping cost is added to the final price so they can say it has free shipping. So you end up with a bigger price tag.

One of the best performance to price serious throwers is going to be the soon released Astrolux MF02 at about $80. It should be good for over 1400 meters. ENEDED

Here is a handy list of thrower lights.

ASTROLUX MF-02 CREE XHP35 HI 2500lm 1.5km+ – $79 (to be confirmed)

BLF Lumintop GT with highest KCd – $150+

Manker MK35 XHP35 HI 2550lm 1420m – $155.95

Klarus G35 XHP35 HI D4 2000lm 1000m – $98.98 (not a big thrower)

Thrunite TN42 2000lm 1550m – $199

Nitecore TM38 Lite Tiny Monster XHP35 HI D4 1800lm 1400m – $360/2XX

JasonWW. Thank you very much. This Astrolux looks very very good. On Banggood is aroud 73 Euros, so this price is very good. I will think about it. Thanks.

What about the soon to be released throw king, the BLF designed GT for only $150 if you want a “as long thrower beam as possible.” ?
Thread here [PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

It’s a little too pricey, I assume. He was trying to stick to around $50 range like the S70S.

Fair enough, I only posted the GT as you had included the Thrunite & Nitecore which are considerably more expensive.

I didn’t leave out the GT. It’s the second one on the list.

Sorry Jason :+1: I missed the GT, just read the Lumintop part :person_facepalming:

Even though everyone is saying the new S70S has a 27mm driver, I just bought one and mine is 29mm. :confounded:

Maybe they alternate between 27mm and 29mm or simply use both?

Anyway, I don’t like the operation of it. I’m gonna try a MTN 30mm fet with the D4 (RampingIOS) UI.

Does anyone remember if the stock emitter uses a DTP mcpcb?

I can’t find any good modding threads for the S70. What’s up with that? Does everyone just add a resistor to the stock driver and call it a day?