US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

I hope gary posts next…….

I agree the light has much unlocked potential, mine is patiently waiting in the que for attention.

1000! - sure would like a couple $12.00 DSTs

OMG!I so wanted Mr. Bunk to make the 1000 post on his huge thread!Come on Garry!You need to finish this buddy!This one is all you my friend! :beer:

I feel like horns should blare and confetty should be falling. Congrats Garry.

DBCstm wrote:

I’ve been looking at it some more and see that, like the HD2010, it has a lot of potential. How does the MT-G2 throw with this reflector? Got a beamshot? That’s actually a very good idea, what are you using to drive it 6A?

The better lens and some lube, a bit of cleanup on some threads, work on the switch and yeah, a lot of potential. I wish I could cut threads, I’d chop it in a heartbeat! 2 26650’s running an MT-G2 and it’d be pretty sweet indeed. I like the separate pill, like the Solarforce M8. But the finish on the M8 is velvety smooth and nice, reeking of quality, the Defiant, not so much. But then we’re talking some stack of pennies difference in price as well. lol

Give me the skinny on the MT-G2, I might stick an XM-L2 T6 in at 4.2A and see how it drives…

I hear you on being able to cut threads. That would change everything for me.

The MTG2 floods out. Very impressive and good for general usage, but throw goes down the tubes. I don't plan to leave it this way.

Ohaya had put a dedomed MTG2 in one and he gets 71kcd at 4.8amps. He has a beam shot somewhere. I plan on trying my hand a going dedomed in this light. I'm thinking 3 of these lights with dedomed MT-G2's will give a darn good throw number. Plus, what I like, a big hot spot.

I getting 6 amps by using 2S CGR18650CH's direct drive. I should be getting more, but I have some resistance somewhere. I'm pretty sure the resistance is in a bad solder joint to the pill. I want to run a cell right through the switch section for a total of 3 18650 cells. Maybe the Judco switch will help with that. Then use the Manafont 3T6 driver. The pill will have to be modified for that.

O-L has some good ideas in this thread:

>>>>>Not much to brag about in the one I opened.

May not look like much, but I just got mine up to 78k lux at 15 feet.

It’s so bright … (How bright is it? —- drum roll, cymbal crash) It’s so bright … that it really hurts my eyes when I shine it at my lux meter on a GRAY wall 15 feet away. The wall isn’t even white.

I was gifted a nanjig stacked-7135 super driver. Highest I got it up to before was about 64k with a v10 driver. Now it’s 78k on one 18650 (fully charged 2800 Samsung). If my figures are right, this is almost FOUR tikes brighter than a keygos ke-5 and three times brighter than a HD 2010. This is the brightest of my five. Has coppered springs and a glass lens.

That reflector may be cr+p plastic, but nothing I have can beat it. Not even close. Not a bad light even at full price, but it really needs to be modded to show its full potential! Forunately, the inside of the pill is huge, so all kinds of stuff can fit in there.

Beam shots with HD2010.

Beam shots MTG-2, XML-2 and HD2010.

Here in Canada they are selling them off at only $ 6.19 each ! ! :open_mouth: :weary:

>> http://www.homedepot.ca/product/defiant-super-thrower/840065

i just went to the local Home Depot and got 2 of them for $ 6.19 each, and checked online and all others stores in my area are sold out already…

I just did a run to a Home Depot near me that showed it had 5 instock which unfortunately I could not find in the store…. to bad cause they are now listed at $6.16cdn each at the Home Depot’s in Calgary!

i just bought 2 of the last ones at my local store at the $ 6.16 price.

I put an XM-L2 T6 on copper, replaced that honkin big steel spring with a shorter gold plated on and filled the gap with a copper rod. Stacked a resistor for a bit of power, hopefully. It’s pulling 2.97A at the tail with a nice white light. :slight_smile:

O Canada!

Aluminum Reflector!?

I just assumed it was plastic because someone said it was. It looks like aluminum encased in a fiberglass shell on the outside. If you look at the back bottom, you should be able to see the bare aluminum. That explains why it doesn't melt against my MTG2.

Someone please confirm.

EDIT: By someone, I mean someone way back when this light first came out. It's fairly thin aluminum, but combined with the fiberglass it seems strong enough to be durable. I'm pretty good a damaging reflectors. This is one that I have not hurt yet.

EDIT: Ok, it's plastic. I just bored out the emitter hole and it's plastic. The metalized finish that is under the fiberglass shell was throwing me off.

Holy cow! This thread took off when I stepped away. Looks like I'm gonna have to get one to do a giveaway now that the thread reached 1,000 posts (sorry I couldn't be #1,000 - let me go delete a bunch of posts earlier in this thread :) ). I'm gonna do a twist on the giveaway though!

-Garry

The whole reflector is plastic. No aluminium at all. I have had no issues with the 3 defiants I have modified with plastic reflectors and they have all got extremely hot at one point or another.

Well I didn’t have time to head to the other one in town here that lists having stock but tomorrow I will take that (30minute) drive to the other end of town and see what they have. At $6.16 a pop I will take whatever I can grab cause these will make perfect gifts for people you don’t want to have Li-ion batteries and their quarks….

We have been waiting for this ever since post 600!

Garrybunk, did you also notice that you’re at the very auspicious 3999 posts?

You're right DNF. I just bored out the emitter hole to fit the whole MTG2 pcb. It's plastic. The metalized finish that is under the fiberglass shell was throwing me off.

I just came back to say that this giveaway could also coincide with my 4,000th post! (Actually I knew I was close to 4,000 and came back to check where I was. ) Kill two birds with one stone!

-Garry

I still need to find 2 more of these to build a project i started…