USB-rechargeable keychain light recommendations?

Ah OK, good to know.

I think I’m leaning that way too. I think I’ll also get the Tunenge, for the price it’s worth trying.

Yeah, it’s an extremely frustrating and erratic bug at a very deep level of the Linux kernel. I think I finally found some relevant bug reports by others with the same issue, it appears to be specific to the filesystem type that I’m using. So unfortunately later today I’m going to have to take the server offline and reinstall it with a different filesystem…

1 Thank

Is this related to why intermittently I can’t click on anything on the site using Chrome? The DuckDuckGo browser always seems to work BTW. Just curious. This has been going on fro a few weeks now… Sorry for the OT, but as it was brought up… or something was. :expressionless:

Hmm, no, that sounds like a browser extension that is messing with the site’s Javascript.

1 Thank

THX… it is curious as it is intermittent. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Then sometimes it works for some time, then stops. I will see if I can track down something that may be causing it. As it does seem to be isolated to this machine using chrome. (I think) .

At least I have a pretty easy work around.

THX for the reply.

Huh, weird, please let me know if you figure out the cause.

Oh, I was thinking that it was something pretty minor, which is sometimes the case.
I hope that you did actually find the solution, and if the server has to go offline, it has to go offline. :saluting_face:

Here’s the Tunenge flashlight next to a AAA flashlight.
Looks like the Tunenge is a bit fatter, but it’s shorter.
I think that the Tunenge takes up less volume, but it’s kinda close.
(I found the image on Amazon.)

1 Thank

Just ordered the Tunenge S15 and the Fenix E03R V2.0. Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions!

3 Thanks

The Tunenge S15 has a good reputation on Amazon:
Amazon.com, 4.5/5 on over 100 reviews is no slouch, and I checked it with ReviewMeta (which IME does a good job of winnowing out the fake/suspicious ones) and it’s still 4.5/5 with just 15 reviews removed: https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B0BXY3FLD8

In case @sb56637 wants another alternative in the “Rovyvon clone” category, a good friend of mine who’s not a BLFer has had this one for a couple of months now: Amazon.com; with transparent GITD body and lateral row of multi-LEDs (Red, UV, blue and secondary white) it’s an even closer clone of the Rovyvon than the Tunenge.

Here’s his impressions a few days after he got it:

• Compared to a normal flashlight like the TS10, its main LED isn’t so strong, but anyway is more than strong enough for a keychain light.

• The body is transparent plastic, and it’s very hard plastic, looks very resistant. The switch didn’t look great, will probably be the first thing to break.

• Manual is in Chinenglish and confusing at times (eg, when listing main LED modes), but does a reasonable job of explaining the flashlight usage.

• The UI is useable: double click to turn on, press and hold to turn off, triple click for side LEDs and other fancies. When off, press and hold is temporary on (turns off when button is released), memorizes last mode and goes back to it when turned on again.

• Has tail magnets, strong enough to hold the light on metal in a vertical position, but too weak to hold it on the horizontal.

Overall he’s happy with the purchase and was using the light regularly.

I’ve asked him for his further impressions now that he’s had the light for a couple of months, if/when he responds I will post them here.

1 Thank

Thanks a lot for the additional info.

I found several interesting options that were cheap enough to try out, but they also had tail magnets. This seems bizarre to me for a keychain light, with coins and keys sticking to it. Or am I the only one that still carries keys in my pocket?

URW! :slight_smile: Seriously, thank you for the wonderful place that BLF is.

[…] tail magnets. This seems bizarre to me for a keychain light, with coins and keys sticking to it. Or am I the only one that still carries keys in my pocket?

I wouldn’t know… I never carried any magnets (in lights or otherwise) in my keyring (and yes, I do carry a ton of keys on mine).

Just for reference, here’s the light I carry on my keyring: Amazon.com; before that, I used to carry a genuine Photon Microlight (the original, not the “II”) but its plastic was not resistant enough and it fell apart after 5 years or so; when the time came to replace it, I opted for these clones instead of the original as a 5-pack of them was cheaper than a single Photon. That was about 6 years ago and the one in my keyring is still good, so it seems it was a good buy: it has lasted longer than the Photon and I still have 4 of them for replacements, so I guess I won’t need to buy any more keyring lights in this life.

What I like about them, besides price and durability, is the same I liked in my Photon: extremely compact and lightweight, can be counted on even after a lot of idle time (as it uses a primary lithium coin battery), and its beam is more than good enough for its intended use (ie, fitting a key in its keyhole after dark, replacing the battery in my main light when it’s spent, making sure I don’t miss stair steps when evacuating a building during a blackout, and similar close 1m-or-less illumination needs).

1 Thank

And here’s his update:

• He doesn’t carry the (and contrary to what I thought, has never carried) the Brynnl light in his keyring – he rates heavy keyrings, so he carries just the minimum keys on his. Instead, he carries it along with his other EDC stuff in a small bag that then goes into one of his cargo-pants side pocket.

• He keeps using that exact same light in a daily basis, and it hasn’t given him any issues. He basically uses just its main LED.

• Apart from that, nothing has changed from his initial impressions.

1 Thank

I always have keys in my pocket, which is why I won’t have a keychain light that has magnets in it. So no, you are not the only one!!

Interestingly, I carry a bigger light in a pocket on the other side. Usually with a pocket knife. I don’t like magnets in those either. Always sticking to things that I don’t want them to…

2 Thanks

I avoid carrying magnets, lest them affect my phone’s magnetic compass, which could lead to dangerous situations.

The only magnet I carry is the one built into the special tailcap of my FC13; I carry it in a separate compartment of my belt pouch, well away from my phone (and the backup conventional compass I carry in my backpack when I’m hiking).

The aforementioned FC13 is my backup light and main powerbank. My main light is a TS10, carried in a separate compartment of that same belt pouch.

I carry a Leatherman Micra in my keyring (in yet another separate belt pouch compartment), and in my backpack I carry a full Leatherman Supertool 200 with hex bit adapter and a half-dozen hex bits to complement the Supertool built-in ones. Haven’t yet met a situation where one of them couldn’t get me out of.

1 Thank