USPS Disappearing Copper SinkPads

Lettermail is lettermail, packets are packets. Use the correct container, or suffer the consequences.
Does anyone even realize the process it takes to move a letter from one end of the country to the other. People seem to think their letter is personally moved around by a page with a velvet pillow personally transporting it around.
I’ve worked in the biggest postal plant in Canada for thirty eight years, and know that nobody realizes what it takes to process five million letters a day.
Extra for hand sort? That’s a funny one. Perhaps it was hand sorted at the office it was dropped off at, but, once its in the system, it might go through several mega automated plants before it gets to its destination. From its original point of mailing, it might go to Chicago, NY, Toronto, London or Paris. These millions of letters are swallowed up and processed at lightning speed. I don’t think the letter will be heard crying out “please hand sort me”
Lettermail is exactly that. A letter. A few pieces of paper folded. Even staples are considered taboo. This is the modern era, and the guidelines are clearly stated. A letter might go around the world without being touched by human hands, let alone checked for foreign objects wrongly placed inside. Letters are sorted by letter sorters, and packets are sorted by packet sorters. Get with it!

For what it’s worth. Here in the UK any post is insured up £35 maybe a little more now. All you need is proof of postage. I’m sure the US would have a similar system, surely?

Marc.

No not here, you either pay extra for insurance if something goes wrong even if the post office caused it, you will not be compensated, period.

I completely agree with you, they were not properly shipped; I’ve been inside a regional sorting center before, it’s unbelievable how machines move & sort the mail; that’s why putting Fragile on it won’t matter because a machine won’t read that.

From the post manual:

1.2 Nonmachinable Criteria

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable (see 6.4) if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.4 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.

c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3, Odd-Shaped Items in Paper Envelopes).

e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.

h. Is a self-mailer that is not prepared according to 201.3.14.

i. Is a booklet that is not prepared according to 201.3.15.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm

All the should-have-know issues aside, intimate knowledge of USPS shipping guidelines don’t matter. The method of shipping promised, and paid for, wasn’t what was used. Had the promised (and paid for) method been used, there wouldn’t have been the delivery issues.

Should the post office clerk explained the rules? Sure. Were they required to? No.

There are a lot of things that could have been done at any point along the way, but the originating cause of this is improper packaging, and not what was promised.

I’m sure Nitro wasn’t scamming, or had malicious intent, and as a good person (and businessman) will do what it takes to make it right; but arguing that it’s the USPS fault is silly.

I do not know if they will do anything. They told me to bring the envelope back Monday and give it to the post master and have him hold the envelope there at the post office to verify the damage to the ohio post office. I have nothing to do with the claim. Nitro is the shipper and he is responsible for the claim. If they where going to do nothing, I don’t see why they would want me to come back monday to give the envelope to the post master for the ohio claim. But it still doesn’t mean they are going to do anything.
I do understand where you guys are coming from here. Accidents do happen and this is not the first package I have ever received that has been damaged or lost its contents. DX sent me a laser module once that was packaged in one of those nice bubble envelopes. When I received the package there was nothing in it but the driver the laser was gone. Was that DX’s fault? They sent me another one and this time the whole laser module was gone. Was that also DX’s fault? It was shipped in a nice bubble envelope that we are all familiar with. The third one I did finally receive and was DOA. Now that was DX’s fault. Nitro’s shipping method didn’t not seem to me to be any worse than DX’s as far as the percentages of damaged envelopes. If he had shipped them in a bubble wrapped envelope I feel that the percentage of damaged or lost items would have been less, but I do not know that for sure. It’s completely up to how they handled by the carrier.
From my experiences with packages is if you are going to ship something in a envelope of any kind, you are taking a high risk of the contents being damaged or lost completely which no one seems to want to blame the carrier. If shipped in a cardboard box the chances of lost or damaged contents is much less in my experiences. I have never had a boxed package loose it contents. Beat up box yes, but the contents undamaged and it does cost more. Never have I received a empty box. It has to be the different way each package is handled by the carrier.

+1

I'm leaning toward the latter. Sometimes, they will send you through hoops just so they can gather information on who to blame even when they already know that they won't reimburse you.

Anyway, once you give the letter to the post master, your part in this matter should be over.

At that point, Nitro should reimburse you for not delivering what you paid for regardless of what the post office did. His working with the post office to see what can be done as far as figuring out whose fault it was between the two of them is independent of your transaction with Nitro. You did nothing wrong, Nitro did something wrong, the post office may have done something wrong but even if they did it only concerns Nitro and them and not you, and Nitro should reimburse you regardless.

Edited my post in light of the addendum to Post #75.

Mine came in a bubble mailer (with a plain envelope inside it) and I got a tracking number.

nitro is posting in "his" thread and is addressing the issues in the thread and in pm's. This speculation and inuendos in this thread is getting nowhere and is totally useless. I for one have had no problems with nitro and his handling of situations. The 2 or 3 people that have bad experiences in the past, maybe - quite public though, are the ones posting negatives here, and they didn't even order the parts.

I hope nitro doesn't post here - it will be meaningless anyway - unsubscribing...

I will post here because I’m not hideing from this,tell u the truth I did not no they would crush every package even though I paid .20 to avoid the machine

I sent the other fourm member who sells them on how he ships them and it was like I did but mine had to go through that machine
and they would have made it if it was not for that

one more thing I have a mile long recipt on video if u don’t mind me posting ? To where I reshiped more boards that I no of

again sorry for them getting shredded and for the guys calling me a scam I dont see how when they got mailed but damaged

again im working on fixing this thanks

I don’t think you’re scamming Nitro. So far just a few unfortunate postal incidences.
Lets wait till the smoke clears. I’m sure the majority get through with no problems.

well I no for a fact all Canada and else where will be fine its just the United states got smashed

and I resent those out with tracking

even yours 007

I posted back in post #75, that Nitro was reshipping my order. For me he has done what any reputable seller would do.
I didn’t mention this before but, nitro shipped me some 20mm sinkpads a month ago and they made it to my door in perfect condition in the same way he shipped these.

xp-g or xm-l?

xp-g

I agree nitro is being responsible and is fixing the problem. Luckily, I was one of the few in the US who got everything intact.

The main issue was that nitro charged everyone 4 dollars for a certain standard of shipping and did not adhere to it. People paid the 4 dollars for bubble mailer, tracking (Out of State), and gas (for shipping in order of payment made). Instead he saved himself the money and went cheaper by spending $1 each and delaying shipment/saving gas (by waiting to go all at once). Total that is$200 in shipping money for 50 orders. No excuse to skimp out and spend only$50.

There is no question he is in the wrong for that. It doesn’t matter that he paid an extra 20 cents for non-machine sorting and USPS didn’t do so, because WE PAID 4 dollars for bubble mailers etc and he didn’t adhere to that. I don’t get how people are saying nitro is not in the wrong for doing so (maybe being polite since nitro hasn’t shipped out their full order?).

However, if in the end all buyers get what they paid for at no expense on their end then he is righting his wrong. It does not mean he wasn’t in the wrong in the first place.

EDIT:
@nitro, I’m sorry if this comes out as harsh but its the truth. It’s nothing personal and I’m glad to see you taking responsibility for the issue.

Anyone from California got their boards yet? I’m still waiting :~

Got them end of last week in CA.

Exactly.

I used the word "scam" earlier and I also said I don't believe nitro did this maliciously. I can see how it's hard for folks to reconcile those two statements. Because I did not believe he was being malicious, I'm not surprised that he's trying to rectify things. Even so, he provided a lesser service than was paid for. Do the other buyers that received their Sinkpads get a partial refund for shipping? Let's think about that when poo-pooing the use of the word "scam". This situation is somewhat rectified by him attempting to fulfill the orders that had shipping problems.