UV light and visible range

I did a quick search and it seems that the T2 UV will run on AA cells.

You will get less ultimate brightness and less runtime. But it may work OK, depending on what you need to do with it.
Do you use NiMh (example Eneloop) cells for anything else? they would be much better than Alkaleek AAs. If you do use them, you must have a charger… Or maybe pick up a cheap charger that takes 14500s and a couple of them. I have seen the little single bay chargers that take USB C input for under $10. 14500s under $5 per. So for under $20 you would be set.

Or buy a TS10 with battery and charger for around $15 … like getting the TS10 for free. Of course, you probaly want a couple of spare 14500s… Yeah, more of the old rabbit hole… SIGH. :japanese_ogre:

1 Thank

I found Sofirn SF16-UV on Lazada (Thai/Chinese Amazon of sorts, but without duties) for 1000 THB with a battery included.

1 Thank

At last, a valid reason for me to get a UV light, thanks! (Even though i know one of the accidently or not-so-accidently dephosphered blue pump LEDs i have will do the job, i might install one of those temporarily).

Ohh, i’ve wondered about the UV protection of some of my sunglasses and it’s never occured to me to use a UV light to test the UV-protection!
So that’s two reasons in one thread for me to get a UV light.

And banananananananas. Check banananananananas with UV light.

There’s a dude Sakowuf on reddit that helped me build a mega UV monster. He’s probably tested a bunch of uv emitters. Including finding a baller 9 die 9090 emitter

A short editorial on fluorescence of everyday things. I had no idea about eggs or olive oil…

And peanut-butter. Eerie tracer glow as you “swipe” the PB with a UV-light…

Hey, did anyone see my SF16-UV review? I wouldda sworn I posted it like a coupla weeks ago, but I can’t find it anywhere.

If you find it, I’d like to read it :⁠-⁠)

I don’t think I misposted it (ie, wrong category), so I might just repost it tonight. I imagine with all the annoying “this sounds similar to XYZ” popups, it’d flag it if I already posted it somewhere… else.

Urg, now I gotta find the text…

Okay, let me do that now before I forget.

1 Thank

There is also Grizzly’s Review on it.

Okay, just (re?)posted it…

Wow, he went to town on that review… nice!

I just tried the TIKA UV (weak and no filter, but it’s supposed to be 365 nm peak) on bananas and eggs and… nothing happened. Is it the light’s fault or the bananas being not ripe enough or the eggs laid by a hen with wrong DNA?

Bananananananas shouldn’t glow under UV except where the skin is damaged and breaking apart. That’s why where there are brown spots, the underlying fruit may be fine, but in a pretty all-yellow section that fires up a bunch of dots, rings, etc., that’s where the fruit will start to rot.

Gotta wait a bit then.

p.s. Any theory on eggs? Can glow red reportedly.

Good question, but i’m inclined to think they just do not glow under uv, but i will test when i get home I have about a dozen of uv lights, the best one is lumencraft maglite drop in, it is a narrow beam that throws very far and more intense than every other uv light i have, too bad it is discontinued. recently i got noctogin 9.3 with uv, it seems to make same things glow as mag drop in, has a lot of power, but it has a wider beam, does not throw as far.
LM drop in basically same as his white drop ins, but with a UV led, it is the reflector that makes the beam narrow and throwy, i do not know what led he used, the page is gone, but i’m pretty sure it is not an exclusive secret led, the drop in is easy to recreate if you have skills. It did come with black glass aka zbw2 filter, but without it you won’t lose anything, you will just have visible light as well as uv, thing will glow just the same without filter,

Guessin’… but calcite can flouresce red. Calcite is CaCO3, eggshell is majority calcium carbonate…

I think I understand why my eggs failed to glow - I apologise to the hen for my earlier accusations!

“Note that if you’re trying to reproduce the effect in a laboratory, the normal UV-A light source used in labs is 365 nm – this wavelength is insufficient because PPIX has almost no absorption around this wavelength. So it’s important to use the ‘cheap’ UV sources (395 to 405 nm) to reproduce the results!”

1 Thank

Which makes me wonder if any of the ZWB filters could work well with 395 nm UV LED. Even ZWB3 would absorb most of the output it seems.

Have anybody ever seen or used or made a filtered light with a non 365 nm LED?