VINH'S CREATIONS. Watt makes them so special?..........

Dang, did I miss out on a math debate ?

Yours looks right slider, TEAM SLIDER!!!

:smiley:

Yep, I think this kills, buries and puts a gravestone on top of the pissing contest between those that love Vinh and those that don’t care for his work. Different AOs, different purposes, different contexts and backgrounds.

And meanwhile, I sit in the far back and admire the work every modder does to improve our hardware, Vinh and TK included B^)

I think VAT % works in a similar way , it depends on weather you add it or subtract it.

I think there is a misconception that I run a business and thus have trade secrets or doesn’t like to share my findings. Here are several reasons why I don’t make many public posts on my builds

1) I dont think I am doing anything new/revolutionary to rave about and should show instructions so others can replicate. If I do have new findings that I think are worthwhile I do post about it on my Subforum on CPF.
2) It seems I never have enough time for emails, work and family.
3) I assume others that are more experienced than I am have already talked about their builds in detail already.
4) Anyone can send me an email to ask for anything. I always try to be as helpful as I have time for.

So in summary just because I am running a business I am just like any other average builders who is very chilled, easy going and love to share what I know. I am just a bit more busy as I mod/sell lights for a living.

Most technically oriented business owners I’ve come across that manufacture products will say that what they build have certain proprietary machining processes, finishes, circuitry, etc. Of course the proprietary depth tends to also depend on complexity and uniqueness. Then again some may be just blowin’ distracting smoke too. :laughing:

So you’re the much welcome exception to the typical in at least my experience rule. No complaints here to read about how you go about it!

And I will also say that IMO the hardest thing about doing something really well is to do it consistently well.

To Yogi Berra it, it’s dang hard to be consistently consistent. :open_mouth:

:slight_smile:

Thanks for posting your comparative cultural flashlight communities analysis, even in its current abridged form.

So that makes me wonder about how TLF, CPFItaliaForum, the Facebook group(s), /r/flashlight (and perhaps others?) fit into the larger picture of the global flashlight communities map.

I see we’re talking about Vinh again

I think another major factor differentiating BLF and CPF is how the forums are setup.

When I visit CPF, I typically visit the LED flashlight section. Combined with CPF’s focus on intermediate and high-end lights and in that forum I mostly see posts on unmodded lights.

CPF does have a small modding subforum, but it’s buried off in the boonies and hardly anyone visits it. It rarely gets any activity.

In contrast, when I visit BLF, the first thing I see is a listing of ALL recent posts from every forum. Threads on modded lights tend to appear front and center in this list and get lots of posts … which in turn keeps those threads on the list. Couple that with BLF’s emphasis on budget lights and you do end up with much more of a “Can do… let’s try this!” attitude.

I like both websites. CPF is a good resource for its niche. But as a modder I prefer BLF. BLF is much more active and has probably 20x as many posts from from active modders.

When I think about it…it doesn’t sound right.
You shine light at some object. The object reflects that light in one or more direction (usually scatters around).
Let’s pick the direction back. The object shines in that direction with intensity of X cd. So what reaches your eyes is X/distance^2 lux.

No idea why but running this cell in a PL47 will permanently make it a single mode only. No burnt smell but something must have shorted…becareful!
Happened to 2 PL47 back to to back

Ah, yes. The dreaded Vapcell “Widowmaker”… :open_mouth:

Wonder why?

That’s super weird…
Never heard of something like that happening.

I am using gold vapcell 40t on my pl47. It working fine… I will be careful and monitor.

The depressed "inny" top on those Vapcell cells are nasty. I bought one, but not happy with it - I commented in HKJ's review thread here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/54274. Mine does work fine in a C8F 21700 but still waiting on my PL47. Not sure but could be the an issue at the batt+ end if the PL47 is using a button and not a spring, or soft spring. Or the big flat tail batt- end may cause issues, depending on how that driver works with the aux LED's (I'm not sure if they are strictly MCU controlled or not).

I’ve got a couple of Vinh lights, started with a K40vn Fiat Lux, and bought about half a dozen after that.
Then unfortunately I had a bad warranty experience for 2 of my lights just after he brought in his Skylumen warranty cards, wasn’t interested in fixing the lights so I simply stopped buying his lights.
He is a nice guy and generally excellent at replying to emails.

Edit: bit of pub trivia for you all, Vinh once banned Wolfdog from buying any of his lights, then revoked the ban, now Wolfdog is his #1 lapdog :smiley:

Vinh:
My Flashlight fan self is started to be 5 years ago. I started with twisty pill Convoy C8 7135 stacking and XM-L2 dedoming. For the last 1-2 years I followed your work more-less and your builds inspired me a lot and in the last year if a new led came out I try to be the first who mod a flashlight with it :smiley: It sometimes happen sometimes not. I also sell a few modded lights but not do it for a living. Still hard to manage time and hobby and I make a lot more than I publish also because time. So I really understand what you talking about. Nowadays so many high power stock light came out that I often suggest people to buy one stock instead of me mod one because stock have the same output or nearly the same but it is cheaper. Also I know that a one hand built light will be more precise than a mass produced one. And if I do a mod for cheap not the money I worry about but the time I take it from my family. And that not worth. So I do my mods mostly at my regular work but in free times when everything going on it’s way fine.
Keep it up and do insane mods!

I love pub trivia!

:beer: :beer:

IIRC I think Vinh’s character was in a Seinfeld episode……….

“No flashlights for you!”

:laughing:

PS. Watt was Wolfdog doing to annoy Vinh? Hounding him? :open_mouth:

Flashlight Nazi hahahahaha!!!

Yeah it was many years ago, he was being his normal annoying self I guess and caught Vinh in a bad mood.
Since then he has unfortunately come to BLF to get in on our GB’s and gloat about the performance of his V54 lights.

Hey in Vinh’s kind of business I didn’t think it was even possible to be in a dark mood.

:laughing: :open_mouth: :person_facepalming: