Vinz Triple XM-L P60!!!

When machineable polycarbonate is available. Perhaps just the head could be done in clear polycarbonate with a gold host body. Hmmmm. lol

Scaru? Got any plans? You’re the one always pulling off the craziest concepts around here, right? :wink:

I sent my 7 XM-L board (with LEDs on it), a copper heatsink, a spring, and a contact board off to ChicagoX to solder the 2 wires. God, I hate soldering...

Truthfully I'm not sure, I was told that the LED board was soldered directly to copper; so I'm pretty sure the whole thing is copper but I can't be positive.

What on earth are you using to solder (iron, solder wire and flux)? I’ve seen you do some pretty cool stuff - there’s just no reason you should be having this much difficulty soldering wires… It’s got to be a materials/tool issue

PPtk

Here a list is of the stuff I'm using.

Flux

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049774

Solder is 60/40 rosin core solder, both 1mm and .5mm diameter.

I have a couple soldering irons, but the one I use the most is a 80 watt Weller soldering iron. Just the normal pen type. (I also have a 240 watt soldering gun and a 60 watt no-name one.

Do you have any recommendations of a good set up that is still relatively inexspensive? (Under 100, but if at all possible under 50)

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with this awesome drop-in.

Vinz uses a silicon carbide potting and some kind of expensive solder called "Mundorf Siber/Gold" (hope I got it right) with Teflon sleeved copper wiring. You should hear him talk about the build process. What he does inside, where you can't see, is truly amazing. This module is a lot more than just pretty.

vinzfanboyFoy

Pilot PTK. Hmm. Would you believe that some of us do have trouble soldering.Cry

I have some problems too sometimes. I blame it on only having lead free solder. It does wire to wire fine, but everything else I get a cold joint 90% of the time. Real pita

Scaru, can you take some beamshots of this animal?

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that for a while; I will try to get out this weekend. I just put it on my calendar. :)

waiting impatiently :weary:

@prairwolf, now this way I can test a lot of other lights I will have 2 triple XML p60s and a septuple XML all out at the same time.

After making us wait impatiently, this better be good! Epic, even. :wink:

+1

Scaru got a one of a kind. He isn’t making anymore of those. :frowning: But he is in the process of building some other awesome drop ins… Just waiting till they are done. :bigsmile:

mattaus is making a triple XP-G2 driven over 5A in a very neat package with user selectable outputs in multiple group via a ramping feature. Called the Hyperion, it should be coming out pretty soon.

Vinz has a quad XP-G2 in the works. I have my name all over one when he starts selling them.

At the rate that flashlights are growing exceedingly powerful, I wonder who will come up with an active cooling system for handheld lights? A neoprene wrap that has tubing embedded that flows to a pump on the belt perhaps. Like a coozie for flashlights, keeping them cold while they produce sunshine.

There’s also the EDC+ triple XPG-2 P60. Its driven at 2A and outputs 720 ANSI lumens.

http://edcplus.com/edcplusis-x60l3-triple-xpg2-led-p60-dropin-p-128.html

I will definitely be getting one of these when they come in stock….Maybe 2….

i have had a dozen plus p60s… ranging from budget $10 to vinhs $45 xml2s to kerberos’s $230 quad xpg

the only p60 i still have in my collection is my vinz xmlu3 3.2a

its the only p60 imo that handles heat well enough to run constantly on high

my point is that vinz makes good stuff!

I’ve had the EDC+ XP-G2 Triple on backorder for 6 weeks so I’m hoping to see that one real soon! I have their Nichia 219 Triple and like it very much. Even that one though won’t run on hi without making some pretty good heat after 10 minutes of runtime or so. Will let ya know how the XP-G2 model works as soon as I see it.