Waiting for the light to turn green - Green Convoy S2+

I really know nothing about metal coating but I do know that HDS charges a $70 premium for cerakoted lights, so I would assume its not a cheap process. I think its sprayed on but then has to be baked to harden it, so I guess its time consuming. I didn’t realize there were limited to what sort of dyes would stick with type-2 ano so I was just reaching for something I’d like to see. Really though, if you guys know me you know I’ll buy whatever color he puts out next. I think the biggest thing for people to do is to realize that he can’t do them all at once, so we’ve gotta be patient. I would love to see him continue to add new colors though, whatever he decides, maybe one color every few months or so throughout the coming year(s).

!

!

Image one no retaining ring. Image two with retaining ring but not screwed in. Some of the components are directly under the ring so I can not screw it down. Since I believe the driver should be held in space what should I do? Driver is a 17mm Moonlight Special Driver, 3 amp version from Mountain Electronics. Thanks for the help.

Solder the board directly to the pill, or cut out enough area of the retaining ring with a rotary tool.

I will solder the driver to the pill then. Good advice. Thank you. My second flashlight build. :slight_smile:

Simon has to keep the Convoy store closed a bit longer. He has to run new fiber optic lines through his new facility. This and other unforeseen difficulties that come with the move are pushing the reopen date further back. I’m sad to say we’re probably looking at another 2 weeks. He said he will probably reopen by the 15th. I’ll keep you posted.

Suggest you pull the driver and mcpcb and pre tin the pill at the notches. It takes a good deal of heat to accomplish a well wetted bond to the pill, more than you want to expose the driver to. Then reassemble and bridge the driver w/out retainer. Or, as alternatively suggested, relieve the ID of the retainer.

“Suggest you pull the driver and mcpcb and pre tin the pill at the notches. It takes a good deal of heat to accomplish a well wetted bond to the pill, more than you want to expose the driver to. Then reassemble and bridge the driver w/out retainer. Or, as alternatively suggested, relieve the ID of the retainer”

Have not done any soldering yet. Thanks for the heads up. 264

The 18350 middle tube has no O rings on the pictures. Am I to pull them off the 18650 tube?

When can I get some spares o rings and what size?

Sooooooo…. When do we get our FDE thread? I feel the need to spam a thread about this. Then promptly derail said thread with requests for a matching AA/14500 S2-style host. And matching pocket clip.

0:)

I know. I know…
I haven’t had much time lately but I’ll probably try to get that up this weekend. I’ve also been hesitating because with the Chinese New Year going on I have many unanswered questions. Simon has that holiday to deal with along with moving his entire operation so I probably have 40 unanswered emails. Several of those are trying to confirm details about the Desert Tan version. I’ve been hoping to receive more info on it before starting the new thread as there will be lots of questions I just don’t have answers to. Just bear with me a little longer…

Quick general question. I’m ordering a couple of S2+ lights from Simon shortly. Does the S2+ get hot in high with 4 7135s? I’m trying to decide 4 vs 3. I’d like to run on high for extended times without heat issues. Warm is fine, hot is not for me.

In my opinion 4 is quite tame. I don’t consider heat a factor until you go up to 6 where it’s manageable but will get a bit hot after a bit. Others can chime in if they feel different but that’s my opinion which is just based on my own use and not any type of real testing.

So 4 doesn’t get hot? I want to use this as a dog walking light, and typically run on high for around 30 mins at a time.

Hey, that’s my role to derail the thread with requests for the desert tan, you can continue with the AA/14500 requests though :stuck_out_tongue:

O-rings stretch a bit so exact size isn’t absolutely necessary as long as they’re not too big. For now just borrow them from the large tube and check the OP of the short tube thread for a link to the o-rings.

Phaser burn it really depends what you consider “hot” and what climate it will be used in. I say go for 4.

4 it is, then. Thanks

just ordered my first convoy, a green s2+. :smiley:

Congratulations! It won’t be your last. :smiley: The S2+ is a great all around light. I’ve been carrying my blue S2+ for the last month with the deep carry clip and the shortened 18350 tube. What tint did you order?

Ordered 1A cause I don’t have any lights in that tint. Matter of fact I don’t have any green ones either. So it will definitely be different from my other lights which are mostly in the 3’s. I also ordered a blue 18350 tube and 5 deep carry clips. Pretty excited!!! :beer: