WALLBUYS SMAL SUN ZY-T08 and ZY-T13 Group buy - CLOSED - GOT the first one today, see the OP for photos.

No guarantees but I am trying to see whether or not it would be feasible to have some produced. It would save me a ton of time and risk to have a 25mm star. I have to carefully grind down every ZY-T08 reflector to get the focus right, even with super flat solder joints, this wouldn't be necessary with a 25mm star. I do it so often that I invested in a belt sander / disc sander combination basically just to sand reflectors! Before this I used to do it by hand with a dremel, but that took even longer.

8 hours left.

Group Buy is closed. When I get the light and led, I will start on the video tear down and build. I will do that in another thread.

And open again for 15 hours. Maybe a good chance for the $100 cashback wallbuy promo, if you haven't bought something.

MT-G2 on Noctigon for $18.75 + shipping, including Zener Mod DIY kit. Get it while supplies last (but don't worry too much, there are more on the way!)

In order to get the Zener Mod DIY kit, please select your instructions type from the pulldown menu on the MT-G2 page, otherwise you will not receive the DIY kit!

Mod thread is here.

Any kit w/o emitter options?

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=99

My Wallbuys orders page shows mine shipped today.

Received my Small Sun T08 yesterday. Only 5 days from shipped status to receiving it. It is not as bright as my Noname HD2010, but is good enough for me. Thanks OL for posting the GB.

It’s been two full weeks since I ordered and mine still shows “Collecting Products”.

Supposedly the group buy lights have shipped. Did you try http://wallbuys.com/ordertrack and input your PP address with the order number?

Received T08 today, seems reflector is aluminum and thanks again OL for the GB.

04-25-11 Got the first light today. It does have an aluminum reflector. See the photos in the OP.

Didn't someone grind down an MT-G2 board for a 16mm pill?

They told me it was back ordered and they would ship it when they got more in. I canceled the order. Well, I requested that it be cancelled, but they haven’t refunded anything.

Just a follow up and a few thoughts about the new reflector: I now have done a few of these lights with the aluminum reflector and I am not happy at all with the change. The old plastic reflector was excellent and I have to spend much more time and effort trying to get a dedomed XM-L2 focused with this one. Even after tons of sanding and centering, the results are not as good as what I could get with the old plastic reflector. Sure, it is still an excellent thrower, but when you know what the results were before and the effort it took, it is silly to think that this is anything but a step backwards.

I wouldn't even feel right selling one of these lights stock. The reflector is too short and it lets the glass rattle, the spacer doesn't fit (it's the one from the plastic reflector,) and the beam is subpar.

Here's what I ended up doing, after trying a few different things:

1. I reamed out the stock hole slightly to allow a nice, tight centering spacer to fit (it will be discarded later, I'm only using it to get the emitter centered.)

2. Next, I reflowed a sanded down MCPCB onto the back of the MCPCB with the LED on it, which helped with the spacing issue.

3. Using Arctic Alumina, I use the reflector, glass, and bezel to center and apply pressure on the LED, then waited for it to dry.

4. After it dried, I removed the centering spacer, radiused the reflector around the edges so it could sit flush on the MCPCB, and sanded the emitter hole portion of the reflector so it was thinner.

After all of that, and trying on two lights, the beam just isn't as good to me as the original plastic was after being worked on.

The aluminum reflector just ruined one of my favorite lights for me. I'm not buying or building any more with this stupid thing, whoever wanted this change tried to fix something that wasn't broken and ended up ruining it in the process. Am I bitter? Yeah, just a little bit! Too many hours spent today trying to put lipstick on a pig I suppose. The sun will come out...tomorrow...

I’ve modded a few lights with new emitters and spacers and had to do something similar, but I’m too lazy to shave down a copper shim. I bought a set of different thickness shims.
I got this set from seller goldpart on eBay. It comes with 45 shims in nine different thicknesses from .5mm to 2.5mm. There are a lot of different sets to chose from, but they are all square.

Edit- the shim package I linked above is 20mm square. I use these on 25mm MCPCBs.
Here is a similar set in 15mm for use on 20mm MCPCBs.

By popular request (and bickering) BLF members demanded the aluminum reflector over the plastic version for this light. I guess no one knew which one was better at the time. Thanks for the detailed report. So… who is selling the plasti-version?

I don't know, but I have a few samples on order from a few places. I'll report back with what I get.

What I don't get is why anyone thinks there was a problem with the original reflector. Yes, it was plastic, but it was good plastic. I'll take good plastic over aluminum any day; it's lighter and doesn't need an insulating gasket (no shorts!) There seems to be some sort of group think here that says, "plastic reflectors are inferior to aluminum ones!" Yes, there are some crappy plastic reflectors out there, but Fenix, Nitecore, and I'm sure many others use...you guessed it...PLASTIC reflectors! That fancy TK61 and TK75 everyone drools over use plastic reflectors, and they are much lighter and nicer to use because of it. Rant over!