Wallet-sized LiIon Charger build for pennies!

That is awesome! Now I’m going to have to build one. :slight_smile:

Wow, did not even see those in RMM’s store, next project, here I come!

WHAAAAAAAT damn the things people come up with… You should start a shop selling DIY kits!

I'll take ten thanks. How much did you say? Buck fifty? Seriously though very ingenious. Would you believe I have a couple of those charger boards left and I ordered for no reason some micro usb cables the other day. Its a shame I have a light to finish before I start anything else.

Now that’s something new… How did you secure the wire to the magnet? Once I tried to solder on a magnet but it wasn’t a magnet anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

I made mine based on an 18650 battery holder with a voltmeter, not nearly that small! Yes, how did you solder to that darn magnet???

Unit I built… Charger

Matt

That’s a stroke of genius! I was stumped on how to implement these in a nice way just a few days ago.
To make it current adjustable, you could use a 10K pot in series with the resistor, something like this sticking out of the side or top of the container.

I got that small pcb board from china but forgot where i put it :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe i will try to make my own pocket charger :slight_smile:

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Great job

That is pretty cool and creative!

Cool idea, well thought out.

You can look for magnetic connectors pre-made.
I got some from mindsetsonline.co.uk a while back

http://mindsetsonline.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/magnetic-connectors?productID=246373b2-2c6d-4ec8-a061-2f90dcc4a404&catalogueLevelItemID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

It’s a little metal can with the wire soldered to that, and the magnet held in the can by a crimp.
NOTE, if you buy a single pair, you may get magnets that are both installed in the ‘can’ with the same polarity — if so they will leap to stick to each other, round-face to round-face. Guaranteed short circuit.

If you get two pair, and swap one of each, and shrinkwrap the magnets and wire, then the faces will both be the same polarity and repel. The magnets will still leap toward each other but the face of one will be pulled toward the rear-wire-connection side of the other — and your shrinkwrap will insulate them electrically.

Love it dude!

I used some flux and a low-power 15w soldering pencil iron, ( so to not heat up the magnet to hot and demagnetize it) the button magnets i used seemed to have a nickel or chrome coating on them and the solder flowed quite easily to them.

its a matter of not getting the magnet to hot, but just hot enough on the surface of it for solder to flow/stick. The first one i tried demagnetized it quite a bit, the second one i made sure the magnet was stuck to a steel surface to help keep the open side cool when i soldered the wire to it.

nice,
im useing the “New” TP4056, its have Battery Protection, and have battery “in” and load “out”
its alsow have a micro usb wich make it even smaller :slight_smile:
im goin to have few more soon and i was planing to build a balance charger for 3 cells in series.

Julian Ilett video

Be nice to have a thread for all of these mods. Here’s the one I did for a 10180 that went with a light in the geocash box. TP4056 board and brass contacts epoxied to a piece of 1” Fiberglas cloth and potted. Resistor mod for ~50mA.

I remember that cool 10180 one for the Geocache box. i wonder if its still in the box traveling, or if anyone traded it out yet.

freaking awesome!