Want to learn how to reprogram my own drivers. Got the interface parts today

So what coding language(s) should one learn to fully understand how the flashing works and the program?

Actual flashing doesnt take any coding, its just a short CMD line string, the code (C+) is used to tell the MCU how to operate, once you write the code in C+ AVRStudio compiles it into a .hex file and you flash that file to the MCU. So to be able to write your own program and control how the driver operates you use C+, to install that code onto the driver doesnt take any code at all, just a simple command line.

Hi,
Can this be used / is it the right one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC8-SOP8-Test-Clip-For-EEPROM-93CXX-25CXX-24CXX-in-circuit-programming-/400569532752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d43ce0150

For the ribbon cable, you want female-female to connect to the male connectors on the clips and in the USB dongle connector - no other adapters needed. comfy has a more advanced setup than me - I'm just using one cable, female-female, and that's what I linked to at FT.

--------------------

I started working in C back in 1980 or so - TurboDOS (multi-user CP/M) on a Z80. I also bought the original IBM PC for like $3,500. I worked with almost all the generations of floppy disks, from the single sided 8" disks, paper tape systems, lots of assemblers, few different micros, few different mini computers. Worked on OS/driver development for the Trident II sub - custom dual-core computer, etc.

The ATTiny13A, though small and somewhat limited, is way way more advanced than any early micros I've worked on because so much is integrated in the one piece of silicon. You do have to have a pretty good understanding of the peripheral functions embedded in the chip in order to program these things, or understand the software. The flashlight firmware is like an app, drivers, and OS all rolled into one.

With that said, you can take any of our publicly posted working drivers and easily tweak them for simple changes, like adding, deleting modes without getting into the full understanding of what it does.

Big drives for me was a. 8” floppy back in 82. The good old days and thanks for the links OL and crew, going to give this a try finally.

I did a writeup, pretty much everyone else has covered the rest

Yes, those will work…however you will have to change the pinouts on the ribbon cable to the clip

I have a repository for ATtiny13 firmware code and builds along with the drivers and other things

You are welcome to use them if you like

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjq5ahllbuqf1zh/AAD32CMiPlqVrnDNK40JX40va

Thank you. I ended up going with this TX seller for the components.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/26419#comment-579692

Have you ever considered Launchpad or GitHub instead of Dropbox?

It’s kind of nice having revision history, a bug tracker, and the ability to branch and merge.

you ant kidding about the little microcontroller being advanced…lol

i went and downloaded the datasheet or manual or whatever… for one of the atiny things?

sweet… bleeding… christ

i’ve done a lot of assembler and hex code back in the day? but… i was always expected to do the programming of the bloody thngs for, wel, for lack of a better word… “programming”… IE, flow control, decision making, branching…

i never had to be THAT concerned with the exact device itself.

“okay… you got a binary value on THESE control lines already? its sitting there? okay… yeah… i think i just set a BIT HIGH over here, then i can read it out of this memory location… THIS is the math function you want performed on THAT value i read in? okay… yeah… this aint THAT bad… you got a LIST or somthing, of what lines i turn ON and OFF based on that? okay…”

I honestly have no idea, or i should say, no experience with this sort of thing…

===

I would ABOUT have to get one of these things, run some sort of little “hello world” program, then start fiddling, until i got something loosely resembling a “pulse train” chucking out one of the pins, LMAO… sit there and watch it on the oscilloscope and maybe the frequency counter… and start “fiddling” until i could control it a little bit to get th pulse train i want out of it….

i MUCH prefer the “standing on the shoulder of the giants” theory of things, LMAO, i get quicker results that way, ha ha.

i was INITIALLY excited to see the C programmig? once i looked at some examples in the datasheet/manual though? its of little help, lol… the c-code seems to be just feeding the device hex codes and setting bits and such…. you might AS WELL be just doing it all in an assembler, i mean, you are issuing the same hex commands and worried about setting bits and reading memory locations ANYways.

=

but, enough of me WHINING abou what i dont know, lol… what i DO LIKE about this series of microprocessor or microcontroller or PIC or whatever the *&^% the device is?

it seems to be really self contained ! thats really exciting to me… back in the day? i was used to “carrier boards” and it was a little project to build the freaking little board that ran the thing… this thing seems like it only wants a voltage and a ground and its good to go to drop into a project, just about.

i idly wonder how big a hairy deal (time/money wise) it is, to try to get what i want in the way of a pulse train out of the thing…

looking all self contained, no carrier board, and so cheap per unit? these are eminently COOL, i tell you…

zaq1

zaq2

zaq34

These all came from ebay and arrived in a couple of days. The place they came from is Atoms Industries.www.atomsindustried.com

They are in Carrolton TX.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to wire it together and install some software.

No clue how to do a GitHub

Pretty much all I have been doing is getting the code people post (open source), whipping up a .hex file from it and putting on Dropbox

I would host from my own webserver thru my own internet…but my last one died hard (harddrive went mega kaput) and just haven’t gotten around to building a new one yet

Be VERY gentle with that blue SOIC chip OL…very very fragile…I chewed up the pin ends on mine after about 20 flashes…cut the little teeth off and have to manually hold it on the chip now and have my kid hit the enter key on the computer

exactly what I have and flash the snot out of some ATtiny’s

WOW…http://www.atomsindustries.com/ prices are all that bad!

With the SOIC8 clip you don’t have to remove the chip from the driver board?

Also, someone had plans to make drivers with a micro USB interface (The World's Most Advanced AMC7135 * 8 Driver). How did that go? Anybody else done it?

even without the clip you don't have to remove the chip, that's what ISP means (In System Programming).

So, now the fun begins?

I installed WinAVR 20100110 and Amtel Studio 6.1 (5.1 would not load on my Win8.1 PC, well, I can't find an install that is complete or not corrupt).

I have avrdude and is anyone using the avrdude gui? It looks like it's more "user friendly".

I installed the usb driver and the card is recognized.

I have to go to work soon, so I can't play till tomorrow.

Which pinouts to which pins? Is there an easy pin to pin description somewhere you could point me to?

Edit: Find your post where you answer this very question: howto: flash ATtiny with AVRDude and command prompt

Pinout-
http://flashlightwiki.com/AVR_Drivers#Set_up_your_clip

As seen in Sirius9's post: