Want to make high CRI desk light

Not sure the exact numbers, but they should be up there...

Nichias don’t make much light you would need a lot of them…what about a high cri XML s6….

I personally have a standard 10W 12V warm white led in my desk lamp, this was planned as a provisory test first but it works now since a year or so without problems.

how do you know if it is high cri? XML “S6” is that the bin or tint? I have an xml 1A tint and u2 bin, and that has horrible cri lol

You need to buy the high cri version, s6 is the brightest bin of the 90cri minimum XML2s.

Nice warm tint and high cri but not so bright as the lower cri XMLs you have.
http://www.illumn.com/cree-xm-l2-bare-s6-7d3-tint-2900k-90-cri.html

I just have the LEDs. They are good devices on a reel from Nichia. Answers to you questions about tint/color/CRI are in the indicated thread. Also some talk about mounting them on XPG MCPCBs.

if you want to run just one 3V LED, a 5V wallwart and 1,2 or 3 AMC7135 chips (for 350, 700 or 1A drive current) is the simplest option. A work light I built using a desklamp as a 119 from FT running at 700mA and puts out a pretty much perfect amount of light.

If you want to run more than one LED (say 3 or 4), there are a bunch of drivers from DX, FT and Banggood that run from mains voltage (whatever that is for you) and put out between 300 and 450mA. That would make for a lot of light, but would make an awesome strip light.

If you want dimmable, ask Texaspyro, as he’s built a bunch of lights with dimmers.

Personally I’d go with the 119s from Fasttech if you like a slightly warm neutral white or the 119s from Texaspyro if you want a slightly cooler neutral white (still NW, but cooler than the FT 119s). Nichia 219s are nice, but I can’t really tell the difference between them and 119s for colour quality and both give out more than enough light for what I need.

I’d also suggest some kind of optic too, even a really wide angle one if you want a lot of flood, as bare LEDs are “glarey” and hard on my eyes at least.

this has been serving me well as desk lamp. S2+ with Nichia 219C & 60degree TIR lens mounted on table microphone stand :smiley:

That is actually a bright idea! The existing flashlights are amazing as they are or even better if modded. A holder/stand is all that is needed, technically.

I would recommend the Nichia e21a over the 219 series in a desk light.
The color rendering is absolutely amazing as is the tint and significantly better than the 219c.

I’ve bought mine from BLF member Clemence www.virence.com

I’ve been musing on going back to school:

FWIW, I never made the desk lamp I was planning.

Instead, I put together something out of a Viltrox L116T panel, a gooseneck mount, and a DC power supply. It’s pretty nice, dimmable, and has really good high-CRI tint adjustable from 3300K to 5600K. It’s similar to a Nichia 219B tint, especially in the middle CCT range where it gets farther below the BBL than it does at the edges. The brightness goes up to ~1000 lm, and down to “20%”, though I haven’t measured if that’s a linear or perceptual scale.

Unlike a flashlight, it doesn’t make sharp shadows. The light is emitted from a much wider area, so it looks more natural. I also don’t have to charge it, though there is an optional battery slot for portable use. And with the right gooseneck mount, it’s pretty easy to position however I want. I use it as both a desk lamp (when facing down) and a room light (when facing up). When it’s facing up, there are basically no shadows at all.

Total cost was about $60 for a single lamp… $30-ish for the light panel, $15-20 for a gooseneck stand, and $10-15 for a decent power supply.

There are also larger, brighter panels available… but they’re heavier so it’s harder to find a suitable mount for them. They work better on top of a tripod, and are intended for lighting scenes for videos or photography.