Wanted to buy-Boring service!

Le me wait till I get it. Should be tomorrow so I can verify if it`s the right size.
It`s supposed to be 1/4 to 2-1/4 inch diameter.

me too! :smiley:

I`m about to hunt down Jeff Bozo and Rocheabeau him personally.
They sent the wrong F*CKING item AGAIN!!!
At this point I might as well buy a lathe and get it over with!

Unbelievable, and on the weekend no less!

So anyway, I have a old friend with a 1-man machine shop. If he's not overwhelmed with orders, he's always been open to helping me with small quantity jobs or simple one-offs, such as boring a battery tube.

I hope to touch base with him next week about boring my remaining 6Ps & Z2s. If by small chance he's available and willing, would sending your project out-of-state to Michigan be of interest?

I’m sure Jeff Bezos has a lathe to sell you. :laughing:

I would be most interested :+1:

I also have a few to do.

Well, I just received what the Amazon customer service agent said would be the right cylinder hone and wouldn`t you know it, third F*CKING time they got it wrong!
Lick my center of gravity Jeff BOZO!

I would sure have someone do it with a boring bar, mill or lathe….using a hone to try and remove that much material will take ages and likely go through a couple sets of stones. I actually can’t see the photo but I assume you’re trying to get one of the typical 3-arm adjustable hones. Good advice on the bucket of soapy water…easier and cooler than cutting oil and perhaps less likely to load up the stones so quickly. Have a dressing stone handy and use it a few times (probably).

An alternative to consider on the DIY front is a ball hone/flex hone. The BRM brand here in the states is rather expensive at around $18-$30 for the 18mm size (common in hydraulics), depending on material and grit. They are excellent quality, however, although need to be used correctly and will still take forever. I found some on aliexpress for pretty cheap and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality. I got this one from the Paladin Abrasives store a few years ago…320g silicon carbide was/is all they have available in 18mm (and they’re charging a few bucks for shipping now…such is the trend recently). Used it to very slightly enlarge some 18650 tubes to fit fatty cells.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001039041132.html

Found this other one which appears to be 240g and perhaps normal aluminum oxide? Whatever “black corundum” is. Hopefully it’s not cheese. Free shipping on this one….no experience with them and it’s a new-ish store.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002607389794.html

These are very slightly oversized, by the way, to provide the correct tension/pressure for best performance. Might be a too-tight fit in your battery tubes but should still work…just try to rotate it in the direction of rotation you will use as you insert it. They’re a little less than 3” of honing surface, which is good although you’ll have to be careful at the tube ends so you don’t overdo it there.

Also, you’ll be removing any anodizing by doing this, so be sure your wraps are always in good condition.

Just a ballpark guess but based on other things I’ve had done, I would expect most machine shops to charge you around $60 for one tube, scaling cheaper if the other tubes can be repeated on the same tooling setup for the most part. Maybe less if you find a friendly shop who isn’t super busy….maybe more if they aren’t very interested in doing it for you.

Took a peek on amazon and found a couple BRM ones, actually pretty fair prices except the added shipping costs. Sometimes you can find these in local auto parts shops (Napa is a good bet) or other supply houses.

240g SiC, $12.59: https://www.amazon.com/18mm-Flex-Hone-Cylinder-Silicon-Carbide/dp/B002SZZVRM/

Says 240 but the part number would indicate 320g, SiC, $17.99: Amazon.com

(side note, if you ever wonder why finer grits usually cost more it’s because the stuff is bought and sold by weight. Although they’re smaller, you can fit more into a given space so the product is more dense usually. Sometimes you run into supply/demand pricing, though, where popular grits will be priced better.)

I left him a voice mail message this morning. Since he's a 1-man shop, he tends to take awhile to return messages, but I'll let you know if he can add a few parts to a scheduled job. (Hopefully Covid didn't put him too far behind, if not push him into retirement.)

`Black Corundum`…hmmm, could be interesting if it was cheese lol.
I might order a ball hone and try it out.

Tried to buy a few of those hones on AliExpress but for some reason the website won`t let me buy just one of each.

Lemme guess. Instead of the smaller one with 2 thingies, you got the bigger one with 3 thingies?

Same thing happened to me. The listing was/is wrong. I pointed it out, got it replaced no problem, but it seems no one corrected the listing.

B0015UWUQG bad.

B002INVEUM good.

Hmm, weird. I just tried and when I was logged in it seemed like it was going to allow me to buy multiple sizes and quantities. I only added them to the cart, though, didn’t follow through to the checkout screen because I didn’t want them to hound me or for it to look poorly on the seller once I deleted the items.

When I was not logged in, however, I did see a note by the quantity-to-buy buttons that said “one per customer” or something like that. It disappeared when I logged in. This was just at the Paladin store…didn’t mess with the other one.

Did a little reading about corundum today since I see that mentioned all over the place with machinist stones and various abrasives. I guess more or less it’s “aluminum oxide” but that doesn’t mean it’s our nice modern synthetically-produced al-ox. From the sound of it, those black hones may be just emery or something akin to it….which could be ok or could be disappointing. That would mean they’d cut a little softer like SiC does but they may not last as long as Sic, nor cut as quickly. Dunno. I haven’t used a ton of these in my life and other than the 18mm I got on ali, my other uses were all BRM hones, which are the benchmark standard.

Geez, the days of free or super cheap shipping appear to be all but over on aliexpress now. The subsidization is not over but they sure are trying to spin some extra bucks with shipping these days. Where I see free shipping now it’s generally the uber slow Caniao services. Plus price increases everywhere….I’m finding that it’s often as cheap or sometimes cheaper to score a good deal on the same thing at amazon. Dangit.

Now they tell me I have a coupon that can only be used for one item in my cart but they don`t give me a way to delete the coupon (SMH)

How much material needs to be removed, i.e. the diameter of the tube before and after using the hone boring tool?

A hone is a finishing device for cleaning up the surface after hogging out the bore.

Sandpaper will remove material slightly faster than using a hone.

A hacksaw blade held so the sides of the teeth rub on the tube wall will quickly rough out the bore, then a round file or sandpaper can dress it up, and the hone will finish it off to a nice looking surface. This is the quickest way using hand tools other than an adjustable reamer which would be the best tool if significant material must be removed.

Well, I was able to finally order a few ball hones.
Lets see how useful they`re gonna be when I get them in a few weeks

I have a lathe at work, and expandable reamers…………