Warm "throwy" 3V emitter between 3000K-4000K?

The warm Yinding has been tested, and the performance was disappointing. Not only does the output underperform the XPL-HI, but so does the intensity! I think the XPL-HI is a much better bet.

See post #139 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/68542?page=4

Also, the die of the Yinding emitter is often off-center from the square footprint, which does not play nice with a reflector.

SST20s come in high CRI and 4000k, and are relatively throwy because they’re small dies. However the output is going to be low (roughly 800 or less lumens), so you usually see them in multi-optic lights. A D4Sv2 with 4 of them for example gets around 3000 lumen and 41kcd.

I swapped a c8 from sft-40 to yinding 5050 3000k. The sft definitely had more output, an incredibly bright and intense beam. The yinding has a very tight hotspot and a surprisingly nice tint. In terms of practicality the sft wins I think, but I’ll be keeping the yinding in this host as its more fun

Fun is often underrated.

Thanks for your input about this, QReciprocity42!
However, even if the Yinding is less powerfull than the XP-L HI, I guess I will get a better beam for what I want, which is on a zoomie light. In case I find that its lower performance and beam are nor that good, I will change and opt for an XP-L HI, then !

The off-center may bother me a bit, but for thr specific flashlight I want it, it has some margin to center the PCB on the shelf, so it can be worked too!

In any case, thank you for the input :wink:

Thanks twisted raven!
The SST20s are not my favourite LEDs since almost all of them have a greenish tint and if I recall correctly even the 4000K has it. That is something I would like to avoid. Also, the SST20s are domed and for this thing I would prefer a domeless LED, such as the ones mentioned above!

Thank you for the input :wink:

Thanks for the input and the comparison merlot!
I was also thinking about the practicality of the beam, and thought that the Yinding would be narrower. However, since my main purpose will be a zoomie flashlight, I guess I can manage that by zooming in and out.
Something like the SFT40 would be ideal, though, since it is powerfull and has a larger center, but let’s see what I can do with this one :wink:

Thanks for the input :+1:

And it is never too much :wink:

Some new xpl hi info

What about a Cree XP-P in warmwhite?

Very throwy too, as its close to a Osram

Anything in 5050 footprint?

The Yinding that’s been discussed is 5050

Besides that one?

Maybe a dedomed xml or something. There’s not a lot of 3V throwy 3000k 5050 emitters out there

The new XML2, when fully dedomed, throws very well. There is such a test by koef3.

I’d vote for the XP-P for low CRI or a dedomed 519A for high CRI

I swapped in a DD 519A into an emisar D1S and got a grey blue tint on highest setting (which I believe is direct drive…?)

Thanks for the link! The beam seems nice, but maybe not as warm as I would like (that particular version, maybe a warmer one would be nicer). Thanks for the link and information! :+1:

Hum, I didn’t know that one! Seems a nice option! I gotta find a place where the warm version is sold. Kaidomain only has the 6500K. :nerd_face:

I’d rather not have to dedome a led, nor to use a dedomed one, since they normally produce some shifts due to their phosphor edges.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion. :+1:

A mix of the answeres above :wink: CRI won’t matter that much (for now) so the temperature will be what concerns me the most. Maybe the XP-P can become a good solution, in pair with the Yinding 3000K.

Thanks for the suggestions :+1:

If only it was possible to add a layer of phosphor to the SFT.
Or to the Osram culp…whatever…

I wonder what makes these major brands think that high intensity LEDs should all be cool white.

Since CRI does not matter, consider the Osram PC Amber, which is super warm (perhaps too warm for your use) and has been tested at 60-ish CRI if I recall correctly. The next best thing is the XP-P, though I'm not sure where to source a warm one. The XP-P has about the same output as the Yinding, but with half the effective area! That's double the intensity.

Thanks QReciprocity42, I also didn’t know that emitter!
However, will it be on a “throwy” side as it is or did it have to be dedomed?
Right now, I am not sure what I would consider as “too warm” so this could be an option, in case it throws well!

I guess I need to buy some leds and start making experiments :smiley:

Digikey and Mouser currently stock the XP-P LEDs. I just ordered a handful of warm (3000k and 4000k) XP-P LED’s from Digikey to try swapping into some lights.

XP-P is domeless, it is Cree’s attempt at a small die high intensity LED.
I ordered 1 from Kaidomain to try it, but KD only has 6500K.
From what i’ve seen (tests on BLF) it’s great up until you push more than 2 Amperes of current.
I didn’t know they made neutral and warm white too.