WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

See the table posted in the original post (and that I linked to in this thread again Sun, 05/01/2016 - 14:45)

24 gauge will handle about 5 amps, according to that.
I have no idea if that’s enough.

It’s possible switching to 24 from 20 was done to keep other components of the light (springs?) from overheating — or maybe they just picked up the wrong spool of wire, or couldn’t fit the 20 gauge through the holes they drilled, or couldn’t screw the black parabolic thing down over the thicker wire. Or something else.

No clue until someone knowledgeable reports.

Wait, I said I’d said enough. Well, too much.

Well you really got lucky that the wire was cut!! If it would have been still connected to the red lead, just cut, it would have been a ground short, black wire the light would not have worked. So what wire was sheared?

Both wires were sheared clean, I was rather surprised to find that that was the problem. The back of the mcpcb was reasonably sharp, like cut/stamped metal is without much sanding, and when I screw the ring on I can see the led twist some as the last few threads go thru. I assume when the ring got put on in the first place it happened, since it the ring was on pretty tight originally.

Very Lucky Indeed!

So….is a plastic insulator ring being mailed out to everyone in this GB??? Or do we have to take our brand new lights apart and dodgy them up with electrical tape?

Earlier I reported 5.45 amps (4.8-5 amps stock IIRC?) on my (Factory Hot Rod) Cometa with tail switch swapped out for a Omten switch and both springs bypassed, 5.45 amps!!! So I wanted to see (like everybody else) what the next upgrade would do, 20awg Leads? Pill tear down revealed something common and obvious, a high spot from the machining process, as witnessed on the star and pill, more pronounced when high lighted. Stoning Flat and Polishing will take care of this! Now for the 20awg upgrade… Too Long? No, these will be pulled tight, cut and soldered, shortest path = more power?? Stock Hot Rod Cometa, spring bypass’ and 20awg upgraded leads = Wow it actually hit 6.04 amps (by the time I hit hold on the meter) it dropped a bit. So a half amp increase by adding 20awg wire on my sample! Outstanding! But alas “Melt Down” has it beat by a little bit……(actual at start up was 6.52amps) Might just try upgrading the FET and 7135 and touch up some of the solder joints while I’m at it on the driver, Every Little Bit HELPS!!! :smiley:

Oh snap! :rage: Be careful with that centering ring plate and floating emitter, the emitter pad has a corner knocked off it, and it shows up on the wall, it dose not effect the beam from what I see using the light outside? That centering ring slop and that emitter floating ( not screwed down) , I must have nicked it during all this tearing down and upgrading? I have had to actually shove the star around to get it center to that plate, could of happened then too? My camera phone won’t pick it up, tried taking pic’s to show you guy’s. Damn! :rage: Best I can do look at the upper right hand corner, maybe do the other three corners? :smiley:

+1

It is a shame that Cyberescudo has gone through all of the effort in designing this light, only for the manufacturer to not build the light as specified, and making the light a potential safety risk in the process. I bought this light due to it being a zoomy with high performance out of the box, not requiring modding, and not being stupidly expensive like LED Lensers.

I had been looking forward to receiving this light for months. Now I’m extremely concerned/scared about receiving it!

I think that provided you insulate the pill (I made a small plastic washer the same diameter of the inside of the tube with a 10mm hole in the centre for the spring to poke through) & remove the led cover plate & check that the solder isn”t making contact then you should be fine.
If you feel confident then you could perform a more thorough check & there is quite a comprehensive explanation of how to fully disassemble the light & what/how to check in an earlier post but if you do the 2 things I have mentioned & the light works you should hopefully be fine.
It seems I have just been unlucky as my light arrived with both physical damage & not working at all.

+1
Well said ‘bella-headlight’!!
As far as I am concerned you and others have gone above & beyond in your efforts to trouble shoot & fix your light.
Good luck & best wishes………… :slight_smile:

“+1
Well said ‘bella-headlight’!!
As far as I am concerned you [ and others ] have gone above & beyond in your efforts to trouble shoot & fix your light.
Good luck & best wishes………… Smile”

Thanks for that teacher :slight_smile:
I have no doubt that my problem will be resolved to my satisfaction, it will just take a bit of time as I am dealing with the other side of the world.
I have actually learnt a bit about the construction & workings of a light due to trying to trouble shoot the problems with my Cometa.
If BG offer me a replacement & I keep the non working one I am pretty sure I will be either repairing it or attempting my first “mod” :wink:

So it begins!! :wink: :beer: “clink” :beer:

Dosen”t it just :laughing:
In the last few weeks I have bought a cheap digital light meter ready to measure any improvements in output I might gain & a cheap soldering station :smiling_imp:
The first “mod” can”t be far away :wink:

Lol, I have the same mark on my V3 2B I just put into my one Cometa… The centering ring has teeth!

I may drill a hole in the pill and tap in a split pin to keep the MCPCB from rotating… The Eagle Eye X5R I just reviewed has an anti twist screw. The MCPCB is held down by the reflector, the screw keeps it from rotating when you tighten the bezel…

Have you something in your mind,about what will be your first mod? Because I think that first effort should be to bring the light to early specs.ie 22mm driver,plus #20 gauge cables.
What do you think about it?

I had thought about my first mod being done on a cheap Ultrafire T6 either the single or triple emitter model, swap the LB emitters for Cree , driver swap, spring bypass etc but already having a dud Cometa might force my hand.
Certainly if BG let me keep this Cometa & send me a new one then I would look to mod it to original spec as you say, plus a couple of upgrades that have already been mentioned in this thread :wink:
I will have to wait to see what BG decide to do first though as they may want the Cometa returned.

>> centering ring slop and that emitter floating ( not screwed down)
> drill a hole in the pill and tap in a split pin to keep the MCPCB from rotating

Please explain “tap in a split pin” when you do that?
(might be worth creating a separate thread for ways to keep the emitter board from rotating)

I’d been wondering about drilling and tapping a screw to keep the board from rotating, but worried that would prevent the parabolic disk from contacting the board to heatsink it.

Spring pins are the type to use, drill a hole slightly smaller than the pin and then tap it in.

But I would be drilling and tapping a couple of holes so it can be screwed down. It looks like there’s plenty of clearance under the black disc.

I don’t like using thermal adhesive for mcpcb’s.

If you want to measure the clearance then just use a small piece of blu tack and then push the black disc down on top of it and remove to see how far it’s compressed.

Meant spring pin. Autocorrect got me.

Easier than tapping a hole and knocked down to the top of the pill or slightly lower.

How did you get it so low and clean?