WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

dumb question but here goes anyway. I have read that certain batteries make a light have a higher lumen output. Like an Efest instead of an Ultrafire cell. Is this correct, even though they both are 3.7V, or is it 4.2V?

In this Cometa I am using an Efest 35A cell, 2500 mAh. Would a 26650 cell make it any brighter, or just give me more runtime? Does this light accept either protected or non protected 26650 cells?

I suppose I ought to know this by now :confused:

thanks!

OK just now shined away
Compared to the Uniquefire 1504 and UT20

PLUS
Tint is much better.
Flood is broader on Cometa
Zoom is tighter and shines further on Cometa.
Tailcap is very nice with two little LEDs so more even then on the Kronos lights
Cometa has an excellent size and weight, the 1504 is too big and heavy, Cometa slides in pockets.
The ui is great

CON
dont dare to install 26650 cells the 1504 acepts all safely.
Irregularly the Cometa dims for a very short split second, that is the only thing the Uniquefires do not do.
The tube gets warm, the reflector holding head does not.
The zooming action is OK but noisy the Uniquefires do this better

Because of size and versatility this Cometa is my go to zoomie if the stutters are not going to be worse.

Thanks for this nice light!

I was reading back through some of this thread and came across this back in Post #1141. Has anyone tried just a direct PM to ‘Banggood’ and bypassed the polite, but seemingly clueless; Customer Dis-Dervice Department?? :question: . :wink: … :innocent:

IF any has tried, did it help any at all with reducing the ‘BS’ some are having to endure to just get a working light??

Also, I made washers similar to the one below out of a plastic tea jug. milk or OJ jug will do also :wink:
Make it about 1 inch/26mm diameter, [ it does not matter if it is perfectly round or not… just get as close as you can using scissors .]
Then drill or cut a quarter inch [ 1/4 ” ] hole in the middle of the washer.

It will drop down over the spring might need a little help and sit against the driver. No way anything will short out with this set up. When in place all you can see is the top half of the spring. :beer:
Problem solved… end of story.

I’m sure the pictured one below from ‘Banggood’ will work Ok, but the smaller hole covers it much better.

Just thought I’d add this in case anyone was still looking for an easy solution. :wink:

Which 26650 are you referring? For a comparison we need to know.

Accept protected and not protected 26650.

+1

EDIT: PS, this is really worth reading, it’s the situation viewed from the other side, by a US guy with a Chinese business, about how his customer service people IN China handle calls.
It probably sounds very familiar:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/customer-service-chinese-style/

TM’… can I assume, when you said “don’t dare to install 26650 cells”; that you meant before adding an insulating washer or something to cover the bottom of the pill?? … :question:

Yes no time to make a washer it was kind of a hectic day for the Q8 ;

Hank excellent input. So basically attention is what they have learned to give, makes you look at the chat differently.

TM I made my insulating washer from a black plastic lid I had lying around.
I used a 26mm hole cutter to cut the disc & then just ran an 8mm (iirc) drill through the centre pilot hole the hole cutter had left.
No way a cell can short on the pill with it in place

My light arrived today. Aside from some minor imperfections on the permitter of the lens, everything seems in working order. I didn’t mess with it too long, but it seems OK.

I filmed the entire unboxing and the hoops I jumped through to assure myself it wouldn’t short. Not sure that will make it to my YT channel, but who knows.

Bella, it’s not “uncivilized” — it’s “different culture” —
You’re acting like a Westerner, and you’re interacting with Chinese.
That doesn’t mean you’re civilized and they’re not, nor vice versa.
Different. Astonishingly, frustratingly, endlessly, amazingly different.

None of us had this experience before the Internet came along — this is disintermediating at work.

Like stripping out the insulation and bumpers and buffers. Letting the cultures collide.

All of us have had a lot of learning to do here, knocking heads against brick walls is how it feels from the outside.

Apparently it’s very different from the Chinese side.

Like the guy I quoted said. That’s why they don’t let Americans handle customer support in their Chinese office, Americans get angry and take it personally if they have to keep giving attention what seems endlessly.
Perhaps you’re having the same experience.

The more you fill up multiple posts and complaints with public email, the less you’ll be regarded as a good customer, from their side.
The people you’re interacting with have no idea what they sold, what you bought, or what it should be.

They’re just taking the information, following a script ,reading the words on the page to you.

That’s all they can do.

If you keep opening new conversations — the whole problem gets very muddled.

It’s not about you.

It’s not just about your flashlight.

This is a worse than usual quality control problem, a big one, between big companies in China.

They are not going to be hurried by your complaints.

Breathe. Go use a different flashlight.

Let it get worked out.

I have 2 of each type of Basen 26650 (recessed button and protruding button)
Has anyone had a problems using the recessed type Basen cells? If the button doesn’t protrude it can’t short…right? So it should be completely safe…right?

Edit: these are the ones I’m talking about, shouldn’t be a problem should it?

I have been told by more than one member that I should not complain about my Cometa on the forum so I have deleted those posts & apologise.
Obviously I cannot delete where a member has quoted one of these posts but if the members want to delete these quotes themselves please do.
I won”t post any complaints/problems in this thread again.

Flat Top or Button Top could short. Put a washer in it then you don’t have to worry about it shorting on the pill end at all. It is simple to do so why gamble by not doing it?

I shrank that pic a tiny bit………. :wink:

lol, it filled up my whole 21” computer screen

same here, driver spring got very hot
seem to have issue inside tailcap… i can’t get it apart…
i have only read up to page 35…

I would still make an insulator disc for the underside of the pill. Not worth the risk to save a few minutes by not cutting out a disc.

+1 and Amen!!!

There is no reason to put any brand 26650 in this light without insulating the pill with a washer or something.

If anyone does after reading all the stuff in this thread, if it blows up, burns up, or melts down… it is your own fault… :wink:

I have read what ‘hank’ & ‘Sharpie’ have posted about dealing with “other cultures”. While much of it makes sense, I won’t pretend to understand it all.

As far as I am concerned you have not stepped to far over the line… if at all ‘bella-headlight’. You just honestly relayed your experience to us, simple as that.

However… out of respect for you and your wishes I’ll go back and delete anything I wrote or quoted about your situation that is suspect.

It is my hope that you will keep us updated in whatever way you deem appropriate. :innocent: … :wink:

EDIT [4May2016/2100hrs.]: I have deleted posts & “quoted posts” as requested. It should all be ‘PC’ now… :person_facepalming: … :innocent: … :wink:

Yup, easy peasy. Just cut circle out of a plastic milk jug and stuck it in. There is no doubt my 26650 would have shorted since the positive side of the cell protrudes out quite a bit.

you can use the 18650 adapter as a circle template. trace around it with a sharpie

Yeah, if the script is designed to give the complaining customer “a better deal and attention”
that would explain both the “$5 credit” offers and the repeated responses asking for more of the same information.
That’s “a little sweeter deal and a lot of attention” — as though the person complaining was making up excuses to get a little more than

And from the Western side we’re — I think — looking for specific performance, QA and QC, expecting to get exactly what was specified and ordered, paying the agreed price, exactly as agreed…
That’s — really —- different than the approach described above mutually dickering over price while fiddling with the product to nudge the value of the deal one way or another.

If you haven’t read “Poorly Made in China” (and searched that string here at the forum for more stories), and read the Amazon reviews both pro and con for that book, I strongly recommend taking the time.

I wish I understood better how our approach to making a deal must seem from the other side of the deal.
Because from the side described as Chinese, if they start off assuming we’re just trying to find fault to pay less than agreed — we’re far apart.

Hm, Gone way off topic, but I wish someone knowledgeable would open a discussion with some threads for teaching everyone involved how to read each other better.