WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

The flood in this photo in my opinion looks far brighter than it would in reality.

I’m no photographer but I know they can make image’s like this look much brighter than they really are.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the link. I have never heard of this either. I see the “allows for readjustment” feature. So, it does appear this might work for the regular amount of adjusting a zoomie like the Cometa.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was alluding to. I will try it again on a completely dark area but I don’t believe there is any way it is this bright. I certainly wish it was!

Yes, thank you Sharpie, sorry I didn’t respond earlier but thanks for originally introducing this item! looks like just what I need, minus the part about roughing up the threads :slight_smile:

I’m glad you did too! I appreciate your sharing it ‘Sharpie’.
It sure looks a heck of a lot easier to use than Teflon tape, no matter what the application may be. :slight_smile:

Illuminated by Cometa

I couldn’t find in my mess a suitable plastic stock to turn the parts i’d like, i tried to find some plastic stuff to canibalize but it appears most of the plastic around us is completly shallow, you can’t have a meaningfull conversation with it and you can’t make parts out of it, so my Cometa is still in pieces till a solution is found to the plastic shortage.

As i expected the populated side of the driver sits on a shoulder inside the pill, most of the components that are closer to the edge of the driver can make contact with that shoulder, not all at once obviously because of the dimensions, but several can simultaneously touch with their conductive bits this shoulder in the pill, could that cause a problem eventually ?

That´s easy. In fact don´t trust beamshots that you´ve not made yourself :wink:
No I´m definitely NOT saying that the beamshots in the post for the sample are false or manipulated, but you have to be aware that beamshots are very relative and MAY NOT compare with the perception of the light in reality!

The thing is that depending on the camera settings (the exposure time is the major variable here) or image manipulations you can make even a 100 lumens lamp look like a 400 bucks flooder :wink:

A practical example: recently I made a beamshot of a very cheap Ultrafire P60 host with a very cheap 800 lumens DropIn.
It was made with a good DSLR and recorded in RAW, that means I´m able to boost the parameters later on in post production.

This photo shows the beam very close to how the eyes perceived the brightness:

And now the exact same base image changed with a few clicks, boosted by nearly two aperture values and tuned a bit to show more of the surroundings:

Looks much better, doesn´t it?

K.

When my Cometa eventually arrives and I’ve carried out the required mods to stop it from blowing up, I’ll do a side by side beamshot comparison on Cometa vs LED Lenser P7.2.

It does look much better. I’ll order one now, I can’t wait! :wink:

The beam shots for the Cometa are false!

I have no doubt at all that the photographer or the person responsible for using them knew very well that they were not representative of what you would see with your own eye’s.

It’s false advertising.

I took some photo’s of my Brintye B158 the other night as someone on here was interested, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked at the images when I got home. The beam shots were far brighter than they really were, there’s no way I would’ve put them on here.

> false advertising

You say that like it’s a bad thing.
Maybe it’s different outside the good ole USA.
Where I live, the laws assume us consumers are well informed thoughtful people who are not easy to fool, and so the laws allow trying to fool us — that’s how the economy thrives. Now you may disagree with that. Why even I may disagree with that. If it’s different elsewhere, congratulations on having a less crazy market and judicial system, and you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

But, just sayin’, be very wary of advertising. Some of it may be exaggerating the actual goodness for sale.

There’s a word for it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Apuffery

In a non-flashlight-related case, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said:
“Even in the commercial context we allow a decent amount of lying, don’t we? … It’s calling puffing”
https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Apuffery

Yeah, the exact words: “a decent amount of lying” — is what’s allowed.

Lord help us if anyone ever exceeds that standard and starts using an indecent amount of lying.

Yeah, it’s late and I’m cranky.

It is allowed in cases where the consumer will obviously realise that certain claims are way over the top and cannot be taken seriously.

But where is the line drawn and what is acceptable?

Over here in the UK advertising is self regulating and a complaint would have to be made to the Advertising Standards Agency.

Well informed and thoughtful people?

The system falls flat on it’s face when the grey line is crossed when a reasonable person may not be able to evaluate claims made with regarding to a product for sale.

Michael Douglas wasn’t happy in ‘Falling Down’ when he ordered a burger!

Argh.

And a different draw and different luck any time the retaining ring is loosened, or something just wiggles a bit sideways from being handled.
Boom — maybe.

I suppose there’s no hope of a retrofit for this issue, at this point.

Damn.

Who actually manufactured this? They set a new record for ignoring what they promised to provide, as though nobody cared about the innards of the product.

Well, they’ll pay the price in the long term if they try to turn this thing out as a commercial full priced product.
Some of them will blow up in their customers’ faces eventually with this much slop.

And they’re on notice — or should be, unless they pretend they’re not reading this discussion for belated quality control information.

This could also be taken care of with an electricaly insulating washer, i’ll turn one with a L profile for mine (to also center the driver in the pill), now to find some stock for the 3 parts i need to make… :open_mouth:

Edit: Or i might redo the pill with better fitting dimensions…and in alu to save a little bit of weight.

Please publish a spec. Maybe Hoop will be willing to make some for those of us in the US.
I’d say maybe the flashlight manufacturer would be willing to make some to correct their slop, but …. well, maybe.

Would putting a half-mm O-ring in the gap around the driver keep it from slipping off-center?

Agreed. If BangGood tries selling these and claiming BLF or CPFItalia approves them, someone should complain.

I can’t imagine to whom though. No consumer protection agency in China as far as I know.

But these are going to hurt somebody if they’re sold to the general public.

I know you were not referring specifically to my beamshots, but I wanted to make it totally clear that the comparative ones I did at Minnekhada Park, further back in the thread, were also somewhat brighter than they looked in real-life to my eyes. However I also wanted to better illustrate the differences between the various lights and not have them look too dark overall, especially the dimmer ones. Since it was more or less pitch black outside, just a little sky-glow from city lights, my eyes were quite well dark-adapted so my photos are not too much brighter than what I saw, but they certainly are a little.

The other variable is monitor calibration. There can be dramatic differences in brightness from one computer to another. I have my high-end, hardware-calibrated NEC SpectraView PA271 calibrated for matching print output, which tends to make things a bit darker, with a warmer tone too. My display is calibrated to a 5000K white-point and most “normal” monitors are at 6500K plus, which can alter the colour balance and perceived contrast of images too. Therefore, some of you might be seeing my beamshots much brighter than I am. This variability in displays makes it near impossible to create a single beamshot from one light that will be accurate for all that are viewing it. The best way, in my view, is always have numerous other lights for comparison, with the exposure and white-balance locked down in the camera and with all raw photos post-processed in exactly the same way, which is what I always do…

What about this product,which I can found here in Greece?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/auto-repair-tools/garage-tools/adhesives-sealants/permatex-liquid-electrical-tape-0388015p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

I’m not sure either, perhaps is it for its ability to be soldered, came in handy once on a pill i modified.

Could someone knowledgeable about the driver mark up a picture indicating which components near the edge are definitely NOT safe to be accidentally grounded, if the board shifts sideways?

Maybe a bit of that paint-on insulation could be used to protect those components?

When I pulled my pill out the driver was obviously off center (the ground ring visible as a crescent on one side).
Also the spring was coiled off-center (so the contact point was over to one side, not centered); seemed more likely to “lean” that way.

The light works so I didn’t mess with that besides adding a layer of tape onto the pill so I can try a bigger cell eventually.