Watch Flashlight

We currently have no coupon code for this product, but it's been a favorable price to you. Enjoy it!

Ordered 1.
If no-one better equipped to the task steps up and reviews it I’ll try to give a little impression when I get it.

We are looking forward to your review to share you opinions of this watch flashlight.

Looks like you even used surefire’s photo , i’m impressed.

That’s actually a really convincing photoshop job, they even removed the green tint!

Indeed

That’s how my “HandLights”’ worked. They put the light where you needed it, in a big floody ball all around your fingers and whatever they were working on. This one (and the name-brand one it copies) would put your fingers in shadow. Not to mention that lump sticking out would clobber your thigh every time you moved your hand.

Thanks for remembering. That was me. I’d make them again (with modern LEDs and driver — which it seems will need to be custom-built from the etch to the firmware) if there was enough interest.

EDIT: I’d rather not give away another idea to be “borrowed” overseas, but if anyone wanted to DIY a useful task light, here’s a useful-looking one I just Googled.

Lol, even a bigger rip-off than I assumed.

Meh, was already afraid it wouldn’t fully function as I wanted. Thanks for confirming.
Ah well, at least it’s another light design in the collection, and might find some uses for it.

And cool to know who it was! I couldn’t remember and couldn’t find it anymore.

I received the light! Very quick!

My impression:

Setting the date & time is horrible.
I got it as far as setting the time, but before I’m able to set the correct date the screen already turns off again and I have to start all over. Tried it several times, tried to recharge the device to see if that was the problem, but it’s still nearly impossible. Looks like button isn’t always recognized, despite hearing an obvious “click”

If you want to know the time you´ll have to click the button, screen turns off after 2-3 seconds.

During the charge there is no way to see it is charging, or to know when it is finished charging.

The light has High Low strobe & sos. If you need lo you first need to click it on in HI. It is HI-LO-Off
Strobe is accessed by holding down the light button, and sos by holding time&light button, so no accidental activation.

On High and Low it shows the remaining usage time. 1:40H for Hi and around 8H for lo (manual claims 1.25H for Hi and 4 hours for lo)

For the short period I had it on me it didn’t annoy me. It’s not heavy, and 5 minutes on hi didn’t make the light very warm.

Manual claims 200 lumens on high, 60 on low. No accurate way to confirm this. I think it might be a couple lumens off.

The light has more throw than flood, it has an ugly purple color and an ugly semi-square beam pattern.

Picture taken with cellphone on auto settings

When having the light on the inside of your wrist the light does not shine where you would want it to shine. The little bit of spill does shine on your fingers, but when in very dark environments I guess the hotspot shining on your other hand is more blinding than the spill helps.
If you use it to light the way you’ll have to hold your arm stretched out in front of you, otherwise you’ll light up the side instead of the path in front of you, so a normal flashlight works better in this situation.

All in all this light might have it’s uses, but I’m not seeing them right now.
I’m not unhappy I bought the light, for the price it is a nice gimmick to own in the collection, but for practical uses I doubt I’ll ever use it.

All in all I rate it:

Thanks for the report Johnny, actually some of these 'meh' features would not be different for the Surefire version.

Does it have a recognisable led?

Yeah, functionality wise it would be the same.
If I had paid surefire prices I would go screaming crazy.

For me the led is recognizable as “the light giving kind”

From the outside this is the best picture I can take right now. (click for large picture)

There are 4 screws in the base so I should be able to open it. Don’t know how far I’ll come with that, but I will try to open it later today.

Well, don’t see a way to get close to the led.
Think the silver ring around the lens on the outside is glued to the body.

click for large picture.

I was able to to shine a light on the backside, and some light went through the holes for the cables.
Might make a bit better picture of the led.

click to enlarge

Actually looks more like the XR-E

…than the XP-E

Based on the 3 strips on the die, two bonding wires, and mostly the shape of the board and lack of holes/markings under the dome.
Is that a metal ring around the LED in your photo? If so - definitely an XR-E!

Hirsh

I think its designed for brawls in the dark so that you can see who you are punching. At least that’s what sprung to mind when I saw the pics.

Okay, in the end it wasn’t glued.
It wouldn’t come off, but after prying a knife under it came loose and I was able to twist the lens off. (As it was supposed to do)

click to enlarge

It’s no metal ring.

And I must say, without the lens, it becomes all flood and has a more practical use in my opinion.
Although this introduces more risk to damage the led since nothing covers it now.

edit:
Had some DC fix leftover, put that on it.
It’s not a nice sollution, and it impacts the beam a bit, but I guess it’ll offer some form of protection, while still maintaining all flood and thus better light placement.

Wow! You’re right - don’t know WHAT that is! Perhaps Cree slightly re-designed the XP-E to make the board slicker.

Or maybe it is one of those new Chinese-made Latticebright LEDs (although put on a Cree-labeled PCB).

They were discussed here as fake-crees in this thread.

If I compare it with that thread, it’s not the same.
That one appears to be bigger.
And looking at the second picture, it has several “dots” mine has straight lines.

Sure, sorry I didn't mean the specific one on that actual BLF thread, but rather just that thread seemed to be the first to recently identify this Chinese manufacturer 'Latticebright' on the forum. There was another link in my post (hyperlinked on the word Latticebright) to another more similar Latticebright LED.

These were what I found on the Latticebright site with Three strips on the die and Two bond-wires (as per XP-E):

XG: http://www.latticebright.com/En/cpzs1/2015-05/12/NewsView-176.html

XE: http://www.latticebright.com/En/cpzs1/2015-05/12/NewsView-175.html

XD: http://www.latticebright.com/En/cpzs1/2015-05/12/NewsView-174.html

KD: http://www.latticebright.com/En/cpzs1/2015-05/12/NewsView-171.html

VF: http://www.latticebright.com/En/cpzs7/2015-05/12/NewsView-192.html

Perhaps the dimensions and/or position of LED board corner solder-markings give away the model.

Or maybe I'm way off and this is indeed just a slightly re-designed/modernised Cree XP-E board!

pictures won’t load for me, site is also very slow. So can’t compare.

While searching for wrist light I found out SF has released an updated version: The 2211X.

It uses CR123 and is rated 300lumens, the price is quite ok considering the brand.