Wavien rlt collar

Have anyone found a way to make a wavein RLT collar for light recycling?
I am stuck in building my flashlight because collar is out of stock everywhere.
Need help about it.

Yes

I cannot speak to the effectiveness as of yet. There is a noticeable increase in light in my little Ultrafire UF-T10 and the cheesy phone apps said a fair increase, I don’t remember what those numbers were though. Now that I have an Opple I plan on reattacking this project and getting better numbers.

First attempt was a small measuring cup you see in the front center, this was a major failure.

I then utilized a cheap set of carbide hemispherical cove wood cutting bits but instead used them on aluminum in my lathe.
The first attempt of this I attempted to grind the cut hemisphere using cutting fluid and a precision ball bearing. Unfortunately a hardened ball in cutting fluid does not grind aluminum, strangely enough the softer material grinds the harder one.
After that I attempted a more careful approach to the machining and just directly polished the cut aluminum using a lengthy series of polishing steps, dremel buffers, and a wide selection of polishing grits.

It worked.

I did a few more attempts with the collars and tried cutting offset groves to tweak the beam, those are the two on the right side.

I posted my work quite a while back and I had planned on continuing to update the forum but I lapsed. Plus a member on here did me a great solid and I wanted to pay him back but life kept me away and I still feel guilty about it.

I have made them the same way. I have found that a turning the chuck with a 450mm shifting spanner by hand is a better cut.

How do you calculate the curvature? it does have to have specific profile, not just anything that resembles a reflector, doesn't it? If the curvature does not need to be of specific parameters would just cut off portion of a reflector upside down work?

I don’t know the numbers but they are as good as the one currently available. These are Spherical. I have read somewhere that parabolic is better for COB LEDs. Parabolic curves are much harder to cut.

If a parabolic reflector was used that means a central LED could be pumped with extra surrounding LEDs.

1 Thank

Gotta say, I’ll probably never do this, but it’s incredibly fascinating.

I heard of people trying to use small reflective Christmas balls but with varying degrees of success.

The first one I made was stainless steel and I could notice the increase in intensity. I also think the aperture created helps with intensity.
It is better to start with the smallest opening. Focus the lens then open the aperture to suit the focal length.

It
The bits I found cut a hemisphere, it needs to be a hemisphere exactly Surprisingly it seems to be quite accurate. While testing I lay the collar on paper over glass and then use a laser pointer to check focus, it ends up being quite good with a focus point that is near the same size and intensity of the original dot.

I’ve been trying to build one for my Convoy Z1 out of stainless steel hemispheres but I haven’t got it right yet

Stainless steel is not a good reflector and I think the perceived increase is because of the aperture.