Weapon Light

Some does like l-m-h with memory but also plenty of guys prefer high mode only(me also as I don’t like to cycle through modes).

In a term “what I can see at night?” 50mm aspherical Osram 4715AS 850 NM IR led driven at only 1.7A plus first gen NV or digital NV is equivalent to 450 –500 kcd 4,5A driven fet driver light.

But there are some new “Ruby” 810NM emitters that are even better than 4715AS emitter since they work on lower wavelength and thus giving better performance to Night vision device so 50mm aspheric with 810nm IR = 600-700kcd light.

In other words it is just crazy how IR leds are powerful in combination with night vision.

Ya, I am looking forward to an affordable NV headset (with a workable or right side ocular) to go with an even smaller (gun mounted) host light— as the technology is allowing for some great distance viewing. But I don’t want to buy a NV scope for EACH gun I want to use. I’d rather use the good glass (better rifle scopes) I’ve already invested in.

18 years ago we were shooting pigs to 250 yards (out of an elevated blind) using the old Type 1 military NV headsets (with the centered, single viewing lens— set out between our eyes). It was a bit hard to crush our cheeks to our gun stocks (to get over enough to get lined up with the scopes ocular lens), but we did— and we saw THROUGH our scopes JUST FINE. Many snipered pigs at 3AM with that set-up down in S. Texas. Just thought by now they’d cost $99 :stuck_out_tongue:

How about investing or making yourself nice addon unit? Addon is NV device that attaches to your dayscope so you can have both. Dayscope at day and night vision device at nigth. The most known example is Nitesite but there are far better units even with near eye display and you could even make your unit if you join to us at nightvisionforumuk :wink:

I HAVE looked that concept over, but didn’t know there was a group (like BLF) for it! I liked the idea IF I were hunting from a blind. But the second you have to hunt on the go (through the thicker stuff when stalking pigs at night) that little scree ON the gun doesn’t work.

BTW… For a few years now, I always envisioned something like “google gasses” where something “near eye” could display a target (wherever the gun is aimed) to the glasses- maybe using video glasses in some capacity? Perhaps this is something that exists! I’ll drop in soon! THANKS Luminarioum!

Can you point me to a discussion that specifically discusses near eye efforts? (great site— WAY more content than I expected!)

Uff that will be hard,

You got to join and there is library of topics out there. But of course main picture site over there was photobucket. So forum is crippled… Without pictures and with lot of info. But lot of info does not worth as one single good taken picture.

Here is one recently build: www.nightvisionforumuk.com - Login

Cool stuff for sure, and an up-and-coming site that will eventually get there :wink:

I have seen similar projects like your link— but that particular twist (using a reflector) is similar to the red dot sight (which started almost 40 years ago (before the internet). Turns out that few people know the history of the red dot site: but the MAIN thing I LOVE about that story is that the red dot started with sportsmen wanting something better— so they started tinkering with it BEFORE the military. Then years later, military and police started using the first sport models as they worked better than open sites… and were cheap enough.

Today or course, the military red dot stuff is top dollar (and technology)… BUT to me the lesson goes back to the fact it all started (and happened because of)… “a well armed militia of We The People” :slight_smile:

I’ll keep an eye on things over there, but the day I can get a smaller NV headset for my right eye (with a GOOD resolution and head set harness… for under $200) I’m buying it, and TWO UV LED lights (one for the headset and one for the gun- so I always have a view- looking AND shooting). We are getting close, but I can’t find anything quite there except to buy the old military stuff sold off used on eBay which I just don’t like the idea of because I ALWAYS get the dud when I try used— not going to chance it.

If anyone knows of something like this out there today? - let us know!

Which pre-colimator lenses are you using for UF-1503 and Brinyte B158b and how do you mount them? I have searched really hard to find any info on precolimators and mounting.

Why you would want to use UV lights for hunting? I see only one possible way of using them but it is to expensive to make full use of them properly.

Nightvisionforumuk is absolutely same as Budgetlightforum so if you are long time member of BLF and you did not learn to do your own modded stuff is same like being NVFUK member and not learn how to build your own nigth vision stuff.

I can make near eye build for less than 150$ and similar thing in stores costs over 1000$ same as I can make diy addon “nitesite type” NV device for less than 100$ and in stores it costs from 600-1000$ .
Night vision devices have never been cheaper and easier to made than today same like modded flashlight lot of bang for $.

!
[/quote]
Why you would want to use UV lights for hunting? I see only one possible way of using them but it is to expensive to make full use of them properly.
[/quote]

Uh… I went from “IR” to “UV” in only :beer: :beer: - I’ve always been lexdisic :disappointed:

I of course meant IR… and I clearly need to spend more time over there. Thanks again for the great tip!

Are there any decent Chinese produced night vision options that don’t require modding?

[/quote]

Uh… I went from “IR” to “UV” in only :beer: :beer: - I’ve always been lexdisic :disappointed:

I of course meant IR… and I clearly need to spend more time over there. Thanks again for the great tip!
[/quote]

NO…You are not wrong… UV lights may be used for blood tracking but thing that is expensive in that story is lumiol fluid which would need to be sprayed over potential field where we expect blood trail.It is only solution that makes blood glow and it looks like this:

Any other “flashlights for blood tracking” that makes blood glow is just marketing trick for poor hunters but this UV light + luminol is real thing.

I wound up going with KaiDomain’s KDlitker C8.2 Single mode

Where did you buy that torch mount?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004LMEBC6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518320813&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=elzetta+light+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41u4E0h-YnL&ref=plSrch

You WILL like that light with that red dot set-up. Good high drain batteries run it longer than most for what it does too.

Is that single mode a forward clicky with momentary ?

Reverse. No momentary on.

I just posted over in the topic area for the poll (<<<<< over there in the left column of this BLF page) in the Which LED for practical thrower? discussion

As I voted for the LEAST picked led (see results at bottom of the poll), the XHP50.2 (at 3%)… I thought I’d explain why (as it is relevant to using a KDLitker C8.2 on a gun for hunting).

For anyone using red dot ARs in the pig hunts in Texas— or shorter range varmint work, it may be of interest to you (or suitable for wrapping fish).

At any rate, I didn’t want to paste the whole thing here but it would fit this discussion well so read if you wish.

Cheers Ears!

Hell froze over… I FINALLY got my C8Fs TODAY! They are great looking kits!!!

But, of the C8 tail switch or “clicky” ends I have in my (growing) :open_mouth: pile of light parts… nothing fits.

The C8F tails on these NEW kits do not have clickers, but I need them for my Lexel FET tail driver boards I’m going to be using for these lights (for gun use of course). And Dale warned me the tail ends on these C8Fs would not hold this board— not deep enough. But I HAD to wait and see if my old C8 tails would (mauybe) fit and so now I’m searching for parts (again).

So back up the thread, I know some have tested a few Convoy (square thread) tails and I’m going to have to find a few (or email Sofirn and wait through Chinese New Year) :person_facepalming:

God I miss Radio Shack on a Saturday! (40 years ago) :stuck_out_tongue: