Weird SIPIK SK51 1AA/14500 latern/zoom flashlight thingy

Yes, we’re probably being tested…what’s the least amount of information that we can give and have them still buy the light :slight_smile:
I suspect if it’s cheap enough and different enough they could give out no information and someone would still buy it :slight_smile:

Funny.. because this might just solve our debate. So the arrow graphic is to let us know the tail cap unscrews? That's fantastic. What a feature.. haha.

Okay, my sarcasm with a splash of cynicism might be premature, but I Just don't get it. Maybe they're doing this on purpose to draw attention, haha

My guess is there is an Archimedes' srew-like mechanism between the battery tube and the outer shell - therefore the size is so big. With this kind of mechanism you need only a few turns to move the plastic tube-head combination in or out. If the TIR works like the identically looking ones of the LL headlights it's flood when closest to the LED, focused when moved a bit from the LED and virtually no useful beam when moved yet further from the LED, so in the last case it's pure lantern mode.

I'll order one and let you know.

Here's another example to help in understanding this wonderful mystery.

I think I actually prefer this one. At least it operates on 18650 (and 3 x AAA).

interesting

18650 = better

but really ugly imo lol

It has a cheap look, but then again these are supposed to generally be cheaper lights. I expect it with these type of lights

This one appears to have an aspheric lens rather than TIR although that last beam shot doesn’t really fit in with the rest. It looks more like a TIR.

$11.99 shipped at meritline (today)

http://www.meritline.com/cree-led-flash-light-xp-g-r5-convex-zoom---p-77141.aspx

Arent our power LED flashlights too bright for direct illumination in traffic situations anyway? The grey dark streets dont reflect our light back to the driver's eyes .. much of the light gets absorbed into the grey streets. So i mainly use bike lights in order to be seen by the traficantes and not directly for myself.

i am selfless. :D

Will think of using a diffuser tip next time, good idea! (i had ordered a 23mm diffuser from DD for my P1A, but the shipment never reached me.)

$9.99 today, couldn't resist

http://www.meritline.com/cree-led-flash-light-xp-g-r5-convex-zoom---p-77141.aspx?strcoup=&dealid=32395

You know we'll expect a full review! Tempting, but money is a little too tight at the moment.

-Garry

i hear that

I'll review, and then probably give it to a friend that isn't addicted to 500+ lumen

Pictures do look interesting:

if nothing else, it can live in my tent bag w/ a lithium primary in it...

Me too.

Same idea,

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Eveready-Flashlight-8215-Yellow-Sport-Gear-2-Way-with-Lanyard-4AA-1995&message=email_sent

Lennart

1.8A on AA, .8A on tired 14500 (noticeably but not incredibly brighter). used my cheap meter (batteries dead in decent one) but the tail cap spring is pretty thin so that's probably close to current when assembled.

emitter had major smudges that cleaned off, otherwise perfect condition.

H-L-Strobe

knurled ring at tail changes emitter position through internal mechanism.

donut hole at full flood, 270 degree range of travel on the knob, ~220 degrees is best focus, ~30 degrees removes donut.

fairly typical tir beam pattern but larger hotspot and less spill at focus (center section of this tir is quite large)

lens/head/bezel are screwed onto the plastic diffuser and are easy to remove (plastic diffuser is not but can be pushed back in).

sliding the head slightly forward (enough for a bit of spill through diffuser) will give fully focused emitter image but w/ less lux than w/ head fully seated and tail ring turned to best focus.

head fully extended makes a fair lantern. some light still goes through the lens...slightly more lux than the spill, w/ a donut hole. the tail adjustment does slightly affect the angle of spill in lantern mode.

tail switch and spring are retained w/ aluminum screw in cover.

emitter is on very small pcb and apparently retained by leads/solder which use through holes. not an easy swap if you wanted xm-l.

this is a decent light, but it is what it is, I won't bother trying to mod. It might be a little more impressive w/ a quality, fully charged 14500, but there's no way it will throw like a sk68

Campers that are not addicted to high power lights might like it quite a bit for versatility, but it isn't great at anything.

It will get an energizer lithium, a lot of glow tape, and then spend its remaining days in my 2-3 man tent bag (or until a fellow camper offers to buy it lol).

Make this light 18650 w/ xml and no tail adjustment (ie just slider that over extends), then add a clip and you've got a big winner around the campsite.

Thanks for the write-up!

Still waiting for mine... :tired:

Glad to see this one came back around. Thanks for the update.

@dthrckt: Thanks for the feedback. You don't sound very pleased with that light. With the Meritline discount it's only $8, though.