Weird SIPIK SK51 1AA/14500 latern/zoom flashlight thingy

@weiser

Any link for that another one (18650)? Thank you.

I'm pleased for the price, but it isn't very exciting either. I wish it was easier to stick an xm-l in there.

It does make a decent lantern, and you won't loose the diffuser...

I've only seen it on Taobao, which definitely isn't worth the hassle for such a cheap light.

Roger that. Thanks.

I got mine today from Meritline and the description is misleading. These do not have XP-Gs, they have XR-Es.

I am not all that impressed with the beam pattern, the flood beam has a dark spot in the center of the hot spot and the tight beam really isn't that great, especially when compared to a SK68 which overall puts out a better quality and much brighter beam.

The only pros to this light are the build quality, the focus mechanism is built solid and I am surprised at the lantern function. I thought it was going to be flimsy, but it is solid. The head won't budge unless you want it to and the light output of the lantern is actually usable.

I am disappointed, I really wanted to play with a XP-G.

Good to have you here, PDXoriginal.

Thanks.

Meritline is making me jump through hoops to resolve this... I sent them a pic of mine which clearly is a XR-E. Normally I wouldn't care over 10 bucks, but I waited almost 3 weeks to mess around with a XP-G to get let down.

That does look more like an XP-E (3 stripes) than XR-E... but you are right it's not the emitter that is advertised (XP-G 4 stripes).

Just checked mine.

Definitely XP-E (not XR-E or XP-G).

Funny I didn't notice when I spent 10 minutes trying to get the smudges off of it.

meh, should have xm-l anyway

I just checked and Meritline never mentions the actual emitter type... just the binning (R5)... but as far as I know R3/R4 is the max binning for XP-Es... so it is at least misleading.

Got mine from DX today.

Have not much to add to dthrckt's excellent description besides that the DX version has a rather nice forward clicky which is made as one single unit (like the ones Romisen uses in the RC-G2).

And yes, it's a XP-E. |(

when I was checking mine I took a minute to look at where the emitter is mounted. It might not be too hard to put an xm-l in there - it would be easy if I can get the whole center assembly out (could use a file on the mounting location) but even if I can't I'll use an end mill to remove the raised section that holds the little xpe pcb, which will make the mounting location wider/deeper.

I might even be able to screw it down.

More to come, but be patient :)

hm, Meritline is specifying this as an R5 emitter. ??

yeah, but they've specified xm-l and sent xr-e before so...

same think w/ the sk68...they show an r5 one now, might even say xp-g

I don't have a problem w/ that AS MUCH as I do w/ them continuing the false advertising after I point out the mistakes to their customer service

It did, looks like they fixed it since I complained, which they satisfactorily resolved.

This is what it originally looked like...

http://www.miniinthebox.com/ultrafire-cree-q5-led-camping-flashlight_p239627.html

Its a clever mechanism, there are several lights like that.
I would like to use it as a lantern (and sometimes as flashlight), but lantern doesnt make sense with 14500.
If there is light like this for 18650, I would buy it.

Now I use 501b with photo-film box as a diffuser as a lantern.
Gave one to my friend and he was thrilled, it was just something he needed,to have a light in his tent for whole night (and 18650 can even last 2 nights and more. )

Yes, it’s XP-E, but so cheap that I’m not worried about using it in lantern mode or carrying anywhere. I almost always go to mid-mode for lantern use.

I’m not sure I’d want/need a 18650 version unless it were equally cheap, as the weak spot of these I think is the plastic lantern tubing. The rear focus is not that useful, but to see the die clearly, just don’t extend the head out all of the way.