WELL ROUNDED AA/AAA LIGHT NEEDED! PLEASE HELP

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

HERE’S THE LIST OF REQUIREMENTS ON ORDER OF PRIORITY:

1. RUNS AA OR AA
  2. LOW POWER ON
  3. FLOODY, BUT AT LEAST A GOOD 50 FOOT THROW
  4. BATTERY SAVING AUTO-OFF (INCASE ITS ACCIDENTALLY TURNED ON)

Hello new member . Welcome .
I can’t think of any commercially available lights that have an auto shut-off except maybe one of the MagLites .

Another option might be to purchase a light with a momentary only switch .
Good luck with the search .

^^LOL

I didn’t recall any lights with an auto-shutoff

Well, “it’s a poor memory that only works backwards” and Google finds several

https://www.google.com/search?q=AA+flashlight+shutoff+timer

You might also consider the Olight S1, recently reviewed here at BLF. CR123 cells.

bUT WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS? wILL YOUR WORLD TURN BACKWARDS NOW? :disappointed:
Not everyone understands internet protocols- you didn’t when you started. Educate, don’t denigrate :wink:

So now that we’ve got that cleared up, first a warm welcome to BLF Mr.FosTTer :+1:

There are some who like or hate a particular switch type because it turns itself on too easily and we can be talking about the same exact light. It’s a preference thing but there should be a type you find that does OK for you. My EDC (every-day-carry) is a AAA size 3 mode twisty on my keychain. It has ‘memory mode’ so iy comes on where I last used it then cycles to the next mode in a L-M-H pattern after that. I run a 10440 LiIon cell for higher output but it does well on a AAA. The better lights like this top 100 lumens and most reach 50’ or more. The downside is that runtime is short on the highest setting, which is OK by me as I rarely need that for too long. Good AA format lights about double those figures in general so first you should decide what you need most; compactness or performance. If you’re not going to run a LiIon cell the AA is probably a better choice.

My tiny light is a Tank007 E09 and it’s rock solid reliable. It has never self-activated or come apart in my pocket and I am a very active person. I also have a nice single-mode AAA with a tail-switch and pocket clip: a BLF348. That one barely tolerates a LiIon getting hot quickly but does fine on a primary non-rechargeable cell. It’s best point is high CRI (color rendering index) which means colors tend to look more natural with it. My E09 has brighter light but colors aren’t as true when seen with it. I have or have had Fenix E05 (another 3 mode twisty going L-M-H) and a Thrunite Ti3 which is similar. There are several others which are highly regarded too. I don’t have any AA format lights I’d recommend but I’m sure you’ll get several suggestions shortly, and perhaps some questions regarding more details of what you’re seeking.

Somewhere out there is a light you’ll really like and we’ll help you find it. And if you’re not careful you will end up with several lights, each having something about it you just can’t live without even if you don’t always use it. This hobby kind of grows on you like that. In no time it can deplete your bank account but you’ll never need to be without light in the dark ever again :smiley:

Phil

well, I have about a hundred(10) AAA/10440 lights and they are my keychain/hoody pocket/nightpee lights
AA lights never seemed to be as handy/small/pocket-able

The one very practical size/power/utility light I have is one I’d prolly grab in the SHTF situation
The Skilhunt H15 uses AA/14500 batteries and has a very floody beam which easily exceeds your minimum throw requirement
It can be used handheld and has a clip for pocket/belt/strap attachment
and it is a headlamp for hands free use

I suggest this flashlight but it does not have auto off. I own one and it is nice.

JETBeam JET-I MK Cree XP-G2 480LM AA 14500 EDC LED Flashlight. Can be found at Banggood.

sawmaster you just blew my mind!

i should give more info (i never meant to submit my unfinished draft in the first place)

how ill use:
edc on hip or pocket/heavy use at work (searching above drop ceilings in government and commercial buildings) this is where my low power on is desired so i dont blind myself off something close by if its a cramped situation, but a high power and good throw setting is needed for long hallways and attics/ basements where im looking for a small device stuck in ductwork. really floody is helpful for big basements and attics, so the best of both worlds is the end game i guess

the reason i want aa or aaa is so that work can foot the bill. They look at me like i have lobsters coming out of my ears when i mention cr123

i mentioned auto off ignorantly because i was tired of destroying good cells and nearly causing fires when my current edc tailswitch accidently gets engaged

my 2 favorite edc torches that ive owned:
current: klarus xt2c “Home - KLARUS Lighting Technology Co.,Ltd
why? 3 power modes that are easy to change(tactile), enough/ more than enough flood and throw depending on setting, clip, slim profile(i dont like big heads)

retired/bedside: xnova x5 “https://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-X5.asp
why? owned and loved since 2004. has never let me down, twist for constant/momentary press limites accidental on, indestructable, slim profile.

any bigger than the klarus xt2c (2 cr123) and id be dissapointed

hope ive painted a clearer picture

ps

THINKING OF YOU RACCOON CITY :smiley:

THANKS CHINOOKER AND 264

Welcome to BLF

Astrolux S3 (14500) in mugle mode?
On the Road i3 (16340)
One of those mini soda can 4*AA lights (crelant, thorfire etc)

Just learn the modes and keep it low
A Bistro firmware is ideal, short press brighter, longer press dimmer. But li ion so not AA or AAA.

And well get yourself one of the copper Old Lumens AAA Nichia flashlights. High CRI, beautiful to begin with but now with Old Lumens ltd edition engraving.
You will want one of those no matter what.

Zebralight SC5w. Brightest 1xAA on the market (500 lumens). Great mode selection, programmable, excellent UI. Small light, that can be pocketed. If you want a bit smaller (but give up some brightness unless you run it on a 14500), the Zebralight SC52w.

Go for an “AA” size, or perhaps a multi-ce;ll “AAA”. A single “AAA” doesn’t make for a good worklight without an extra cell or two in your pocket, just not enough ‘juice’. And since you’re doing pocket carry, have a good look at the clip. Some “deep carry” types won’t handle thick seams like blue jeans and Carhartt’s have. If your thumb and forefinger are nimble, you can work a “twisty” switch with one hand but that takes practice. I find side-switches self-activate too much with pants pocket carry and climbing/walking into obstructions but they might do OK in a shirt pocket.

My worklight is an Manker/BLF A6 but that’s a lot bigger and needs an 18650 LiIon. It can light a whole room or drop down to a glow, and it’s good for a few hours runtime on the middle modes (it has 7 levels). It’s good for the house repairs I do including inspecting the far end of an attic or crawlspace. It stays in the truck with a spare cell unless I need it but pockets OK when I do use it. Too big to always have it there at work since I need the pocket space for various tools. I’ll be looking for an “AA/14500” worklight one of these days when funds allow myself.

Phil

Hello!

Cheers ^:)

Astrolux A01 is a fine AAA back up for your situation. The JetBeam MK is good for an AA, or the Eagle Eye X2R for a USB rechargeable 18650 light under $20…

Sams club has a ten pack of Duracell AA/AAA NiMh for $20 that seems worth it…

Let us know what you settle on, and there are a bunch of good lights on here, so keep looking!

Jetbeam Jet-1 MK is not a pure flodder. Has mode memory but goes low, mid, high. Twisty with no switch. No strobe or S.O.S. Welcome to BLF.

A very nice AAA flashlight is the Lumintop Tool AAA black aluminum version. Always starts on mid mode. Mid, low, high is mode order. No strobe or blinkies. I own a few and they are great little flashlights. You can find the lumintop at this link at great price. They are more exspensive versions on this list so be sure to look for the lowest priced black aluminum version.

+1

2 differing suggestions.

AAA+ (2 x AAA…penlight) - for the money, Thorfire PF04, at $20. I’ve got one and really like it for the price. Got a true moonlight…210 lumens at top end. It lights up pretty well at just over 50 ft…but it’s a bit floody (maaaaybe too diffused…but not sure what your need would be) at that distance.

AA - was “going” to recommend the Nitecore EA11. I love the UI, decent balance of flood to throw IMHO. The reason I said “going to” is because I tested it with an Eneloop (standard, not pro) and it really wasn’t any more impressive than the Thorfire PF04 or my SK-68 clone on AA NiMh. I had forgotten this because I always run it 14500’s and that really kicks up the output while still keeping a couple of very usable low modes. So, I might recommend the Manker E11 for the money (I don’t think this has been recommended yet). I don’t have one yet, but based on reviews, seems pretty strong. I think it runs around 400 lumens on AA (may be specific to NiMh though) and double that if you get frisky with a 14500. Can get in NW or CW from Amazon US right now for $29.95.

Random backup light. Nitecore TIP. Just got one recently and I am quite impressed with the output. On turbo, it outdoes my SK-68 clone running on a 14500. USB rechargeable, battery status indicator, simple UI, lightweight. It all flood….not a lot of throw, but it will light up my whole back yard on turbo fairly nicely.

An other single AA flashlight is the Thrunite T10 (Aluminum) XP-G2 169 Lumens. It is sold at: http://www.illumn.com/special-deals/thrunite-t10-aluminum-xp-g2-169-lumens-1-x-aa.html
What makes it special is it is both a twisty and a switch controlled flashlight. Modes are low, medium, high with mode memory. It comes with an light cone and attachable pocket clip. It is the most exspensive flashlight that I have recommended thus far at $19.16. I own two.

To further complicate the issue consider the Jetbeam JET- µ. It is identical to the Jet-1 MK but uses 1 single AAA battery. Alkaline or Eneloop style battery only. Manufacture link: http://www.jetbeamlight.com/ShowProducts.asp?ID=98

Banggood link: JETbeam JET- μ XP-G2 135LM AAA Mini LED Taschenlampe Sale - Banggood Deutschland sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice
Andrew and Amanda link: Jetbeam JET-Mu (JET- µ) flashlight CREE XP-G2 LED -135 Lumens -uses AAA battery

And yes I own this flashlight and have shopped at both stores. :slight_smile: