What 14500/AA light for the car?

Thanks. Anything with a bit higher spec/quality for the budget?

I’d say the SK68 is ideal, although I’d opt for the 1 mode ones.

The best thing about the SK68 is it’s beam, using the aspheric lens the flood beam is a wonderful even light with no hot spots. If you are working on a car in the dark, such as changing a wheel, under the bonnet or even under the car, such light and beam profile is far superior to most reflector lights that have a bright hot spot.

The SK68’s are generally pretty well made, compact and will run on AA or 14500’s.

I’m sure there are other lights out there costing more money which are better made (as in machining and anodising) and have more advanced UI’s, regulation and higher output. But as a backup light for this kind of use I’m not sure you’ll really get any better for your money.

I go for 3 mode because you have the option to get strong illumination, or very long runtime, or strobe/beacon signalling light in emergency.

I have a couple of good ones that pulls around 100mA at low, literally giving it 20+ hrs on one primary alone. THIS is exactly what you may need from a backup light.

Add a couple of neodymium magnets on the clip and the thing sticks anywhere on the car body. Can be used to illuminate your work or as blinking signal during breakdown.

Ok, I’m convinced then. To satisfy the inner geek though, I’d like to buy two different lights. So what other than the SK68 is worth a look?

Thanks.

(I also need to find another “use” for a light in order to buy another!)

Guess it depends, there are a lot of nice lights about.

The Xeno E03 is a well like AA/14500 light, you can get them for ~£22 on ebay. Compact and quite floody and a huge increase in output on 14500’s.

I’m also quite a MagLite fan, so the new MagLite Pro and Pro+ would get my vote, although a little hard to get in the UK and expensive if you buy from the wrong place (look on ebay.com and import from the USA if interested).

I also like the look of the MagLite XL200, although for a backup light you’d want to lock it out as it has a small drain due to the electronic switch (oh and it’s AAA not AA).

What do you think about this one? (20:money_mouth_face:

http://dx.com/p/bronte-ra04-xpg-r5-led-90lm-3-mode-memory-white-light-flashlight-w-key-ring-1-x-aa-14500-114596?Utm_rid=43033281&Utm_source=affiliate

Reviewed here Review: Bronte RA-04

It is very robust, and does not “force” the 14500 under high load on high mode as others. It only draws about 600mA on high to a fully charged 14500 and gives +200 lumens

Very conservative also with AA, drawing only 660mA on high. More than 2 and a half hours with a 2500mAh battery

3 modes (L, M, H ) No strobes, no SOS

Something with a good diffuser is nice. I got the wand for my Xeno e03, and it was very helpful when having a couple pairs of eyes rooting around a trunk looking for missing tools. If you get a light that's the same thickness (21.5 mm), you could buy the wand separately. While the e03 has lots of battery life with an AA, I wish it has a much lower low. The L3 has a great low, but is slimmer, so it's not compatible with the e03 wand.

Buy 2 of the proven Uniquefire AA S1 and you have got one for your wifes car too for the budget.
Bright, nice tint, floody, clip and nice on AA too.

I do like the look of that actually. 3 modes would be handy though.

The Xeno e03 mentioned above seems to fit the bill. But the price is a bit higher.

Balder SE-1: runs well on both AA and 14500, rugged construction.

I have
this
light in my car with a nimh battery.

it has a magnet at the bottom, so can be used as attached to any metal surface on your car.

I`ve got it too and can recommend it. Very versatile as mensioned by fyesilova.

eagletac d25a clicky

I’d actually consider staying away from 14500, or any Li-ion, in the car depending on your climate. Heat plus full charge equals permanent loss of capacity. At a minimum you’ll need to look at where you store it (lower where it’s cooler and out of direct light) and checking it after the summer to see if it’s got enough runtime left in it or needs to be swapped out for a new cell. If you can get by with it being less than fully charged it will hold up even better.

Have you thought about a headlamp? They are great for car emergencies when you want your hands free to do something.

The light on DX linked to by fyesilova looks handy actually, whats the beam pattern like? I want something that’s quite floody.

baterija, 14500 wasn’t essential, just thought it would help in the quest for brightness. Climate here isn’t too much of an issue. I am based between north and south England so it never really goes outside of the –5 to 25/30 degree range.
A head torch is a good idea though, sounds like it’s the other “light requirement” that I’ve been after :wink:

I sometimes do some work in a corner of a badly lit workshop and use this setup.

Agree Pulsar13 but by chance you gotta’ link for any reliable ones (ebay, china links etc)? TIA

Unfortunate but no, the sellers I used to buy from are no longer selling these (the good ones). I was going to try one from a different seller, but I have no need for one (more) yet. The pics and description looks good, but no guarantee of course. You can try your luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330763502763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5039wt_1142

Between my luck the last time I went to Vegas and often inaccurate pic’s on ebay, I think I’ll take a pass.

Was jus hoping I could get a solid referral… nonetheless, appreciative of your prompt response and honesty.

Thanx again!

The top is enough to cause slightly faster degradation than sitting on a shelf at room temp. Parked in the sun with the windows up you can really bake that thing though. Easing the 14500 requirement does let people potentially come up with some other options.

Glad to be an enabler :wink: