what are good personal marker lights?

I’ve a nitecore NU05 which is okay. I bought it thinking to use it as backup headlamp, but headband is poor for headlamp use (the elastic is good but it just goes behind the plastic clip, the fit isn’t tight and it kind of flops around). Also it reflects off my glasses when I’m wearing it.

That said, as a warning light, it works well on the back of my main headlamp (ZL H600). Bright and dim red blink options.

You could look at glowtoob AAA offerings, the flashing mode on mine (from ?2015) is a strobe so far too fast. Mounting it is slightly annoying too- it has a lanyard point but in reality, it flops about if you’re moving and becomes annoying.

Bit out of the box, but does sofirn sell diffusers for the SC02? Andruil has a nice selection of blinky modes- bit complicated to access them for lay users though.

Forgot to ask, what’s your budget?

1 Thank

What about a bike-light? Gf got one that’s about the size of a deck of cards, little bigger, but rounded, and has a nice stiff clip to be able to clip onto a belt, etc.

5 red LEDs aimed backwards (might be 1 on either side for 7 total, forgot), buncha blinky patterns as well as solid-on.

1 Thank

You bet my marker is a D1 with a marshalling wand attachment in bike flasher mode! I’m not intending on bringing flashaholism unto my family though.

I’m planning on buying at least 8 so ideally these would be <30€ a pop.

Got a link? I’m not against the idea but the clip needs to be nice, I’d prefer a handheld radio style, spring loaded as opposed to fixed.

Does it run well on NiMH? They look nice, sturdy and pretty cheap!

A hunter thats intoxicated should be met with 10 years prison time. Like the saying goes, you cant fix stupid.

The same rule should apply to DUI drivers.

1 Thank

Ooops…
I made an error

Here is what I dod… Scroll to about post #97

Link

1 Thank

I actually goggled though amazon but didn’t find the model in question. I got mine and hers from… Bike Planet?.. way way back in the day.

Understand this was way way back when we had a cœlacanth in our koi pond. Not sure BP is even still in business anymore (retail, in Syosett).

1 Thank

I haven’t tried them yet, they’re in the post; olight gober? Only 4 lumen, fixed battery - I’m sure I could replace it via ali express.

I bought them mainly to clip to my dog. They look as though the flash is 180 degrees, which is what sold me. I think one of these on his harness should do - he’s usually off lead while I’m riding an euc. It’s only during winter when it gets dark early. It supposedly has a mode memory. I bought the kit, which is two lights and one clip, so I ordered an extra clip with the kit. It was a Halloween sale so I scored a small aaa light as well.

1 Thank

Very cool! I might decide to spin a custom board and 3D print some housings but that’s a project I have no bandwidth for at the moment :confused:

That’s an ocean away from me I’m afraid :smiley:

Adding this one to the list. I’m inclined to go with the glo-toobs, they’re also 360° viewable and the tubular shape would make it easy to design custom mounts e.g. for MOLLE or doggy collars.

I bought four of these and use them for cycling and as marker lights, the run time is near 1 1/2 hours on flashing mode. When the first one runs down I start up a second and so on.

taillight

1 Thank

Looks like the charging port is micro B, is that the case?

yeah :frowning_face:
I admit if I didn’t have these already I would go for the Olight O-clip

or the O-light Gober

1 Thank

Admit I’ve not run mine for a long time, has always been on NiMh though.

Some years ago, I bought an EDCGear branded copy, that runs on AA. I guess glotube slapped a lawsuit on them as the clones disappeared pretty quickly.

Another consideration is whether you want solid or flashing modes, and what runtime.

Adventure Light Guardian might be a contender for a mini-light, assuming you’re not buying a bunch of the same. I’ve had my eye on these for a while for use as a safety marker light on the back of a headlamp strap…

Runs on 2x2032, advertised as 100hr on solid, 250hr on blinking. Probably not very bright, but seems to be popular with kayakers etc.

1 Thank

Niteize makes a number of marker lights

1 Thank

These don’t seem to be available locally but they do look pretty good.

I’m afraid nobody would be replacing button or coin cells once they died and if they did, primaries are too wasteful for me to gift things that require them.

Understood, fair enough.

Quick search on AliExpress lead me to these mini lanterns

Seem to be USB C rechargeable, advertise as being aluminium and poly carbonate, I’d not be surprised if they were actually all plastic.

1 Thank

Wellp, you could get a Lizard Light, then! :joy::lizard:

1 Thank

Not gonna lie, I’ve gotten a 3-pack off aliexpress for my car some time ago and at one point one has made it onto my backpack. It got me laughed at.

Wellp, next time camping, when you get rescued and the others have to start eating each other to survive, we’ll all see who’s laffing, won’t we?

1 Thank

I’ll probably try this and the AAA glo-toob and see what’s best.

I’ll laugh even when being eaten.