What are some widely recommended Headlights?

Thrunite TH20 if you want AA compatibility. I love mine. It has my favourite UI. It’s also quite floody and is available in NW, which I prefer in a headlamp.

The more I read the more it sounds like zebralight is a top pick if you’re not too concerned about cost. I don’t actually have one myself.

That’s my favorite out of a shoe box full of choices

For an AA headlamp, I recommend the Zebralight series, H52w, H53w H53c, H53fc.

For 18650, I recommend the Zebralight h600 series, Armytek Wizard, and Skillhunt H03.

Exact model really depends on your preference of tint, CRI and beam pattern.

In the right angled form factor, I own a Nitecore HC30, Skilhunt H15, Xtar H1, H2 and a Fenix HL10-2016. I also own a Maratac TPF in AAA, but it’s not really a headlamp nor does it come with a headstrap.

Dedicated headlamps, I own an older Ray-o-vac 1xAA 1W Luxeon w/ blue and red LEDs and a flipable diffuser, a Petzl Zipka (3xAAA, White/Red LED, retractable headband), Nitecore NU30 and NU20.

Of the right angled lights the H15 is best for in-close work because of it’s TIR lens. My knock on the H15 is that I bought it because I was hoping that the 1xAA/14500 form factor would be smaller/lighter than an 18650 light, but that turns out to be not true. Didn’t make sense to give up battery life/lumen output and NOT lose any weight in the process, so it’s now in my car sans battery. At least it runs on easy to find AA. I’ve considered for some time the Skilhunt H03F which has a flip away TIR diffuser, giving the option of flood or spot, but I have concerns about the strength of the diffuser. Seems an easy piece to break. I’ve owned the Nitecore HC30 the longest and it’s my favorite. It has a very throwy beam pattern, which can come in handy, but for the most part, I need something more floody, so I’ve inserted a piece of diffuser film between the bezel and lens. When not in use, I store it in the battery compartment. Do that with the H1 and H2 as well. The Fenix is super light, very compact and quite convenient to carry around in a pocket, etc… It has a rotating lens which they say gives you the option of spot or flood, but honestly in that size of light, you’re not going to really get much of a spot, so the options are “slightly not as floody” to floody. :smiley: If I’m honest, I do like it but it’s really not going to throw light out any serious distance. I hear some use it for running. I think it’s light enough to pull that off.

Regarding the Xtars, the issue there is, they are no longer available. I happen to have one of each NIB, but that’s another discussion. Also, some don’t like the fact that you have a long press to turn them off. Beams tend to be more throwy. Of the two, I would say that I prefer the H2 because it is smaller and lighter.

The Ray-o-vac and Petzl are past their prime, but they are interesting designs. As for the NU series, well, each has it’s pros and cons. The NU20 has replaced the Fenix HL10-2016 as my EDC headlamp. The reason is it’s darn small, very light, rechargeable, brighter, has longer run time and I like the battery check feature. The beam has a bright hotspot, but also nice usable spill. I also like the thick, comfortable headstrap. The Fenix strap is less than half the width. I wouldn’t call it uncomfortable, but the Nitecore is more comfortable IMO. I think the NU20 would also make a nice running light as it is very light weight. As for the NU30, I think it’s more of a campers/walkers/allarounders light. It has more throw than the NU20 and is brighter, also comes with red LEDs AND a pair of High CRI LEDs that provide very nice flood and great color rendition for upclose work.

I’m also waiting for Manker to release their big brother to the E02 1xAAA right angled light (of which I’ve ordered one with Nichia and one with Cree, well just because). Manker has shown the ability to produce quality, bright lights in small form factors. Looking forward to see what they can do with this new one.

Oh, I was looking at the CooYoo Fermion/MecArmy FM11 keychain/right angled headlights, but even on flash sale they seems a bit too expensive to justify, considering their short run times and limited light output. Still, wow factor would have been fun. except I’d only be wowing myself. :wink:

I’m worse than you then… I DO NOT like or use an offset at all as a headlight. :person_facepalming: … :slight_smile:

Skillhunts are great too…. as an Angle Head Flashlight. :smiley:

If you have knowledge of the lights on the list, please add info such as battery type, built in charging, infinite ramping levels, T or L shaped, price, star and lens size, color temps available, etc…

Or just post that info and I will integrate it into the list.

I only have the Boruit RJ02 so that’s all I know about.

Edit, new list is here.

Oh, good, so I’m not the only one.

First a tint-snob, now an angle-snob. :smiley:

Yeah, they can have their advantages. Like tailstanding but throwing the light to the side, in a shirt-pocket, etc.

Looks like I’m going to have to pull my recommendation of the Nitecore NU30, at least for the time being. Pulled it out to do some work in the garage and the detents won’t keep the light at the angle I need. Upon inspection, it appears that one of the arms that presses against the detents in the body (there are two arms on the bracket part of the light) has broken. With only one arm to apply pressure, there is insufficient force to overcome gravity so the light points down uselessly at my feet. Bummer, I was really liking this one.

Edit: Actually the “arms” press against the part of the main body which forms the hinge. There are grooves in that area which serve as the detents. As I had mentioned earlier, the arms are part of the bracket or back plate, where the strap connects to the light. The hinge is what allows the body to pivot 60 degrees down from horizontal and the detents are what lock the body at the desired angle, under normal operating conditions.

Are you talking bout the H03Reflector or the TIR version. I don’t notice it with the tir version but with the reflector it kinda bugs me to but I never liked the reflector anyway.

Ha the first one, I kinda predicted this would happen when tilting the light a lot. It just feels crappy and too hard/stiff to tilt it. Sorry for you man, that sucks specially if you liked the light. You feel like trying to test their warranty?

Is it easy to swap a tir lens into it? Maybe you could measure the diameter and height of the reflector.

I definitely prefer a headlight that takes the traditional 20mm reflector so I can swap it out to a wide angle lens.

I had both but sold the reflector one. And yes you can swap em out but the TIR version is cheaper anyway so better get the one you like in the first place.

Stick a piece of dc -fix on it and ….instant smooth flood //

too simple

Doesn’t that noticably reduce output?

Too much light to the sides reduces output in front.

I keep an assortment of 20mm tir lenses available as they are super cheap and easy to tailor the beam width.

I don’t think I would buy a light that didn’t use a 20mm reflector or lens.

My recommendations :

- SkilHunt H03 (neutral white for me)

- (the real) Petzl headlamps (3xAAA), I like ’em, no huge output but nice runtimes. From ~20 bucks (Tikkina) to ~40 bucks (Tactikka+).

• cheap generic COB headlight (3xAAA, search “Mini COB LED Headlamp” on ebay, this is the model I have, I don’t know for other models) : very floody, great for close range work, not sure about water resistance :stuck_out_tongue:

Avoid :

- Energizer Vision models. Cheap but the beam spills towards your eyes :person_facepalming:

Yep, I went crazy on Amazon→uxcell and got everything from 5° to 90°, and pretty much everything in-between.

:smiley:

That’s the same exact headband that comes with the Boruit…

Which is still my recommendation for cheap-but-good. And takes interchangeable 20mm TIR lenses.

And the thick rubber bands hold the light in-place at whatever angle you want, with no arms or brackets or grooves or nuttin’ to go breaking on you.

Actually, the RJ02 has the across-the-top band as well, not just the loop. Sorry. Same psychedelic-squares pattern, though.

Lightbringer, can you check your history and post a link on the 20mm TIR lenses at Amazon? I did a search earlier and came up with a list of “currently unavailable” results. Trying to steer toward uxcell got me “no results”.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=20mm+collimator+lens

A whole bunch comes up. “Collimator” and “collimating” are the magic words. “20mm” narrows it down.

Yeah, took me forever to figure out that way back when, too.

Нi. Why are we have no BLF edition headlamp? Not enough interest? Or just did not try?