What are the requirements for your EDC?

I just received a custom made light, it is my finest. I will posting an in depth review here in the near future. Just curious what flashaholics want/need in an EDC:

(or more)

thanks,

patrick

Small size
Massive runtime
more then 1000 lumens
greater throw then a C8
better flood then a Convoy S2
unchipable anodizing
Zero self drain and unaffected by heat batteries
buck/boost driver for constant brightness at all times

small and light
100-200 lumens on high is enough (more is better)
moonlight mode
flood beam
neutral white tint
max size of battery is AA/14500
pocket clip
driver has good regulation and efficiency
magnet on the tail

well played…. :wink:

for me, AA, 14500 with a reasonable run time (at least 4 hours before moonlight) 200 Lumens+ is nice…

… Many of those are not compatible with each other.

to edit/add my preferences to your list:
high pwm or none at all
wide battery compatibility (the more the merrier)
high cri. I have other flashlights for cool tints/ low cri.
HIDDEN/ NO STROBE!!!
well spaced modes.

I am probably missing a few, but I have a feeling other people will mention them.

1. Pocketability . I need a light that will clip into my front left pocket .I prefer a deep carry clip and a slim profile .

2. Beam Profile . I mainly use lights for close up work , so the floodier , the better .

3. Tint and color rendition . I really enjoy seeing colors as they really are and I find warmer tints are more comforting , especially if I am tailstanding the light for indirect use .

4 . Simplicity . Three modes is plenty .

5. Durability . My EDC will be dropped , knocked around and sometimes submerged in water .

Right now , my EDC is a Convoy S2 XML T5 5C with a deep carry clip . It has all of the features I need .

EDC requirements

1. Small
2. Light
3. Powerful
4. Good Clip
5. Multiple Modes

Taking my EDC on the road adds these requirements:

6. Moonlight Mode
7. Common Batteries like AA or AA extender

The Jetbeam RRT01 is nearly my perfect EDC, but the bar was raised with the Armytek Tiara. Now I want the RRT01 with the TIR lens of the Tiara, the 1000 lumen output of the Tiara, but a non-electronic clickie, shallow steel bezel for wider spill, a type of lanyard loop that allows the lanyard to be attached from the side for more stable tail standing. Keep the dimensions small, but weight isn't a big deal. I'd probably stick with the 18350, but an optional 18650 tube or extender would be nice.

very astute, the OP did ask what i want in an EDC, not whats possible :bigsmile:

A Eagletac TX25C2 with a buck/boost driver for constant brightness and the button functionality of the DrJones driver.

I think my perfect 18650 edc would be a eagletac D25A clicky in an 18650 size, with a custom driver and a nichia. It fits almost all the requirements here.

small size
decent runtime
magnetic tailcap (optional)
easy to find battery (AA)
good spill and throw (maybe TIR optic)
multiple modes :wink:

appreciate all the replies so far. To each his own, it appears.

would a ‘programmable UI’ be a good option on an EDC, or not?

Small enough to fit in my pockets (some small 18650 lights fit)
150-200 lumens is enough
Moonlight mode + possibility to start on moonlight mode if I want to (that’s say, no mode memory)
Warm or neutral tint, if possible high CRI
Tough and reliable
Resistant to oily, dirty or wet hands :smiley:

Regarding batteries, I used to be a AA guy, but now I favor the fatter/smaller CR123A size. Will have some Eagletac D25A Ti to sell!

A magnet is a plus, but haven’t found the perfec EDC yet.

Olight I2S, if they ever manufacture one.

Edit; should give first mood 20Lumens/16 hours runtime to beat
an old 3D Maglite.

- Driver has good regulation/efficiency and more than 100 L at least

- Accept Li/NiMh

- 3 modes and ramp without strobo

- Throw and spill, both

• Good looking

I don’t know about programmable. But a well thought out UI is a must.

e.g.

Any good light, but especially an EDC should allow you to easily and quickly turn it on in either it’s highest or lowest mode. And it should be obvious to the user which you are selecting.

If it can’t do this, it should at the very least allow you to some how pre select if it will turn on in High or Low, as flicking through all the modes is just chore if you have to do it each and every time you use the light.

What amazes me is, so few torch makers seem to understand this simple concept.

If the light has strobe, it should be completely hidden, but instantly accessible. If it can’t do this, there is no point having it as an option. Again another blatantly obvious attribute missed by so many torch makers.

No visible PWM as it makes the light pretty useless.

Good tint, whether NW, CW or even WW. But there is no excuse for poor colour casts, yes Olight I’m talking about you.

The UI should also consider what people want to use a torch for.

i.e.

Use 1 - Outside

Max output. Obviously plenty of heat will be produced on high amp draws. Driver should auto step down or gradual step down to allow the user to have the highest output possible without frying the torch. Turning the light on/off should auto reset this if the user desires.

Use 2 - extended high output or indoor

If you plan to use the light for longer, or are indoors you may not need absolute max output, but you may still want high output. So many Mid output settings totally miss this requirement.

Use 3 - close up work.

Basically you want as much light as possible without blinding yourself. Such as reading, looking at something in your hand or on a table. Map reading for example. You don’t want eye strain, so you need sufficient output to do things, but you don’t want massive glare either.

Use 4 - very low output.

Moonlight/firefly mode for when you really don’t need much light.

A deep carry pocket clip is a must too really. As is the ability to tailstand.

Olight ST-25 nailed most of my EDC requirements though I’d prefer NW tint for outdoors use (I may switch it at some point), and a magnetic tailcap would be a nice option:

Compact enough to fit coat pocket
Moonlight mode
Tailstands
Strobe slightly hidden
Bright enough to cut through rain
Good run times
Well spaced but limited selection of modes
Simple, discreet design

• Small size - my EDC needs to be small enough for me to carry in my pants pocket without noticing it when it’s in there.
  • Bright - I like my EDC to be very bright. Awesome if it can get over 800 lumens, even if just for very brief use at turbo.
  • Runtime is secondary - I don’t need my EDC to run for an extended period at max power. However, it should have lower modes available for when longer runtime is needed. Bonus points if it has a moonlight mode. I also prefer an interface that allows shortcuts to min and max without cycling modes.
  • Runs on li-ion rechargeables. 16340 or 14500 are great for EDC. 18350 in a light like the RRT-01 is also good. Most 18650 lights are too big, though there are a few exceptionally small 18650 lights that are sufficient.
  • Short range flood is more useful to me than long throw. However, I also like zoomable lights for EDC with emphasis on flood, but with the capability to throw somewhat when needed.
  • Has to look decent. I don’t want a light that looks so awful I’d be embarrassed to pull it out of my pocket. Must also have a slim design without large crenelations that would tear up my pocket or feel uncomfortable in it. I do not consider the Sipik 68 acceptable for EDC, because of this.
  • Ergonomics. Knurling or rubber grip or something to make it easier to hold. Also something to make the switch easier to find. A deeply recessed sideswitch like on the Spark SF3 or Zebralight SC80 works very well.
  • Anti-roll design with ability to tailstand. It’s nice if the light doesn’t roll around when left on a bedside table. Also it should tailstand. I don’t need a clip or a lanyard ring though. I prefer to carry my EDC loose in my pocket.