What are the requirements for your EDC?

Your list is rather practical, mine would be similar, main differences being i want decent throw (so XP-G2 or XP-E2), clicky because twistys drain the battery slowly when the ano starts wearing, and i wouldn’t need the carry clip unless i can put it on my keys, and i don’t care about the temperature, but high CRI is a bonus.

1 - Small - Easy to carry which implies an easy to carry a spare battery or 2 or 4 (AA or CR123)
2 - Neutral white
3 - A high of 100-130 lumens which allows for good run time on high
4 - A setting somewhere between sub-lumen - 4 lumen (or both)
5 - A general use setting (15-30 lumens)
6 - Momentary capability
7 - Tail stand
8 - Resets to low after being shut off
9 - Says "D25A" and "EagTac" on the barrel

My EDC :

1 Bright enough, at-least 200 lumens
2 Runtime
3 Good CRI index
4 Small enough to be on my keyring
5 Flood light for walking safely in the dark or doing close-up works
I use Trustfire mini01 with XM-L2 4D and 16340

For backup light :

1 More runtime, so using 18650
2 Side-clip is a must
3 Not too big and heavy
4 Good CRI index
5 Flood light for walking safely in the dark or doing close-up works
6 Crenelated bezel in-case of emergency
7 Tactical tailcap for fast easy use
I use Ultrafire 502b with 1amp dropins for long runtime.

I just” fell ” for the Banggood Sunwayman V11R group buy.

1. Modes:firefly to around 500lm magnetic control ring,you choose.
  1. Memory:Set the mcr to your level,switch off at tail-last mode memory

Turn mcr to standby,tail switch on or off,starts on min(zero)

1. Sideswitch:Magnetic sontrol ring under your thumb.
  1. Battery choice:V11R is 16340 or CR123 or,with extender,AA/14500.Jetbeam RRT01 can take 18350’s as well :wink: .
  1. Form factor:Typically 80 by20mm
  1. Runtime/Efficiency:No PWM,if you set it to 250lumens,it draws the constant current it needs for 250 lm
  1. Tailstands/Waterproof IPX don’t know but guarenteed/Ah yes,guarenteed :wink:
  1. Flood/Throw:XM-L2 in quality OP 20mm reflector,both in good measure 8)
  1. Colour temp/CRI:These BG SWM V11R’s are in CW or NW,CRI is Cree :party:
  1. Well,it’s ticked all my boxes and an hour and a half ago,Banggood sold me one for $45 (BGV11R)no spaces :bigsmile:

Is there a link to info about that group buy?

Thanks

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/27019?

fast on the draw :wink: I think the 20 are gone :_(

1. Small, robust and reliable.

2. Really low low and decent high, along with reasonable medium.

3. Extremely long runtimes.

4. Easy access to batteries.

5. Fun and cool. (Actually I changed my mind, this is really 1.5)

6. Warm or neutral tint.

I always carry a Nitecore Sense AA on my keys. 60 hours on low.

I often carry a Olight S20-L2 in my jacket. 600 hours on moonlight.

I sometimes carry a Maxpedition Larkspur, my overnight trip go-bag, with spare batteries and diffuser for the S20-L2. Also perhaps some other flashlight like a Zebralight, Convoy S7 or a C8.

I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one who likes the Convoy S7. I upgraded mine, and now it’s one of my favorite lights:

Give it a Nichia 219B and diffuser film and a clip, and it turns into a pretty awesome light.

Convoy S7 is really nice. Mine is a T4-7A 6x7135. A bit heavy and bulky for normal EDC, but very robust and good as a lantern/area light with a good diffuser. The warm tint on mine makes it perfect for lighting in the garden at nights. Almost like kerosene pressure lamp.

The Texas Poker, by Photon Fanatic. Built from scratch out of a solid 1” dia piece of surgical grade Titanium, Copper in the head with exposed fins to help heat dispersal. De-domed XP-G2 for throw, deep 16mm Dereelight reflector for a good mix of spill and throw. Efest IMR10440 cell with nice run times on lower modes, decent (or at least surprising) run time on Turbo at 3A. Twisty interface for easy use and no-drain when not in use. 4 levels…7, 48, 242, and 452 OTF. The fresh cell can give 552 OTF at start up. :slight_smile: Admittedly, it started out with a high of 135 lumens. But recently events transpired that allowed me to build an FET driver for it, the BLFTiny10 with a small FET.

Titanium ring in the tail attaches to a titanium gate clip on a titanium curb chain. Custom made to my design, been wearing it for a year. Only take it off to bathe.

Here are my 3 primary EDC lights, 2 being new recruits…The Sinner Cypreus in 18350, The Sinner Ti in 18650, and The Texas Poker, with it’s 10440 cell.

2 are Titanium, one solid copper. I’m never without light, never. Also having 2 even smaller lights on my keychain. Both MBI HF’s, one in Ti with an XM-L2, one in copper with an Nichia 219. A spare 10440 is on my keychain that will run the TexasPoker or either MBI light, and I usually have a Delrin battery locker with yet another 10440 in my change pocket.

Many’s the time that a light can be used, surprisingly often in broad daylight. Make do if you don’t have a light, use one if it’s there. The one around the neck is always there and gets used regularly. Virtually daily.

Are any of these lights ideal? Well, is there really such a thing? When you figure out what makes one ideal, something else will usually displace that thought.

Very impressive, how do you keep the copper from tarnishing?

At first I coated it with Protecta Clear, then tried Rennaisance Wax, and finally just keep it wiped down.

The Cypreus I polished for the pictures and now am letting it take on it’s natural patina. Amazing how it darkens overnight when I don’t want it to, while other copper pieces that I wanted to darken don’t!

Copper will take on a pinkish look from handling in daily use, will hardly ever go the dark old penny look unless you put it on the shelf and leave it there. Or at least, that’s the way mine does.

The fins on the Texas Poker get green in them, have to wipe em clean daily. Benefit of living in a sweltering hot climate. :wink:

So far I haven't been able to find one light to fit my requirement for EDC by itself. So I carry two. A zebralight H602w, and a modded eagletac TX25C2.

The H602 gives me lots of run time if I need it, and is great for close up stuff. Just a nice even wall of light/mule on high. The tx25c2 is there for throw.

If I had to pick only one light to have with me it would end up being the SC600IIw.

Feels good in the hand
Small size
Light weight
No sharp edges
Bright
Interesting
Unusual
Different from what I carried last week
Nice looking
Run time
Reasonably good throw
Multiple modes
Tail switch is nice but prefer shorter length
High color rendering index
Cheap common primary cell, or a rechargeable I have a charger for
Rugged, dependable
I am currently carrying a Smiling Shark SS-508 XP-E CR123a aluminum TrustFire Mini 01 clone. And weighting for drivers and leds to hop up an SS-5039.

1. small size

2. long runtimes on low

3. warm or neutral

4. anything not foursevens. they make poop.

1. Quality = Has to work all the time , every time .

2. Price = If you cant afford it ?

3. Modes = High Med Low ( Moon ) , discard or hide the flashy modes

4. Efficiency = Is it efficient with your battery of choice ?

5. I want AA = New technology , more development has resulted in much better AA lights

ATM my fav EDC is the C15A , this little light has become my flashlight of choice , I used to Love the L2's , but better made AA lights are making them a 2nd or 3rd choice .

Its getting to the point Im considering a " garage sale " for most of my single 18650 flashlights , I hardly use them anymore .

A few more years , a few LED updates , new tech , and the single 18650 might become redundant ( replaced by single and double AA lights )

I know , the single 18650 will offer more power , more throw , etc , but will it fit in your trouser pocket , will it be there when you need it ?

This is where single AA or AAA rule the roost , easy to EDC .

I have a small AAA on my keychain , and when I go out for a walk in the evening , the easy to pocket C15A goes with me .

( Parasitic drain has not been a issue with the C15A , it seems to go into hibernation mode and draws very little current )

1: As small as possible, no sharp edges.
2: 16850 cell so I can go weeks without recharging or changing cells.
3: Very bright (~500 lumen high) With good steps to medium and low moonlight would be nice
4: Zoomie so I get flood and throw.
5: No audible noise, no visible PWM
6: Good UI with no blinky or disco modes.

What I’m using now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraFire-12W-CREE-XM-L-T6-1000LM-LED-Zoomable-Zoom-Mini-18650-Flashlight-Torch-/310688922084?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item485680b9e4

The size and high mode are good, the medium and low modes are not large enough steps down, and they make a high pitch whine.

My requirements…

1) Small (duh!)
2) Runs on a standard, everyday battery that can be bought at any corner drug store.
3) Has some throw (oddly enough, it needs throw because lights without it are A. too dim, and B. too small, which makes them uselessly floody in their lesser capacity). And, I like the offset of small-but-with-throw dynamic.
4) Has a clip.
5) Has one mode. No confusion or complexity needed for such devices, hence, the reason I carry my now three-year-old SK68.

There are many good replies to your 1st question so I will forgo that and answer the second.
I see only one reply to this question thus far.
I think a programmable UI would be a very good option if it was possible to program it via a mini USB or something similar so that more people could have the ability to tweak thier EDC to thier liking without the need to acquire a hardware specific programmer.