What Battery Companies has the Best Customer Service for leaked battery items?

Also was wondering do they pay shipping costs to them? Notice on packages no mention of replacement etc?

Thanks for any replies. :smiley:

What do you mean? No battery manufacturer will replace or refund devices damaged by leaking batteries.

As far as I can tell warranties only replace the defective item or part, and not the collateral damage they have caused. What’s more: batteries and lightbulbs are always excluded from warranties. It’s very likely you’ll find on the package a text that tells you to remove the batteries when not in use. The majority of damage by leaking batteries is caused by not removing those batteries, which is considered to be a negligence of the user.

I think Duracell’s policy is if they leak in your produxt they will replace the batteries.

1 Thank

Welcome to BLF!

Most people here use rechargeable NiMh cells and avoid alkaline cells (“alkaleaks”).

In my opinion, the leaking “guarantee” isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. A decent charger and couple of sets of NiMh are better value long term.

For “fit and forget” lights, I’ve used energizer lithium cells in the past, they’re expensive but don’t leak. Now I’m coming up for replacement (5+years of standby), I’m moving towards just using Low Self Discharge NiMh.

1 Thank

Thanks for stopping by, SC70!
In the long run, high quality LSD cells like Eneloops and Ikea Laddas are cheaper than Alkaleaks, and if they leak, they won’t ruin your electronics like Alkaleaks do.
I don’t put Alkaleaks in anything that I actually care about.
(Actually, I don’t use Alkaleaks.)

Panasonic (eneloop). Never had a single device destroyed since I kicked the alkaleak habit, so never needed to ask them for compensation.

I think any alkaleak manufacturer, if you asked them “your product destroyed my device”, the response is probably going to be “your fault, jog on”, maybe a free pack of alkaleaks.

I prefer rechargeable batteries, except I still use 9V alkaline batteries in my smoke detectors having not found a suitable replacement.

I am curious if anyone has been satisfied after using the battery “no-leak guarantee” offered by Energizer where "Energizer will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by leakage … ":

EnergizerÂŽ No Leak Guarantee

Also, in the United States prior to 1996, alkaline batteries could contain mercury to help prevent the buildup of internal gases which might cause the battery to leak:

Mercury in Batteries | US EPA

There are a handful of devices that will not run with Eneloop type rechargeable batteries as the voltage is too low. Some thermostats for example.

The best non rechargeable battery is without a doubt Energizer lithium. 20 year shelf life. Will not leak under any circumstances (abuse not included.) For slow drain devices they will run for years.

Expensive but amazing.

If they can get the prices down to alkaline levels, alkaline would become obsolete overnight.

1 Thank

Yep, basically : NiMH for most things, Lithium for the stuff that doesn’t work well with NiMH’s lower voltage, except for cheap devices where I still use alkalines.

Do/can NIMH batteries leak?

Yes, they can, but if they do, I don’t think they ruin anything that they’re in like Alkaleaks do. :+1:

They can, but it is very/very rare. So rare, that after 20+ years of using hundreds of cells of several different brands, I have never had one leak.
If I wasn’t involved in forums like this, I doubt that I would have ever heard of them leaking. It is that rare!

The accounts I have read where they did leak, it was mostly just barely noticeable leakage that didn’t damage the device where they were installed.

IOW, it is not a significant problem. Even less so if a person takes reasonable care (follow best practices ) in handling the cells!

+1 to that. Don’t depend on warranties being honored for issues that you can avoid entirely.

Sorry for bringing this up … again, but I would like to update my experience on the subject.

The missus thought we had a leak because she found water on the stairs to the bedrooms.
(turned out to be from washed socks she carried in her hands :rofl: )
But nevertheless I had to look into it to come to that conclusion.
I remembered having an old level ruler with a built in laser, that could point me from the puddle to the source.
Well the source must have been in mid air, so my wife turned out to be the culprit.

I had not used that ruler in over 20 years so the laser light was very faint. A few new AA batteries fixed that.
Then I looked at the old batteries. A bit low in energy (of course) but absolutely looking pristine and dry!
They were “SUNRISE heavy duty” zinc-carbon batteries made by Asahi Battery Co in Japan, expiration date August 2002.