What blade did you EDC today?

I have thought about getting on of the mini osborne knives for a while now, just not sure they are worth the price of the standards size. Even saving $20.00 on them is not swaying me to buy one. If it was 50 or so bucks savings I would.

if you dont want to pay the Benchmade price, there is a cheap clone if you just want to try out the form factor.

I find the sculpted Osborne spine fascinatingā€¦ strong tip, narrow mid (not a clone):

That Benchmade clone looks interesting.

I have a couple of BM clones made by Enlan and a couple made by Ganzo.

Hey Folks,

Can yā€™all help me on a decision I have to make? Itā€™s about the scales on a big knife. Ok, a giant knife. Iā€™m making a MagnaCut Bowie with an 18 3/8ā€ OAL, 13 3/8ā€ blade. I have a dark purple G10 material and thin orange G10 liner material for scales, or I have a few options in stabilized wood. Mesquite, Walnut, or burl Desert Ironwood.

Any thoughts on what would really make the big blade pop? I was leaning towards the G10 in thoughts of updated materials but of course original design and wood are almost a given. I plan to use the Bison leather I got a little while back for a sheath.

Appreciate the helpā€¦

Hereā€™s where Iā€™m at, need to get my logo laser etched then off to heat treatā€¦

Nice!

Yes! :wink:

Oldie but goodie:

Wow Jon, neat bit o kit there!

I got lucky and scored a gorgeous pair of burl scales!

I think I have to go this route. Surprised when I opened the package and saw these.

Edit: Updated pic with scale referenceā€¦

@jon_slider

Random question:
Im curious what you use as your ā€œbackgroundā€ for all your photos?
Every time I see one of your photos, I get more and more curious what exactly im looking at here lol

Thank you Sir!

a bit of Barrel Knife History

This one came to me when I was a young boy, over 50 years ago, and it was old then. I dont know much about it, I received it as a gift, while living in Spain, from an old Hippy named One Eyed Mose. He was returning from a trip to Scandinavia, and also gifted me a beautiful Pukko, which unfortunately I no longer have.

Years later I had a torrid affair with one of his Very Beautiful Daughters, when we lived in a house called El Hombre Que Baila Sobre Un Volcan, previously owned by one Lord Timothy Willoughby, who was lost at sea, enroute to Corsica a decade earlier.

There is a book by Michener, The Drifters, that chronicles some of the happenings on the Costa Del Sol during that timeā€¦ but I digressedā€¦ long agoā€¦ lol

Those were very good old days. When I touch that knife, a flood of fond memories come alive. :wink:

Fantastic back story! Iā€™m such a glutton for back story!

Oh to remember all the ā€œsordid detailsā€ of youth!

Edit: made me recall my first knife, some 55 years ago my Dad had flown to Scotland and coming home he bought me and my brother beautiful little pearlescent handled American Airlines pen knives. He showed us first how effortlessly they glided through paper, be careful, he warned! I promptly headed outside to carve a branch, slipped and sliced 4 fingers quite deeply, blood everywhere! Mom wanted desperately to trash the little beauties but Dad made the argument Iā€™d never do it again! Lol (For the most part, I havenā€™t!)

fun sharing
random photo of my oldie but goodie knives

seldom seen second cut stag (hence the marrow)

Modded Ruike L11 (Sanrenmu WA911)

Added the liner lock from an LD11, swapped in the weaker spring and added a half stop.

Why? Because we have this law that you are only allowed to carry folding knives if they are either two-handed or do not lock automatically. I prefer to have some kind of lock to prevent accidents while (mis)using the knife.

The LD11 without the lock and stronger spring is still very usable.

Hereā€™s the making-of:

Sadā€¦

I have 5 Boker German made automaticsā€”4 older pattern lever locks and one SpeedLock II.

Too bad.

Chris

Except for some specific types you can own almost any knife. And what you are allowed to carry is enough for most tasks. There are also exceptions for some specific uses. I canā€™t say that I see any sense in this law, but I can live with it mostly.

Many knifes from Bƶker today are just rebranded Chinese knives.

No, I get it. We do the best we can within the laws. Iā€™m in Florida and pretty much anything goes with a concealed permit.

Boker does make knives in China, but the 712/715 are Tree Brand German made knives, patterned after the Luftwaffe pilotā€™s auto, from WWII.

The SpeedLock II is a more modern German produced knife, that was converted here in the States.

Chris

Iā€™ve been using Instagram and I forget to post pics here. I carried the Sencut Snap today.

Sitivien ST244 with RWL34 Damascus blade in my pocket:

Iā€™ve been carrying this little guy for a couple of days now. Since it actually qualifies as a budget knife, Iā€™ll write up a little on it in the other thread.