What blade did you EDC today?

Today was the Asher Douglas

Sanrenmu 9306 slip joint:

Well, wellā€¦ I didnā€™t realize Asher Knives produced a new model. Iā€™d not seen the Douglas before. Nice! Reminds me of the Centri, with that long groove. Checked out their siteā€¦ and wow, everything is sold out. I wonder if this company is preparing to retire the business? I have two of the Nomad knives with S35VN blades. Really terrific action on them, with bronze phosphor washers.

Thereā€™s some nomads dropping this week according to Instagram, and Spiroā€™s are coming

I think they just changed up the business model and arenā€™t carryt a lot of stock

My faithful companion for almost a year now, Endura K390.

Thanks. I donā€™t follow Asher on Instagram so Iā€™d never have known. I love the Nomad. Itā€™s by far one of the smoothest operating folders I haveā€¦ a little plain, somewhat reminiscent of a Ganzo, but better. So much better.

A vintage K55K given to me by my dad 20 years ago.

Been wearing my 2nd made 5ā€ CPM-3V in a Kryptek Highlands cordura pattern kydex sheath. Mondo sharp and stout in spades. The scales are darker than Iā€™d intended, Mesquite with a goldish band of burl. Pins are Titanium of course. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve completed 6 knives, have 5 ready to send out to heat treat. Got stopped temporarily by health issues. Aggravating. It is what it is.

Contemplating a couple that are challenging, a Kris and a folder. Weā€™ll see.

^ VERY nice work there, Dale! :+1:

Thank you. Work is the key word there! Just spent a total of 5 hours polishing the blade. ( glutton for punishment!)

Get well Dale! And keep making knives :slight_smile:

Not EDCing it today (I stick to folders for EDC) and not budget either, just showing off:

I bought an Esee Xancudo fixed blade because I wanted a small fixed blade for camping and this knife seemed lovely to me. Apart from that I like the shape and the styling with the hole, it hits all my boxes: small size, non-agressive drop point blade, flat grind, tough enough premium stainless steel, great ergonomics.
But I bought it with the intention to die the scales because the flashy black-orange appearance is too much for my taste. I used RIT Die-More in Racing Red with a littlebit Midnight Navy. The colour turned out very nice, a sort of chestnut reddish brown. Now the scales are not screaming at me while still having the cool colour pattern.

Here is the colour when stock (not my pic):

Here is my colour:

That red looks great!

Way better than the original orange.

Nice Jos, did you have to boil it in the dye to get it to take? Iā€™ve found in the past that quality G10 is impervious to chemical penetration.

For my 60th birthday I picked up a Carbon Fiber S90V Benchmade Bugout. Swapped the blue anodized Aluminum bits to Titanium and used Ti hardware.

Kinda funny, got it sharpened to a mirror polished scalpel-like edge then cut my finger with it! After all the tinkering Iā€™ve done with knives, making knives even, I finally got myself on a self gifted birthday present!

Yes, cleaned the knife handle with water/soap/brush, took water+lotsofsalt+die to the boil in a small pan, poured the die-mixture in a high tea glass and stirred the knife with handle down in the glass until a desired colour, then rinsed. It took the die pretty fast, less than 30 seconds.

It is possible that the colour will start wearing off over time but I have not seen that happen yet with my other died knife scales, RIT-died colours are pretty persistent. For fun I died the plastic cap of a water bottle red some time ago, it took the die less well than G10 and also it started disappearing in the dishwasher. So maybe RIT-die does not like dishwashers very well, but I guess that my knives do not either.

Nice bugout! :+1:

To be honest, things have changed a lot since I tried to dye G10. Back in the 90ā€™s my gunsmith buddy went to work in a machine shop that specialized in Titanium joint replacements. He gave me a raw ( greenish) piece of 3/4ā€ thick G10 that was meant to be used as the base for the bone cutting saws , someone messed up the threaded hole placements and it was being trashed. So this was a high end piece of G10, fiberglass and epoxy cured in a high pressure vacuum.

As I understand it, most of todays G10, or knife scale product, is made with an acrylic resin. That may well be the reason. I made grip panels for a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt back in the mid 90ā€™s that refused to take any stain at all, so green they stayed!

The rit dyemore products are designed for synthetic fibers and work great on g10

Happy Birthday :slight_smile:

stoned blade and carbon scales look great together

looks sharpā€¦
sorry for the cutā€¦
hope it heals quickly

I had made a 6.25ā€ Chefā€™s knife that just really struck my fancy, wanted a slightly smaller variation to carry. So yesterday I redrew it and cut one out, ground the bevels and cleaned it up. Both of these are ready for heat treat. The new one, my 12th, is 5.125ā€ blade length also in MagnaCut steel at .215ā€ thick. Thinking about using 8mm thick Titanium sheet for scales to make an all metal EDC. Thick enough to allow some nice contouring.

Itā€™ll be awhile before either of these gets finished. Heat treat seems to be a 6-8 week turnaround. Hope I can hold out and get a last knife design ready before shipping these out, have 6 ready and one more blank of MagnaCut. Have a big decision to make about a recommended hip replacement. Always something.

Do you sell knives? Have a website? Instagram?

Ah, noā€¦ just trying to stay busy. Itā€™s a hobby kind of thing, like flashlights. :wink: Build one or two to tinker around and prove to myself I can.