What did you mod today?

Cool. Good looking flashlight!

Very nice MoreLumens :+1:
Love the color :heart_eyes:

Today (well, yesterday) I modded my brand new Sofirn IF25, twice.

I hesitated for years but now I finally bought a Sofirn IF25, the one with tint ramping from 6500K to 2700K. And it is much fun, really happy with it: it is small for a 21700 light, the chubby light feels good in hand, the UI is well done, the output is good and the tint ramping is magic.

What bugged me though is that the 6500K leds are only 70CRI, but what’s worse: the tint is miles above the BBL, at medium output level the duv of the 6500K leds was +0.0145. This also caused the intermediate tints between 6500K and 2700K to go far above the BBL. Also, at 4000K the CRI was only 80CRI: as well as a tint ramp this light, as you can expect, has a steady CRI ramp.

The first thing I tried was swapping the 6500K leds to the same leds from kaidomain (had them in my stash for a while but never tried them out sofar). KD claims that their 6500K SST20 leds are BA tint which is on top of the BBL. That would not fix the CRI, but it should fix the tint ramp which would shift down to around the BBL now.
It went not as expected, at the same medium level I measured duv +0.0175 now, even worse than stock :frowning: . I lost the KD tint lottery once again!

The only option now was an entirely different led, and because all other decent 3535 leds have a larger die than the SST20, the hotspot of the warm leds would become smaller than the hotpot size of the cool leds, and thus during the tint ramp the mixed hotspot would be cooler tinted at the edge than in the middle. Question is: how noticable is that and does it matter a lot?

The two options I had in stock were 1) Nichia 219b V1 5700K R9050, and 2) Samsung LH351C 5000K 90CRI (the smaller die version of the well-known LH351D that has a too large die for this optic). I went for the Samsung because the leds receive almost 4A at max setting, and the Nichia can hardly handle that while the LH351C is still under its max at 4A. That the tint ramp will only go as high 5000K does not bother me the least, I dislike really cool tints and to stay above 90CRI at all tints is much more attractive.

Here you can see the size difference of the dies after reflow.

And here is an impression of the resulting tint difference between the leds, although photographing tints is not very accurate.

It so appeared that the LH351C leds used were even a bit under 5000K, at max output I measure 4750K in the hotspot, at medium just 4550K. Still the tint difference over the tint ramp remains large and useful despite the cut-off at 4500K: from cosy warm to a no-nonsense-true-colour-revealing neutral.

In the mixed beam you can indeed see the somewhat cooler edge if you look for it but it is not very noticable even on a white wall. The different die size appeared not really a problem.

I was wondering how to show how the tint changes during ramping without transferring picures from my (standalone) spectrometer to computer and then do tedious photo-editing, so I came up with an animation (with a gifmaker phone-app) of screenshots of the spectrometer. This was fast and easy and it show it well.

The measurements were at high-medium output setting of the stepped output mode-set of the IF25. At 4550K the ramp starts at duv 0.071 which is for my taste not too far above the BBL, no green or anything, and from 3500K and down it stays almost right on top of the BBL. It ends at a nice warm 2580K.

For fun here is the spectrum change for the same set of tint screenshots:

As for the CRI, it is 90+CRI at all tints, going from 90CRI with R9=46 at the coolest tint, to 96.5CRI with R9=81 at the warmest tint.

I had fun modding and measuring this light, this alone was already worth buying it :slight_smile: . But I think it will get some use too, I can see me grabbing this one on trips from now on.

Nice mod! yep tint ramping is a cool feature IMO, I have two of them, which I use regularly, one with sliced LH351Ds and one with E21As.

How do those domeless leds behave under the IF25 optic? E21a’s are super-cool of course because Clemence sells the complete tint range in R9080. What MCPCB did you use for the E21A?

With the sliced LH351Ds the beam is excellent
For the E21As I used a Noctigon MCPCB and carclo optics. But maybe it could be possible to use 10mm MCPCBs with the original optic ? Although I preferred to use frosted optics due to the angle tint shift of higher CCT E21As.

Thanks for the link, that was a while ago. Your job is better done than mine :+1: , still I like how mine turned out :slight_smile:

Your E21A version is really rosy! I never realised that Hank was selling this E21A pcb, and you nicely modded it!

:+1: Nice djozz! and yours too, thefreeman.

thefreeman:

djozz:

Thanks guys for sharing this :+1:
I was looking for a light for work that would not reflect back at me while inspecting things. This one should be perfect. :smiley:

wow! that is a really compelling set of gifs

congrats on your mod :beer:

Hello, I have often saw this forum on google, and it helped me once to buy a flashlight, so I decided to register here and share pictures of my flashlights. I hope you will like it.
I am not strong enough in English, so please do not be angry with it :smiley:
I moddified two flashlights, Acebeam TK16 which I added the patina and glowing gasket, the second one is the Convoy S2+ which has made from brass alonefire UV host, this one was milled with few beats and added the patina, also I was made a lanyard with glowing bead.
The S2+ have inside a 2700k LH351D high CRI LED with 4 modes 0.1–3–30–100 5000ma driver.

Great first post Gur_man!

I have swapped stock 6500K emitter with sliced and diced 5700K 90CRI.

Tint is now around 4500-4700K and bellow BBL comparing with Thrunite T2 FC40.

On last photo you can see the beam on the left from T2 FC40 and E70 with new emitter is on the right.

So far this is the best XHP70.2 mod so far. Tintis amazing!!!

beautiful work :+1: :beer:
thanks for the great photos!

Very beautiful mods Gur_man :smiley:
Welcome to BLF :smiley:

Nicely done!

That is one factastic looking flashlight!! I bet many hours of work went into it.

Awesome work Gur-man :+1: :+1:

Gur_man those look great, nice work!! I hadn't thought of carving up a S2 host like that...gives me ideas. Welcome to the forum and don't worry about non-native language skills. :)

Amazing work, Gur_man!
And welcome to BLF :beer:

Thanks for signing up, Gur_man!