What did you mod today?

The dedomed 5700K 519A turned out very nice jon_slider! :+1:

thanks! fun times dedoming 519a!

After a few days I remembered to post it here as well for those who aren’t on reddit.

SFH55 LED in a S21A
17mm MTN-FET driver
Around 25A at the tailcap
Estimated >10.000 lumens at startup
Too hot to hold after 20s

Wow ! Very nice :+1:

Must be fun toy :smiley:

That’s awesome. PIONEMAN on aliexpress has some for sale.

Tom E’s test: The BIG LED SFH55 - 11 x 10 mm 3V no dome monster

At 25A it’s brighter than SB90.2 for 1/3 the cost but half the throw

In such a small reflector, there won’t be much coverage anyway, so I’d say it’s a very good deal.
I have sbt90.2 in S21B and it doesn’t have much throw.

I wasn’t aware of a power driver, and from MTN in 17mm form. Fully configurable down to the temperature step-down. By far my interest would be in DD. Dabbling with high-power LEDs, the bottleneck is in drivers.

Curious to know what cell can deliver 25 Amps (and sustain enough Vf)? And what wiring gauge was used (this too is a bottleneck)?

MTN seems like the only company to sell FET-drivers sadly (which is why I ordered PCBs to make my own in the future)

I used the ultra basic firmware with 1–20–100% and the driver without the 7135 because I don’t expect to use the torch much except giggling for a few seconds

The wiring is 22AWG and the driver spring is bypassed directly to the LED and the switch spring is bypassed as well obviously

I used the Molicel P42A as my go to high-power 21700

Looking over some data posted by 2100 (link), the emitter would need 3.2 Vf at 10k lumens. The Moli should be able to sustain that. The 22 AWG is another thing though. I’ve been using 18 AWG and getting poor results at 20+ amps. Like 5.7 amp loss on .6 Volt drop.
I’d like to order some 16 AWG (silicone) but the sheathing makes it too thick for some builds. I think someone mentioned an alternative. Google search result: GORE Aerospace (link).

You can ask sofirn for their drivers. You sound like you could be better served with a bench power supply though, or you need to pour a coolant like liquid nitrogen on it lol. For some reason you strike me as someone who’d enjoy amateur rockets.

I just don’t see how I could use even bigger wires in such a small host like the S21A
I already had to enlarge the holes in the pill sideways

Also I’m not sure the host can handle even more heat, if it were something larger that maybe can even accommodate 25mm LED stars by default sure

Does Sofirn have both E-Switch and mechanical clicky drivers in varying sizes?

I can’t fit a bench psu in a torch and I got too many expensive hobbies already (dancing [ballet, ballroom, Latin], torches, classic car, [Astro]photography)

Yes they do, you can ask. Some drivers are better than others for the same model, like the SP33 driver changed from buck/boost to FET.
Luna your life and hobbies sound wonderful!

Oh, I was just pointing out that Direct Diving the SFH55 your 25 Amp tail reading may translate to 16 Amps at the LED with a Vdrop of 0.8+ Volts (guesstimated). Granted you don’t have much space in the S2+, but it’s to consider when building high-power lights.

I think Lick is referring to the god-awful Sofirn drivers. They’re not in the business of high-power drivers. They design the drivers for the commercially available emitters (SST40, XHP50.2). Not on the same scale as these S series Chinese counterparts of the XHP70.x or SBT90.x

I know they have FET drivers. I don’t know if any can do 25A, The UI is not always the best but I do t think they’re awful, just imperfect like all drivers.

the A6 driver is also a FET but I don’t trust BG.

My Wurkkos TS30A with Molicel P42 and SFH55 does ~30A at startup and starts to drop fast. Like 0.1A/s

Tail amps don’t equate to LED amps. When you do a lumen test, the emitter is clearly underperforming. It’s just to say, having a high-power LED should be coupled with a high-power driver and the appropriate host/electrical path.

Those DD drivers from MTN would be ideal candidates. Don’t know much about those Wurkkos but if they’re anything as Sofirns, well…

I heard that MTN might use sub-par FETs, as in old ones with a high internal resistance but I’m yet to confirm that myself