What did you mod today?

How careful do you have to be to reflow a led in that board full of components?

I was definitely worried about it. The heat gun melted all the solder on all the components, but everything stayed in place. My only other experience with something like this is doing TS10 emitter swaps - same deal, solder on everthing melts, aux leds included, but it basically stays in place.

1 Thank

Just remember to not sneeze… with all the components flying everywhere LOL.

1 Thank

I also ordered some - was planning to put them in a Convoy Z1.

Might there be any details on what currents they can handle? You mentioned 5-6A. Is that based on them using them in the T1R?
I wonder if the 5050 can handle more maybe up to 8A?

BTW, I also ordered the 3535 variant from FF - when I asked, Ivy added them to my order.
I also wonder what the max of the 3535 is.
Based on FF reddit, it seems like the 3535’s sweet spot is 2A. Not sure if it could handle Convoy’s 17mm 5A buck driver.

Yes, and other lume1 lights. That’s as high as the buck portion of the driver goes, and they are using noFET firmware,

That seems oddly low, even the SST12 can do a bit more at 3A. Very interesting to see you were able to order them, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform in other lights. Maybe @koef3 would be interested in some too.

1 Thank

If you talk about 3535 footprint round-die domeless LED, I already tested one here. It maxes out at 9.4 A with 1421 lm @ 3.87 V

Nice mod, mine may well be 219 version, if such a thing was ever offered(?) but otherwise thankfully not too greenish as that looks like a emitter swap I’d struggle with.

I’ve always wondered why these things aren’t/weren’t more popular, I’ve had mine on my keys for many years and it still looks great. Shame it was discontinued, Ali version would get dinged up quickly on a keychain but would be less weight.

1 Thank

It seems to be a different emitter, compared to the one used by fireflies, or at least a different phosphor mix and construction.

1 Thank

Are there any pictures of this 3535 FF emitter around?

They also use noFET on SFT40 TIR, which can handle more than 6A.

The person who shared this said it’s the sweet spot, not maximum. So I’d assume the maximum is somewhere around 3-6A, but that’s just a guess. A better guess could be made by looking at a test of an existing led from the same manufacturer (Sanan?) with 90cri.

Not afaik. But this is it’s 5050 sibling: FFL505A round-die 3500K CRI95 Rosy-tint Emitter – Fireflylite outdoor

Yeah, I ordered some of this FFL special emitter, but if this 3535 variant also uses round die and white silicon around LES, this is something new (I only know of 3535 round die emitters with glass cover)

2 Thanks

If they haven’t shipped yet, maybe you can ask them to add the smaller one to your order. They were happy to comply for me. I would love to see how they perform in your test!

Also, FF might become a more dependable source for these than random AE stores.

They are shipped already …

Maybe someone can send me 2 or 3 pcs of 3535 FFL emiter for testing…

I just sent an email to ask for 10pcs instead of 5. I can ship you 3 once I get them. May take a while though as I also pre-ordered some of their new lights (X1S, E07x).

Very cool, if it takes a little bit longer it’s no problem, since I am awaiting several new LEDs and I also want to test some of them

3 Thanks

Recently I received an SP10 Pro with a defective switch, so I decided to disassemble the SP10 and make a single-emitter TS10.

I ground the face of the reflector to shorten it, so that the stackup would fit the TS10. While doing this, I think I let the reflector get too hot, as it wasn’t as reflective as before. I then attempted to polish the reflector, which removed the “orange peel” texture, and… kind of worked. I still need to wait for it to get dark to see if this reflector actually performs well at all.

I may try using a TIR, or a reflector from a Convoy T2/T3. I’ll also probably install a different emitter.

I wonder how this TIR would perform. I think it would be easier to install than a reflector, since it’s close to being the correct height for the combination of the SP10 bezel and TS10 head.

Edit:

I still need to wait for it to get dark to see if this reflector actually performs well at all.

In terms of illuminating distant objects (i.e. “throw”), it seems to be roughly equal to a stock TS10 when they are both set to the same ramp level. Probably this reflector isn’t performing as well as could be hoped, after what was done to it.

7 Thanks

If I remember correctly the T2/T3 reflector has a 5mm opening so make sure you have a suitable gasket.
Convoy has 5mm gaskets for 3030 and 3535 emitters.

2 Thanks

That’s the TIR I’m using on my TS10, it performs very good but the problem was the emitter i was using (519a), the beam pattern was very bad with it (square-ish beam, not much throw improvement over the stock TS10). Now I’m using the Yinding 6500K high CRI LED, and it gives the throw i was expecting with very nice tint and color reproduction, and it’s artifact free now, perfectly round hotspot. Hotspot temperature got down to about 5800K using the SP40a TIR.

Edit: Comparison between stock optics TS10 vs single:

Reference

Stock triple, CSP2323 6000K high CRI.

Single TIR, Yinding 5050 6500K high CRI.

7 Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I just put the 5000k SFT-40 that I had recently installed in my PD35 into the TS10, and even with the poor, abused reflector, it now does have quite an improvement in throw. :flushed:

The beam isn’t super nice looking, though. I wonder how this emitter would perform with that TIR. I will probably end up ordering some of those TIRs, to try. I may also grab some reflectors, and try to treat them more carefully.

1 Thank