What did you mod today?

Nice P12! Gotta love that BlingBling! :smiley:

Jos, I have 10mm boards with FET+1 but man are they difficult to build! Two sided, so space is also difficult to manage.

I had my Texas Poker doing some 1117 lumens but decided to go with a Nichia 219 and better tint, it’s now making around 700 lumens with 5 levels and last mode memory… I forgot to enable moon when I built it last time, and would like it to always come on in the lowest setting, but have been loathe to go back inside. I’ve rebuilt it about 5 times, it came with a weird driver that had a blank on level 3of 4 and only made some 135 lumens, that was from Photon Fanatic 4 years ago. I’ve had it around my neck virtually 24/7/365 except immediately following this surgery, but I have it back on again. :slight_smile:

At one point I even put an SBT-70 in it as a mule! High CRI daylight white, but missed the beam profile so …

Have a copper Tool with the FET driver, like it but as usual it’s another modded light sitting on the shelf.

Here’s pics of both sides of the FET+1 10mm board…

FET and 7135 chip are on the inside, the MCU is on the battery side and has to have a contact for the battery bridged across it. Very tight!

Wight redid the layout and got me fixed up with a single sided 10mm FET+1, which is what I have in the TexasPoker now. With everything being so small, it’s difficult to remove the driver for a reflash just to engage moon… I’ve always found that rebuilding is destructive and it gets sloppy looking the more times you work on one, no matter how careful you are.

Actually I think the above pic is a 15mm driver, the 10mm one takes an MMU (MUCH smaller than an ATTiny13, and it’s got 10 legs instead of 8) that has to be mounted onto a flash board, then removed and mounted on the driver. It’s a PITA.

Edit:

November 2014, the first Eagle Eye X6 triple as built from the sample/test light in the early stages of the Kronos group buy. Notice the yellow striping paint it removed from the road when it was tossed out the window at 60mph.

Don’t know how many remember, but Hank at Intl-Outdoors was going to quit making the 32mm triple mcpcb, I ran a poll to get interest up and he made another batch based on that. Pretty sure there have been a LOT of X6 triples made with Hanks Noctigon! :slight_smile:

Building a new light

Wow! That’s a fresh idea! Сool :+1:

After all that high tech something completely different: Neolithic elbow grease.
Last year I won one of Mike C’s drivers in a GAW, and it came in a Warsun CT9T.
It had quite some mass in the tube, with room for improvement (enlargement).
So I took an adjustable hand reamer and started reaming (is that a correct word?)
My first aim was to accomodate a 20700, but that was corrected to a 21-70 (AKA 21700)

So this is what you get when you widen the bore from 19.9mm to 21.4mm

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Obviously I missed that the diameter of the threads of the tailcap was smaller than those at the head
But it turned out OK. A narrow escape in more than one way. Must remember not to knock down walls with it.

For now I’m using the light with a 30Q + sleeve. Must start looking for a real 21-70 (Elon?)

Nice Henk. Its amazing how thin you can get the wall thickness and not have it snap in two. Like you said its not for knocking down walls now.
I have just turned a Supwildfire head from a one piece to a two piece. Missed by a bees dick. I have spares for this light now. :person_facepalming:

Theres some more fantastic mods going on here guys. makes for some real interesting reading. :beer:

Hi Lexel,

Have you detailed this mod anywhere? I'm sure a lot of S42 owners would love to do this.

...on that note, can anyone tell me what the value of the resistor & capacitors that I managed to smash whilst getting the S42 driver out are? I'm thinking the resistor is 103, going by the remains, & the others on the board.

I did no further documentation of the driver than you can see in the pictures

Getting it back together after 2 shorts from small wires be in the way somewhere and other problems was a pain.

I looked through the hole and saw those components and sticked the screwdiver on the PCB with not much force

If people dont want to do 4 hours of mod just replace the whole driver with another one without charging

…but some people might enjoy the pain of four hours modding… :partying_face:

Did some work on the charging module and protective case today

Hmm… Some high-end (super)cars have plexiglass bonnets (US: hoods). To reveal their majestic entrails.

Yeah I’m looking at options, I figure I can make several interchangeable casings for this light but the carbon fibre was at hand today.

Carbon fibre is the best stuff :smiley:

That looks nice CRX, you can drop it off over at my friends in Moffat and they’ll send it on over with Christmas gifts in a couple of months. Thanks man! :smiley:

I swapped my S30R javelot emitter for an Oslon square 3000K 96 CRI.
My first time trying these LEDs, and I have to say that I’m impressed.
Nice warm tint, no rose or green shift, however the reflow is not straight forward as the footprint is a 2*2mm and you have to center it on the XP print.

:slight_smile:

I cant believe you hid all that amazing work CRX. If Dales mate does’t turn up let me know. :wink:

CRX builds are really awesome… He is crafting master