What did you mod today?

Ahaha, this light is so nice in the short version :smiley:
I tried mine with the S2+ shorty tube and since that I almost didnā€™t use the long Tube! Specially after turning it into a triple :smiling_imp:
Nice to know that the Jaxman tube also fits :wink:

Iā€™ll tell you, I almost jumped on that one, as it is really ā€œcuteā€ but capable to get beaten a lot :stuck_out_tongue: But then my wallet complained and I had to quitā€¦ Maybe later!! :innocent:
Those numbers are impressive I gotta say! :open_mouth: :+1:

I have made a post in the ā€œWhat Legoes with What?ā€ thread, the short tube is a nice option but the best upgrade for me is the Luxeon V emitter I really like the 4000K tint and the beam profile IMHO is so much better than the XP-L2

Amen to this!! :wink:
I wish more companies used that LED, if not more, due to the tint and beam :wink:

Itā€™s a 50ml tube of LOCA TP-N1000, itā€™s a glue meant for repairing phone displays so it should be highly transparent and have a refraction index close to that of glass, specs for light transmission I found online vary but they are all in the 98-99% range. To the eye the finished piece looks very good, when put side by side with a sheet of the same filter I used the ar glass + filter combo actually looks more transparent.

Thanks! Appreciate the welcome, hope to do some more involved mods as well. Really like what you guys are doing here.

Iā€™m fairly new to modding flashlights, but i did manage to swap out the emitter on my D25c. I pulled the old cool white xml and installed a Nichia 219 4000k 90+ cri on a shaved down noctigon. I should have swapped drivers while I had it open, but unfortunately i didnā€™t have any on hand.
I will likely end up trying to build it into a triple Xpl-hi

Was moving very carefully this morning with my back out, messed up a couple of days ago then aggravated it yesterday working while on muscle relaxers. So today, another muscle relaxer and out to the shop I go (several hours in, of course)

Took my new little Thorfire TK05 to the spa for a relaxing day of grooming. :smiley:

With the XP-G3 removed and an XP-L V6 3D HD taking itā€™s place and being run by Anduril, this is one beauty of a little EDC for sure! Loved it before, even more so now. Amazing what a little TLC can do for virtually anything, isnā€™t it? :wink:

Oooh, sounds intriguingā€¦

Whatā€™d the XP-L do for the beam? Imagine itā€™s a little more floodier, but the tint of the come-with LED seemed pretty good, what little I played with it so far.

You ground off the little knipples on the knurling, too? :smiley:

Worry, itā€™s knipples were flat. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I donā€™t grind, I cut. lol

Big guys donā€™t grind, they just cut away :stuck_out_tongue: :person_facepalming:

Nice, Love the Machined Hi-Liteā€™s! :+1:

Makes that little light stand out!

Nicely done.

With Anduril in the little TK05, I get a (settable) 0.20 lumen moon and I set the ramp ceiling at 704 lumens. Double click for Turbo and itā€™s 1301 lumens. Not too shabby from an Efest 14500 cell. :smiley:

Scott, that baked Convoy C8 has a da*n nice look to it as well! :slight_smile:

Today I have replaced stock led in Skilhunt H03. It has now beautiful high CRI, nichia 219b 4500K. On the highest mode it pulls 2.3A, so around 500 lumens.

Lessons learned: if needed, always file down mcpcb before reflowing the led.

Album with pictures.

Nice

Did u flash the firmware or replace with TA driver?

Neither.

I built a new from scratch FET+1 driver and flashed it with Anduril, worked the vertical switch board onto the center of the FET+1 and grounded it with a thick copper sheet to the MOSFET ground pads, then used Sugru uncured Silicone to brace it and affix it in place. So itā€™s potted in Silicone, using the original pcb to house the switch, the head is slotted in the driver bay for the vertical pcb and the Sugru insures it will stay in place without fail.

The pcb I used is an Alex Wells designed A17DDHybridS 17mm. I used a Vishay-Dale SIR404DP MOSFET with 20ga Teflon coated leads.

Do you use a stencil for applying solder paste when building drivers?

I use stencils last 4-5 months and makes building drivers easy once you find out how to hold the stencils on small drivers etc .

Oh yes, stencils make a world of difference for me, building a single driver or 25 at a timeā€¦ itā€™s so much quicker and the end result is professional and neat.

I also found a long time ago that Kester solder paste flows better than anything else Iā€™ve tried and this too adds to the clean professional look.