What did you mod today?

Thought so, I swapped over components on a couple of damaged boards, bit of a mission applying the solder paste with a toothpick and keeping everything in place but got it :laughing:

Recently taking more interest in smaller edc style lights. After purchasing this D25C and carrying for a few days I did a triple mod with xpg2 4000k and frosted wide optics. Much more my flavour now :sunglasses: When I get around to it I want to add an ā€˜eā€™ tail switch.

Nice! What optic did you use?

Carclo 10509

From this to that,

for this

Nice polishing job! :+1:

Very nice bling indeed! Me want! :heart_eyes:

(ok, so Iā€™m not only a Ti freak but high polish gets me every time as well. What can I say?)

DB If I could ā€œcutā€ like you, I wouldnā€™t have to polish.

Yeah, bling is nice, acts as itā€™s own ā€œfind meā€ in low light :wink:

Unfortunately unlike TI, AL might start to lose some of itā€™s bling after a while :frowning:

My scratch built DBC-01 was finished in a hand polished gloss, itā€™s still as shiny today as it was when I made it. The thing I donā€™t like about it is how slick it is in hand. So now I actually go to extra effort to leave a machined finish on the surface for the texture, making it more grippable.

Edit: Somehow, this September that will be 3 years ago already! :open_mouth:

Or you could bead blast it. Love the look and feel of beadblasted ti.

Doesnā€™t bead blasting would leave dimpled shiny surface? Still slippery in my experience. I think its grippier to glass blast it. Glass also eats less than SiC blasting.

- Clemence

Bead blasting is usually considered glass blasting, glass beads of whatever size chosen. Sand blasting is another storyā€¦

Sorry, I confused it to shot peened. Did many peened motorcycle con-rod back in 90s.
We used crushed glass to clean metal surface with minimal abrasion to the metal compared to SiC sand (cheaper too).

- Clemence

In the late 90ā€™s and early 80ā€™s I spent a lot of time at my friends shop, gunsmithing. He used a fine glass bead to clean off an old blue job or rust, it didnā€™t dimple the steel but was very effective at cleaning it up. (this is from an aging and proven fallible memory so the salt grains and all that apply liberally)

My new semi-custom folder has Ti scales and is glass bead blasted for a nice texture that grips well but is still smooth. Elegant looking with the right surface, I suppose these days there is all sorts of blasting media to choose from.

Sorry Scott, but every time I see that baked C8 I get a Marvin the Martian relevance, like heā€™s got a jock strap on and ready for some gladiator jousting or something. My badā€¦

I made some ā€œsoftā€ mods:

- put an XPL-HI U6-3A + Astrolux X5/X6 driver in one of my Odepro KL52 zoomie (It throws well :smiling_imp: )

- ā€œbypassedā€ the spring + put a new driver on my Sofirn SP10B host + an XPL-HI U6-3A (this NW tint is so nice!!! :blush: )

- put an Astrolux X5/X6 driver on the Sofirn SF14 (a bit more powerful, eventually :smiley: )

• put a non-black metal tail button on my shorty triple _Convoy S2_ a lighted tailswitch :wink:

Nothing fancy, but I missed doing some mods :innocent:

Like I said MascaratumB, itā€™s addictive! lol

I had a Jaxman Z1 sitting here with a SBT-70 emitter, the round die is ideal for the nice aspheric lens, but itā€™s so inefficient I just felt like it needed an update. I had a second brass pill so it was easy to just take out the light engine housing the SBT-70 and build a new one on my spare pill. But I didnā€™t have a 22mm driver. So I used a loose TA Avenger pcb as a battery contact and put an old original FET driver on it, piggyback style, to run an SST-40 in the zoomie. This old driver has the large 70N02 FET (the nitrous driver! :smiley: ) from when we first started building direct drive drivers. Should make for a pretty potent zoomie, with 18ga leads to the 40.

Charging up the Basen 26650 that was in the light, will see what itā€™s doingā€¦ :slight_smile:

Edit: With the Basen charged up the Z1 is showing 2333.65 lumens in wide angle (at start) and zoomed in 734.85 lumens. Yeah, one of the reasonā€™s I dislike Zoomies. The SST-40 is pulling 9.29A from the Basen cell. Sounds high, but thatā€™s MUCH better than the SBT-70 was doing!

Sweet :smiling_imp:
Yeah, it is addictive and fortunately the mailman bought some things to play with, yesterday :wink:

Mine are much simpler and not so powerful as yours, for sure, but I guess that almost all of my lights have something that is modded (even if it is a piece of luminous tape around)!

Next week Iā€™ll try the Odepro with the stock driver + XML2 led VS the XPL-HI + the X5/X6 driver :wink: I hope it did improve some meters of distance! :wink:

But meanwhileā€¦show us what you Z1 is capable of when the battery is charged :innocent:

Marvin is waaaay COOL! :smiley: Same tint as the SST-40ā€™s! :person_facepalming:

The Z1/SST-40 combo is making 187Kcd for 864.87M throw. Reasonable I guess, nice compact zoomie with a high quality AR coated glass aspheric.

Maybe I should have put the sliced SST-40 in this one? lol

Edit: 211.75Kcd now with the dome removed. Not a terrific gain but hey, we takes it where we gets itā€¦. :wink: