What did you mod today?

Nice.

I was Gonna ask if you were in Prison-( all that Free Time) LOL

I thought about taking the story that way :smiley:

I left it alone on the first readā€”didnā€™t want to knowā€”HaHa

For me, there are large parts of what CRX said that are true. I lost my 17 yr old first born 14 years ago in Feb. For that, and other reasons, modding to consume the mind and the handā€™s idle time is very much a real thing.

Edit: Just to clarify, there is no humor in this statement. My 17 yr old son choked a 14 yr old girl to death then hung himself in jail one week later. There is no joke here. Itā€™s actually far worse than the simple statement indicates. Sorry for the morbidity, but life takes us where it takes us, as does death.

Light Saber D4 Mark II

I know, I know, its absolutely useless ā€¦

3d printed ā€¦

Sorry for that, Dale.

Sā€™Okay Mike, itā€™s not entirely useless. :wink: (Diversion, yup)

I can see a boy having a lot of fun with that in the dark, any boy, any ageā€¦ :smiley:

Matter of fact, I can see quite a lot of girls having fun with thatā€¦ my sister was a Twirler in high schoolā€¦ an entire twirl team with those lights would be awesome in a half-time show at a football game. lol

Yeah, I just did some fight training ā€¦
ā€¦ but unfortunately I donā€™t have the ā€œforceā€. :person_facepalming:

Well, the first version of the story gave me the creeps. Really.
Second version? Even in the Netherlands inmates are not allowed to have things as a lathe in their cellsā€¦
How do you to smuggel that in? The usual way? Sitting must be really painful.

Next time try to convince us that you keep an old painting in your attic. Under a sheet.
Of a man who sleeps at night :wink:

I dont use a lathe, only hacksaws & files.
How do you think I got outā€¦ :smiley:

I would contribute $10 to a buy CRX a lathe fund just to see what he comes up with

Ha, no! I would never be off it.
Spending all my muny on bar stock :smiley:

If this is a thing youā€™re interested in, lightsaber combat blades have gotten pretty nice these days. Theyā€™re typically very durable, almost as much as a kendo shinai, and consist of a clear or frosted tube with a many-layered coil of cellophane inside. Sometimes the tubes are colored, sometimes clear or white. Also, thereā€™s usually a circular mirror at the tip with a hole in the middle, and some sort of plastic cap.

However, current lightsaber designs are nowhere near as bright as the flashlights we have around here.

The green one is mine, of course.

As far as I know, itā€™s the only one like it in the world.

I donā€™t really duel much though. I mostly just do flow arts with it, which is sort of a cross between martial art katas, fire dancing, and sword juggling.

Nice, TK!
Iā€™ve seen your beautiful saber already a while ago, I guess. Mine was just a quick hack when testing the spiral printing mode for other purposes. Actually my 10-year-old son and I considered building a light saber for the 2018 Scratch Build Contest but this probably would have been too far away from a ā€œflashlightā€.

Mine is - but only until the printed tubes start melting ā€¦

Btw. my black D4 has RGB LEDs inside, so I can switch from good to evil :smiling_imp:

Thats nice to see!

I have the parts for a similar build laying around. But I want to use the new big (2mm^2) ā€œwhite flatā€ I have bought from Neven https://led4power.com/product/osram-kw-cslpm1-tg-2mm2-throw-bare/
I have a thick Aluminium heatsink and prepared 32mm MCPCB. I want to drive the LED at 8,5A with an AMC Driver flashed with Narsil.

I have written a report for my lumensphere:

Thatā€™s fun, no? Although not shown in the pictures above, I set up one of my sabers with a RAGB quad and fancy custom firmware. Iā€™ve just been too distracted with other things to actually finish it.

I find the colors are pretty mild in a frosted blade though, like pastel shades. So Iā€™ve mostly switched to clear tubes with shiny cellophane inside. Or sometimes colored tubes, like the green and purple shown above. Green is for my good days, purple is for days Iā€™m feelingā€¦ a little more confrontational.

Indeed, its fun!
Actually I got rather strong colors with the white filament I used for the tube on the black RGBW D4 but I canā€™t catch them in the picture. Particularly the red is pretty intense. So a color LED (XP-E2 in my case) with a white tube and some power for the LED might yield better results. My printed white tube is rather thin with about 0.5mm of wall thickness but still stable - as long as I donā€™t do real fights ā€¦