What did you mod today?

+1 on “how did this mod go” because it’s a great-looking host, so if the mod isn’t too bad I might make one of my own at some point.

there is a pretty complete writeup here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/rl4vw1/nmd_manker_e05ti_finally_done_mtn15_driver_with/

Armytek Wizard C1 Pro emitter swap to Nichia 519A. I think this is the first light posted using this LED? It’s an sm453 R9080. Very nice tint.

Nice tint indeed! Any amperage figures? What CRI and CCT was the 351D?

Ooooh, first 519 spoted in the wild!

Depending on the switch you could make a round disc (from old credit card) with a hole big enough to pass the rubber tail and still have the tail stand ability. This worked on sk98

Manker E14III with Luminus SST20 4000K FD2

Swapped a Yinding LED into my Eagle Eye X6-SE.

Need to get a new driver, but it works and the focus is good without a retaining ring.

Definitely want to pop that lens off! Very easy and it removes some artifacts from the beam and boosts output 5% or so.

I probably will do this, yeah.

Edit: I did this, yeah. Also reflowed it onto a different star and fixed my driver issues. It’s a linear driver and only pulls 3.3A on high, but it does the job.

That’s a stunning build!

My first build!

• Copper spacer from Kiriba-ru
  • 18350 tube (from Simon on AE)
  • DIY glow gasket
  • Solder wick spring bypasses
  • Screw-on clip (from Simon on AE)

I’m waiting for some resistors so I can replace the current sense resistor so it’ll drive it at 10 amps.

The trickiest of the whole build was to keep thermal past from getting onto absolutely everything somehow.

@TimMc: This is a good photo guide. I am still a total beginner and ignorant in this field, but this makes me want to imitate it…

Looks good Yorick! Curious to see how you modify the Convoy driver to get more amps. I may try something similar to get less amps.

Thank you!
There’s a really good writeup on Reddit that describes it.
Unfortunately yesterday one of the leds stopped working so this pm I’m going to try and reflow the pcb.

It may be worth swapping in LH351D with a rosier tint instead of SST20 4000K FD2. The SST20 LEDs seem to throw further but they create a slightly narrower beam.

LH351D NW from Manker was way too green for my liking.

Small update on my led issue: Several people on Reddit recommend reflowing it so I put an over thermometer in a stainless pan and reflowed it. And she works again!!

Astrolux LT1 LED Swap and Tear-Down

The LT1, aptly named ( :FACEPALM: ), is a very small pocket, or even key chain multi-color LED lantern. It comes with a ~6500K SST-20 and a triple RGB LED. The UI is ok-ish, and not easily changeable, but that 6500K SST-20 has to go for something more warm.

First challenge was to get access to it. The dome was threaded but glued, but used my sticky blue gloves to work it loose:

Beneath the dome:

close up of the R-G-B LED, actually G-R-B in order left to right:

Removed 2 screws and de-solder the LED wires. Thermal grease was on the dry side but spread out well:

Though not necessary to swap the LED, thought I'd remove the driver and take a look. I did get the driver retaining ring loose, but it was also glued with red stuff:

Shots of the driver:

Might be a slight point in the center - will sand it out, and remove the anodizing:

Using a hot air bench tool, removed the SST-40 and reflowed a 3500K 351D from Simon:

Trimmed the wires - were excessively long, and might get a little more amps:

All done, working. Used MX-4, sanded back of MCPCB with 2000 GRIT:

Any other changes or maintenance can now be done - no more glue!

At 3500K and high CRI, much better...

Thanks for that! I was wondering what would have been involved with swapping the primary emitter, I’ve been using my lil lantern a ton lately but feel the same way about that gross emitter.

Not a crazy amount of force required to remove the dome then? Nope guess not, nice!

Fwiw to anyone else interested in one but without the want to mod it, looks like Neal sells it under a different brand name and can be had with a 4000k 90+CRI SST-20

Wish I came across that listing before purchasing two more from Astrolux :person_facepalming:

It’s a pretty basic screw-in pill. The stock driver has little wings, and I needed to put solder blobs on the mtn15 for it to make consistent connection. That took longer than I’d like to admit to figure out. If you’re buying mtn15 drivers for this build, go without the spring. Maybe that’s obvious for some, but it wasn’t to me.

The stock pill is this cheap aluminum little thing, and I wish it was copper. I tried threading my fwaa pill in to see if it’d fit, but it doesn’t.

The led centering ring is also for the 3030 cslnm1 and doesn’t fit a 3535 sst20/219b, so I went with a tir I had. It’s for a 5050, so the beam is a little ragged, but I have some 3535 TIR on the way to hopefully fix that.

It’s such a fantastic host, that was really ruined by having strobe in the main rotation. I have another on the way that I’ll probably keep the cslnm1 in.